Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anybody else have trouble taking swallow tablets or pills?

Zygen

87 users have voted

1. 1. Have you had trouble taking swallow medicine?

• No, its never really been an issue for me
    • Yeah, I had trouble getting used to it
    • Yeah, I still don't take Swallow medicine.

So this is actually a bit odd to be writing now since I just got finished taking a swallow tablet to prevent myself from catching the flu hopefully.

However before then i'll be honest that i've never swallowed any tablets or pills before, and really i only swallowed the one i did after stuffing it in ice cream and accidentally chewing it in two.(that thing tastes disgusting.. )

I've never taken any actual pills though, and before i swallowed the tablet less then 24 hours ago i had never swallowed any medicine.

Normally i just take liquids or chew-able tablets. 

I don't know why exactly, but i just felt like my throat doesn't wanna open when i try to swallowed tablets, or medicine of any kind really. 

Maybe i just lack practice, but anyways. 

I can't be the only one who has or had trouble taking swallow pills and tablets before, can i? I'm not even sure if i could take a pill if i had to, i might just choke on it, or it'd never go down.

I know i'll have to get use to it eventually as most medicine is that way, but i find it kinda difficult personally, its actually a bit embarrassing in a way.

I may be making progress to taking swallow medicine, but anyways.. Enough rambling.

I just want to get to the point and ask the simple question in the title of whether anybody else has had trouble taking swallow tablets or pills? I feel like the majority hasn't, but i'd hope i'm not alone here ;p, or i'll feel kinda awkward.(Don't make me feel awkward and alone :(. )

Ahem. yeah that's about it, so feel free to begin discussing and stuff, Have a good day y'all!

• Brohoof 2

I am fairly good at taking pills which I guess is good for when I do have to take them but I try to make that a last resort for reasons other than my ability to swallow them. Alot of people just don't give their immune systems a chance to fight things as much as they should and that is why there are so many people with weak immune systems.

• Brohoof 2

I am fairly good at taking pills which I guess is good for when I do have to take them but I try to make that a last resort for reasons other than my ability to swallow them. Alot of people just don't give their immune systems a chance to fight things as much as they should and that is why there are so many people with weak immune systems.

Yeah, thats true.

And you know thats actually a pretty interesting and good point, i never thought of it that way.

Maybe the fact i don't take medicine as often, or as potent medicine contributes to why i tend to get sick less often. 

Of course if i do get sick, it usually lasts a good bit, so idk.

But an interesting point, i never thought of that.

Just swallow them with a large gulp of water. You should barely notice the pill unless it's rather big.

I'll have to try that, although i'd still be worried my tongue might just block it.

My mom was laughing as i had my head titled upwards trying to get the small little tablet to go down my throat lol. Maybe i just wasn't thinking enough about it.

It was horrid trying to get used to them. I mashed my first one up and ate it with jam... Then almost puked. Now I swallow them without fail, it's become fairly easy for me.

eww, that sounds like it'd be disgusting, i already thought the tablet i had to take tasted terrible when it was covered in icecream.. 

Maybe i'll get some practice in, i have to take these tablets for a good few days atleast, my brother has the flu and they're to prevent me and my family from catching it.

If you are having trouble with taking tablets try taking them with a carbonated drink. It helped me get used to them :P

I don't drink carbonated drinks, thats another story, but yeah ;p.

i used to be on meds for a long time and after a while i luckily got used to them.

i used to drink something with a very strong taste right before i took the pill, (coffee,coca cola) that really helped me getting it down my throat :P

• Brohoof 1

I usually can do it fine with a drink to wash it down. Sometimes it takes two or three tries, but not usually.

I can't dry-swallow a pill very easily on its own ... but apparently you're not supposed to do that anyway.

• Brohoof 1

----> Me. Me. Me.

---->This topic is me all over the bloody shop.

----->pills suck, i hate them, who ever made them is a sadist.

----->I suffer as nature takes its course and it is a b****. 

:fiery:

• Brohoof 2

Yes! I've had plenty of trouble taking pills and tablets in the past sometimes I have nearly vomited because of them.

Now though I put the tablet/pill on my tongue and knock it back with a drink easy before I would put the drink in first then the tablet/pill  :lol: .  

• Brohoof 1

One of my biggest phobias in the past was trying to swallow a pill. For some odd reason, I had fears of choking on it. I would try to drink it down, but I just couldn't do it. Instead I would let the pill dissolve in water and then drink it all down. I got made fun of for it sure, but it worked fine for me. Then one day I just said to myself I was gonna swallow it down and after taking a really big sip of water and doing a really big swallow it all went down. Now I don't have any trouble with it, but I still take one pill at a time, as opposed to some people I know who swallow multiple pills with one sip.

You'll get over it Zygen, just keep practicing. :)

• Brohoof 2

It's easier for me to swallow medicine but, when swallowing pills I would need to take it with some water for the pill to go down faster. Just keep practicing, with some water.

• Brohoof 1

I actually couldn't swallow pills when I started doing it. I was about 6 or so then, I had it crushed up into my food so I wouldn't taste it. I started practicing with just empty capsules until finally one day I got it. Never had a problem since then.

In fact, now I take my entire handfull of pills at once. :P

• Brohoof 1

I don't have any issues at all... well, at least I don't think I do. I had to take these large capsules in my teenage years for some kind of minor illness; that's pretty much the extent of my experience. I took big gulps of water, that probably helped a fair bit.

• Brohoof 1

Only kind of pill like medicine I've ever taken would be aspirin and for me I just knock it back with a glass of water no problem. I vaguely recall having to take a rather large pill dry at one point, and I still remember that being the worst. 

• Brohoof 1

Been taking them since I was 6. I don't understand why it's such a problem for people. :/

Some people have hyper-active gag reflexes, phobias or physical problems that make it an issue. I have a friend who in her 20's developed a problem with her throat to where she couldn't swallow most food until she had corrective surgery. The pills they wanted her to take were out of the question.  

• Brohoof 2

Some people have hyper-active gag reflexes, phobias or physical problems that make it an issue. I have a friend who in her 20's developed a problem with her throat to where she couldn't swallow most food until she had corrective surgery. The pills they wanted her to take were out of the question.  

lol "This woman just had throat surgery" "Here take these pills" "Oh wait...."

• Brohoof 2

This used to be an issue for me, but then I got really sick. I had to take pills. Lots of them. Now I can take handfulls at a time, except with something really cold. If what I'm drinking is cold, it just sits in the back of my throat and I can't swollow, and it sits there and turns to mush and pill gross.

• Brohoof 1