Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can alicorns be born, or only created?

Never2muchpinkie

Well, technically its only be shown that Alicorns can be created.

And i've kinda just always had my headcannon that Twilight and Cadence were made Alicorns, and Luna and Celestia were born Alicorns.

However, i don't think Alicorns that are born are just born by mixing a bunch of different pony races together, I think it requires some special something to be born, i don't think they can just be born by normal means.(Assuming ponies are born by normal means, which is mostly safe to say can be assumed.) 

What exactly is needed to have an Alicorn be born, well i'm not sure. But i don't just see it as any Unicorn and Pegasi could get together and maybe get lucky. Maybe they have to be born from other Alicorns, maybe they are born without any ponies involved and simply by magic of some kind.

Really its hard to say since we have had literally zero examples of born Alicorns in the show, so really most of what we can do is simply speculation. 

I do feel like some are born though, Such as Celestia and Luna, but again just not by normal means, because if that were so i'd imagine there would be atleast a few more Alicorns born, and they wouldn't all be royalty.

I was kinda hoping maybe Cadence or someone would have a foal, just so we could figure out if Alicorns can give birth to Alicorn foals. I guess its not happening for atleast this season though.

Atleast we have proof that Alicorns can be created with S3's ending. Its just whether the other way is possible.

According to Lauren it is as she says that Celestia and Luna were born Alicorns, but as she doesn't directly have involvement in the show we can't really be 100% sure on everything she says as being true.

However i will say that Celestia and Luna being born Alicorns could be supported by the fact that in the Flashbacks Twilight sees they're Alicorns in each of them. This atleast could prove that they didn't become Alicorns after any of these tasks. 

Of course even that could be crushed by the fact that its possible Twilight just saw them as she knew them, especially with how Luna and Celestia both looked the same age during all the flashbacks.

Tl;dr Alicorns are a very complicated and mysterious subject in the MLP universe ;p.(Although fun to discuss :D.)

• 4 years later...

I don't think that it was possible for an alicorn to be born before flurry heart as on the episode that flurry was revealed, celestia said that they have never seen an alicorn to be born before meaning that once they were either unicorns or pegasi i would believe that they were unicorns, meaning that twilight and cadence will be immortal

(excuse my spelling i have a heard time spelling some words)