Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I'm starting to lose it

MooWho

I'm getting this icky thought in my head. I haven't been drawing in weeks and weeks. I just..... Don't feel like the art type

at the beginning of this year I was devoted into drawing but now I don't feel it anymore, I don't feel like this is right. Maybe it isn't? For me it's obvious this isn't going to be my cutie mark of course, I love computers, and this drawing stuff turned from something to do when I'm bored, to I have to get better all the time, practice makes perfect right? Well it's driving me insane, I'm forcing myself to draw and it's uncomfortable, I can't draw circles any more, I can't read anatomy anymore (Like I could from the start) I don't know.

I've tried things from taking a break, drawing shapes and my name and various stuff but I feel like I'm doing this 100% wrong, like the way I'm doing it is long and frustrating when there is an easier way to do it in front of my face. I have ideas, I want them on paper, I don't want to beg for art and people to draw my stuff for me, I want to do it myself. When I get an idea I try to apply it on paper but in never even starts the way I want to look and I just end up dropping it. My pencil must be broken or something.....

I don't feel the art type, but this is something I want to achieve. I'm tired of seeing everyone in my school draw with no hassle while I'm here trying my facking hardest to even draw a circle.

I need help, I haven't been getting the help I need and I've posted here twice. Here's a stupid picture I made just now for this to be relevant. Merry Christmas

m2Pshga.png

Edited by RevivingSociety

It sounds to me like you have got an art block.

I would recommend just stepping back and taking a breather. 

I have found this video on youtube to be very helpful.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe it's the time of the year or something, because I can't seem to draw either.  I usually sketch out manga all the time in bed, but as of late any sort of hair that I draw looks completely ridiculous.  I've even consulted drawing tutorials, but it's like I'm not holding my pencil the right way or something.

You could try taking a break like Omny suggested, but I don't know how long of one you would have to take.  My advice would be to get some inspiration from something.  Watch a good movie or read a book or something that makes an impact and just begs you to release creative freedom (I would suggest Star Wars of course, or As I Lay Dying).  Unless of course, you're like me, in which case I need to find a book that inspires me to draw hair :/

Fixed and stuff. 20 characters

Well you got a good foundation there. Go ahead and flesh it out. Let it flow.

Or is the problem that you just can't do that?

you said your'e in school. Did you have art classes last semester but not this one? Because i haven't done any artwork since because of not just having an hour dedicated towards getting any projects done

Well you got a good foundation there. Go ahead and flesh it out. Let it flow.

Or is the problem that you just can't do that?

That's not the foundation, that's just the random stuff I draw. I can't really draw clothes, hair, or anything so instead the facial expression is just lines with more lines. The clothes are just tasked on the square itself like a texture

This is what I normally put on them. It's just a representation of the jacket I wear daily

9Ao82js.png

It's really more of a "one take or it's out" kind of thing

you said your'e in school. Did you have art classes last semester but not this one? Because i haven't done any artwork since because of not just having an hour dedicated towards getting any projects done

I did not bother taking a class any of the years in middle school, the reason is because school for me is already a big pressure for me considering I like to procrastinate a lot. Having an art project be a leech to my grades would make me a bit more on edge. 

Kind of like how most of the people I know who took Spanish and french actually forgot most of the things they learned last year. So that is why I'm teaching myself, I feel more open

That's not the foundation, that's just the random stuff I draw. I can't really draw clothes, hair, or anything so instead the facial expression is just lines with more lines. The clothes are just tasked on the square itself like a texture

This is what I normally put on them. It's just a representation of the jacket I wear daily

9Ao82js.png

It's really more of a "one take or it's out" kind of thing

I did not bother taking a class any of the years in middle school, the reason is because school for me is already a big pressure for me considering I like to procrastinate a lot. Having an art project be a leech to my grades would make me a bit more on edge. 

Kind of like how most of the people I know who took Spanish and french actually forgot most of the things they learned last year. So that is why I'm teaching myself, I feel more open

then it sounds to me like your'e just not satisfied with your work.

then it sounds to me like your'e just not satisfied with your work.

There is a reason for that.

I was reading a Q&A with an artist and I don't really remember the question but the answer said something like "Never become too satisfied with your work, if you do then you will be over confident blah blah" Something like that, I guess reading that hardwired into my brain so now I'm never satisfied with my work unless it's done.

Thank you for pointing that out, I guess I can lighten up a bit.

Here I found the quote: "I'm not satisfied and never will be and the only way to improve is to never be satisfied. I do that by throwing myself in unfamiliar territory as I did with Ponies. I went from hyper realistic human anatomy to goofy pony shapes. This means you have to accept that for awhile you will output worse then before but that's the point. Your comfort zone is comfortable because it's what produces the best result with the least effort\worry"

I read this when I was still starting out. Them habits dow

How often do you find yourself utilizing the same tools and same methods? (ie. using the same mediums, brushes, styles, characters, etc etc) Maybe you're being a bit redundant and need to switch things up regularly. It happens to me all the time.

• Brohoof 1

There is a reason for that.

I was reading a Q&A with an artist and I don't really remember the question but the answer said something like "Never become too satisfied with your work, if you do then you will be over confident blah blah" Something like that, I guess reading that hardwired into my brain so now I'm never satisfied with my work unless it's done.

Thank you for pointing that out, I guess I can lighten up a bit.

Here I found the quote: "I'm not satisfied and never will be and the only way to improve is to never be satisfied. I do that by throwing myself in unfamiliar territory as I did with Ponies. I went from hyper realistic human anatomy to goofy pony shapes. This means you have to accept that for awhile you will output worse then before but that's the point. Your comfort zone is comfortable because it's what produces the best result with the least effort\worry"

I read this when I was still starting out. Them habits dow

A lot of times artists are frustrated with their final piece of work because unlike the spectators, we know that there are mistakes, and we can't help but stare at them and not just the whole picture. It's a constant battle we all have within us that often decides whether to continue and show our work or crumple it up and give in to the hate of that one imperfection.

Edited by SharpWit