Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Anyone remember Thomas the Tank Engine&Friends?

Serious Sam

I only saw it in books when I visit UK as a kid. I really liked the models and faces, especially Gordon. But the newer shows, if they now are new, didn't work for the "grown-up" me (sadly)

Major part of my childhood. I was crazy about it until I was about seven when it changed to CG. Not that I didn’t like the change, I was just moving on. Can’t ever beat the model railways though!

I hope that new version crashes and burns and they can go back to something that actually has a unique style.

• Brohoof 1

Yes. I remember it. It sucks that its not airing in the US anymore. It was airing on PBS Kids for many years, then it got moved to Nick and Nick Jr Channel in March 2018. Then in late 2019, it was removed off of Nick and Nick Jr Channel, and then it has not aired in the US anymore. 

• Brohoof 1

I used to watch the model episodes with my nephew, who also collected the train figures. One of the episodes I saw was narrated by the last person I expected to narrate a Thomas episode - George Carlin.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I watched it when I was a child, it sometimes was shown on Cartoon Network. The only problem was that I did not really understand English at the time, so I was pretty much looking at the models.

I recently decided to download the first few seasons and watch them - cool stories.

• Brohoof 1

I liked it until the CG era. I had to wait for the VHS and DVDs though to actually be able to watch the entire series. 

I never understood, and still don't,  why they(and European trains in general) are pulling virtually nothing compared to North American steam power.

Then again growing up I was shown "last of the giants" or something first, which was all about the Union Pacific's Big Boy steam locomotives and the Great Northern's, Northern Pacific's, Canadian National's, and Canadian Pacific's big steam power, like the Yellowstone's. I mean there, even not the bigger ones, they're pulling 50+ cars.

• Brohoof 1

'Remembering' is an understatement - to be honest the show was easily my favorite thing growing up, and I still enjoy watching it now, albeit I mostly just enjoy the first five seasons (aka the Allcroft era) and the Andrew Brenner era CGI seasons (S17-21). Either way it was always a big part of my life and was probably one of the biggest inspirations I had for writing stories and whatnot.

I was never a huge fan of it to be honest. I have a lot of love for most of my childhood shows but I never embraced Thomas the Tank engine even then. I’m not sure why, but it just doesn’t click with me. I do respect it though.