• I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT!

(edited)

https://mlpforums.com/calendar/event/135-%7B%3F%7D/?module=events

Title: The Return of Harmony (Part 1)
Air Date: September 17, 2011
Synopsis: The peace of Equestria is threatened when Discord, Spirit of Chaos, escapes from his imprisonment in stone. Twilight and her friends must defeat him using the Elements of Harmony. If only they can find them!

https://mlpforums.com/calendar/event/136-%7B%3F%7D/?module=events

Title: The Return of Harmony (Part 2)
Air Date: September 24, 2011
Synopsis: Discord’s mischief causes a rift between the six friends and renders the Elements of Harmony useless. Twilight needs to rekindle their friendship in order to use the Elements against Discord. Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 4

• 4 weeks later...

Am I the only one who found this similarity really funny?

Applejack: I'm the get-alongiest pony there is!

Rarity: That's not even a word.

Applebloom: Maybe, if you were actually victoryful at something!

Sweetie Belle: That's not a word!

• Brohoof 20

• 4 weeks later...

<3 Favorite pair of episodes, for obvious reasons. As for premiere VS finale, yes I agree it was dramatic, but at the same time that works as an opener for me personally. Get's you psyched for what's to come.

• Brohoof 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The episodes seem too much of a season finally to me, not a premier - it was too..... dramatic?

It was overly dramatic, but the last episodes blew these two out the water so I can live with that

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

The episodes seem too much of a season finally to me, not a premier - it was too..... dramatic?

I agree

Fun Fact: Return of Harmony was originally meant to be the season finale of season 1, but got bumped to being the first two episodes of season 2 not long after being finished. I don't know the exact reason, but that's why it's a pair of dramatic episodes with such a powerful, new villain.

• Brohoof 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This was the perfect season opener. It may have had a problem with pacing, but it made up for it with it's humor. We also got discord which is now a very popular character. But why wouldn't he be?

• Brohoof 2

We also got discord which is now a very popular character. But why wouldn't he be?

I think it's very interesting, seeing that Discord is 'based' off of Q from Star Trek, and both Q and Discord were only meant to show up once, but their characters got so well-received that their respective shows brought them back in future episodes :3 Just goes to show that the 'god-like, witty villain' style of antagonist is a very popular one.

• Brohoof 2

I have a thing for Discord. I really do. His voice is the best.

Yeah, the voice actor for Discord did a supurb job. As for the season primier vs finale, I think it was a good primier, but probably would have been a better finanle. It's interesting that it was supposed to be the season 1 finale though... makes me wonder what they were going to use for the season 2 primier though.

• Brohoof 3

[...] but their characters got so well-received that their respective shows brought them back in future episodes :3

Discord's coming back? When was this confirmed? :o

Yeah, the voice actor for Discord did a supurb job. As for the season primier vs finale, I think it was a good primier, but probably would have been a better finanle. It's interesting that it was supposed to be the season 1 finale though... makes me wonder what they were going to use for the season 2 primier though.

The only way that that the Return of Harmony duo would have been used as the season 1 finale was if season 2 was never ordered. Season 2 would not have existed, and thus not have had an opener, if that had happened.

• Brohoof 1

Am I the only one that enjoyed this season opener a whole lot more than A Canterlot Wedding? While A Canterlot Wedding was big and had songs, this special focused more on the Mane 6, and since Discord was pretty much freakin' messing with their entire friendship, we got to see some really interesting conflicts. The mind modification might have been going a bit too far, but then again, he's Discord, I suppose as the spirit of chaos he could do whatever he wants, until he got locked up in stone again.

New York Comic Con, I think.
  • Brohoof 4

It was reported through EQD a short while back as one of several pieces of information ^^ You can find it here on EQD, and it's also talked about plenty in Show Discussions' Season 3 pinned topics.

"Discord is pretty much 100% confirmed."

• Brohoof 3

@,

Pretty good two-parter. Shades of a classic science-fiction character brought into light (Discord = Q from Star Trek) but it was almost as if Studio B decided to re-use the Q character and methodically put him in a more menacing/evil look rather than draw just SOME influence from the character. Q always fucked around with Captain Picard, always challenging him and trying to put him (and his crew, really) in his place, but never did he have malicious intents - of course, they could be mistaken for it, considering the enormous power difference between the two species (humans and the Q continuum), though it was pretty clear after Voyager's encounter with him he was just looking out for the entire human race.

Hey, I just got to this - maybe Discord isn't malevolent or harmful at all. Maybe he's just there to teach Equestria about Celestia's own teachings about friendship, rather in a tough kind of way? That said though, he did stir up trouble during his brief rule, so it would be a monumental sacrifice for him to just keep on doing this.

Edited by Devin McCourty
  • Brohoof 3

I think it's very interesting, seeing that Discord is 'based' off of Q from Star Trek, and both Q and Discord were only meant to show up once, but their characters got so well-received that their respective shows brought them back in future episodes :3 Just goes to show that the 'god-like, witty villain' style of antagonist is a very popular one.

Being a Trekkie, a season premiere that based it's primary antagonist on a villain that I grew up with was very kickass. I'm so glad that did this because not only would fans of Star Trek quickly catch the reference, but it's on a children's show too. :P

Very epic episode. I actually liked this better than The Canterlot Wedding just because of the character drive and storyline. Truly an amazing job from the writers.

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

I personally loved Discord he's so funny. Plus seeing the Mane 6 suffer like that certainly brought a smile to my face. I hope to see him wreak havok again. EMBRACE CHAOS!!!!

• Excited 1

• 2 weeks later...