Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming What's your Game of the Year?

brian577

It has been a pretty good year of gaming for 2013, but still not by a lot.

Although, my candidate for best game of 2013 goes to fire emblem awakening.

Fire_Emblem_Awakening_US_Boxart.png

It is without a doubt one of the best 3DS games and handheld game of the year.

• Brohoof 4

Pokemon X and Y all the way for me. I had a blast with Pokemon Y. A new Pokemon Generation being in full 3D is a pretty big step forward for the series. Also, finally being able to customize your trainer is pretty nice.

pkmn-xy-jpn-logo.jpg

Edited by Mikami
  • Brohoof 4

I second X and Y. Gotta catch em all...At all hours of the night.

Edit: I r speel gewd.

I mU5T 54Y, j00'r3 4 r4th3R G00d 5P3Ll3r.

Probably The Stanley Parable. It's a game that tries something different for once and it does it really well, almost never taking itself seriously and full of witty dialogue. If indie games don't count, then Bioshock Infinite. It's a shooter, yeah, but it's not Generic Military Shooter #I lost count 2 years ago, and has a brilliant story (it gets even better when you look into the social, religious and political aspects of the story and how they mirror American history), provides an adequate challenge throughout, gunplay is frantic and kept me on the edge of my seat and the inclusion of tears in reality was an interesting concept.

The Last of Us would definitely be my Game of the Year. I loved this game so much when I first played it; from the extremely fun gameplay; to the beautiful atmosphere, and the amazing story and characters. So yeah, The Last of Us from me.

• Brohoof 3

Assassins Creed IV Black Flag, Assassins Creed III was good but not as good as it could have been but Assassins Creed IV addressed most of those issues quite well and introduced an interesting character in Edward Kenway.

For me, the game I enjoyed most would be Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies: More Subtitles: Make It Stop.

I have to admit I never did play Fire Emblem though, and that may be coming soon for me. I also kind of lag behind on purchasing new releases (I get them later for 95% off) so some of the year's games I haven't played.

My hipster retorts go out to Last of Us and GTA 5. I almost kind of feel like the public is very easily persuaded by any story of crime in which the character writing is semi-believable. GTA5 wins that much - the characters are believable. But nothing interesting happened, in my view. It's a long-winded story of certain people having grudges against other people, and things worsening before they get better, etc; few plot twists interested me, and each event felt a bit disconnected and random. Nothing was "wrong" with the story, but nothing was interesting. What's more, it was in no way a massive revolutionizing of the open-world formula. Heck, Batman Arkham games get open-world in a way that's more fun.

As for Last of Us: F*king Clickers. Clickers aren't scary; they're not "tough"; they're just goddamn annoying. It's like a child put together arbitrary constraints of what will cause you to lose a furniture-climbing "floor is lava" game he made up, and he keeps suddenly blurting out "You lose!" when you're 99% certain you've followed every one of those rules to the letter - while, meanwhile, his little brother is quite blatantly breaking all of them right next to him. And unfortunately, when defeating frustrating enemies like that is a mandate of continuing the story, then it doesn't matter how many puppies die in the ending - I'm still not going to be interested enough to see it. I'm just so glad I rented the game, rather than buying it.

Sadly, I have to admit that I now see some solid reasoning in The Walking Dead's complete reduction of all things action-packed and gameplay-oriented; when your story is that good, the idea that someone will just decide to shut off the game simply because nobody thought to include a loading-screen tip on what the player has been doing wrong every single time, probably upsets the writers often.

I don't know... There was nothing incredibly impressive that I played this year. Of course, I pretty much stick solely to Nintendo.

I know that Animal Crossing New Leaf (although a 2012 game, in reality) and Pokemon X/Y were fantastic games, but neither kept me playing for long, or left that big of an impression on me, sadly.

Hm, well in terms of new games I only played 3DS games this year, but man did it get some fantastic games- Fire Emblem Awakening, which I played through twice and would again a third time, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, which despite not having online in the 3DS version is still really fun solo for me and is so loaded with content that I'm not even close to done with it yet, Pokémon X and Y(I have X) which is the first handheld 3D Pokémon game and added so much more to love, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds which may just be the best 2D Zelda ever. The Wii even got a new game worth playing in North America, Pandora's Tower, which is so fantastic and criminally underrated that it baffles me.

If I had to pick one though, it would be Pokémon X and Y- it's Pokémon at it's most refined and best. :D

The rest though... are all very close seconds(especially Zelda) ;)

The Last of Us has to be my game of the year, with how it was put together in story and gameplay.

Pokemon X and Y all the way for me. I had a blast with Pokemon Y. A new Pokemon Generation being in full 3D is a pretty big step forward for the series. Also, finally being able to customize your trainer is pretty nice.

img-2128603-1-pkmn-xy-jpn-logo.jpg

Now you see I have not played hardly any game that has come out in 2013 since it has been a really long time since I gamed any... 

But these two titles *The Last of Us (Naughty Dog) & Pokemon X & Y* I really want to play very badly. I could safely say even without playing them that they would both be my two top games of this year.

• Brohoof 2

"When Stanley came to a set of two open doors, he entered the door on his left."

~Narator

And a whole game stems from this basic decision. Heck, there are choices you can make before you even technically reach the first decision. The Stanley Parable is simply brilliant; the narrative will have you replaying the game again and again to search for another branching story.

It's almost impossible to describe the game itself or even why I liked it so much, but it has earned my vote for the infamous Gold X Award.

Edited by Celtore

Darumeshi Sports Store for the 3DS. This was an amazing year for games, but this was the most bizarre, inventive, and brutally hard thing to come out from Nintendo in a long time. Hoping for an American release.

The Last of Us is amazing(currently playing it). Some parts freak me out, like really scare me. Thats what makes me love this game. I'd hate to see GTA V win Game of the Year. I don't know, I guess since everyone freaked out and picked on others who didn't have the game made me hate it. Pokemon X and Y are good candidates too. I actually thought it would be horrible, but I've seen my friends play it and it looks really fun.

Seeing as how the only game I've played this year were Killer is Dead and Bioshock Infinite, I'll probably go with Infinite. While I enjoyed KiD, it didn't feel as engaging as the other Suda games I've played, on the other hand, I've been really loving Infinite