Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could Power Ponies pave the way for a new comic series?

Jammo

15 users have voted

1. 1. Do you think IDW will make a Power Ponies comic series>

• Yes
    • No

The main series MLP comic has been excellent thus far, and has sold very well for a kids series.

Anyone else think this new episode could pave the way for the Power Ponies to be their own Comic Book universe?

Unless they get more powerful villains, it probably wouldn't be very entertaining. Six superpowered ponies against one supervillain and her hairdresser henchponies? Just look at how the bad guys got curbstomped! Also, I think DC and Marvel might sue IDW, since the powers of the ponies are really similar to established superhero characters.

Unless they get more powerful villains, it probably wouldn't be very entertaining. Six superpowered ponies against one supervillain and her hairdresser henchponies? Just look at how the bad guys got curbstomped! Also, I think DC and Marvel might sue IDW, since the powers of the ponies are really similar to established superhero characters.

I dunno.  The latest episode felt like they could have done a lot with this setting and no doubt fanfic writers are expanding it as we speed.

And I don't think they'll be sued as DC and Marvel have blatantly used each others hero concepts for decades.

The Flash / Quicksilver

Green Arrow / Hawkeye

The Atom / Antman

Plus it could fall under the parody category and be protecting.

But you're right about villains.  It might work as an annual, not a monthly.  Like every year we get one short story of the Power Ponies so it doesn't wear itself out too quickly.

• Brohoof 1

When they run out of characters for the re-vamped micro-series(which will happen quick, that changed to a two shorter comics per book format), it might be a good idea if they still want to continue releasing two different comics by that point.  

I think it would be a great idea, but it's better suited for a one shot rather than an ongoing series. And if Marvel/DC could sue them, then they could just as easily do it now. So what's the difference?

I think it would be a great idea, but it's better suited for a one shot rather than an ongoing series. And if Marvel/DC could sue them, then they could just as easily do it now. So what's the difference?

One episode could be considered an homage. An entire comic book series, whose main selling point is a group of Captain Ersatz heroes? Not so much.

One episode could be considered an homage. An entire comic book series, whose main selling point is a group of Captain Ersatz heroes? Not so much.

It worked for Squadron Supreme, which was Marvel's Captain Ersatz Justice League, though. Or the (unrelated) Supreme by Image Comics, whose run by Alan Moore was basically a Superman love letter.

It worked for Squadron Supreme, which was Marvel's Captain Ersatz Justice League, though. Or the (unrelated) Supreme by Image Comics, whose run by Alan Moore was basically a Superman love letter.

Perhaps. I'm neither a lawyer, nor a comic book fundi.

I really like the episode and all, but i don't think they would or could.

The problem is all of the power ponies have powers based off other comic book heroes, and if they went further with it those comics might sue whoever creates the comics.

Sure it'd be a cool idea, but they'd probably get sued realistically. Unless they totally changed the power ponies, but then it would take away from part of the charm.

So i doubt it'll become a comic unfortunately.

You can bet Hasbro is putting that under consideration.  They aren't like Disney, who will sit on a good idea for no reason.  They canned current plans for Equestria Girls due to the mixed reaction of fans.  Considering Power Ponies was enjoyed by most, and it didn't even take a week before the first fanfic came out, they've pretty much got a thumbs up for that one.

My guess is that they'll test it out with the next Annual.  That way, it can test the waters, like the EG comic did.

You should read Astro City. The whole series is full of Captain Ersatz! It'll be fine.

Samaritan - Superman

Winged Victory - Wonder Woman

The Confessor - Batman

Jack-in-the-Box - Spider-man

The First Family - Fantastic Four

Anyway. I really would like to see a full comic series about the Power Ponies. It sounds really fun and better than anything DC and Marvel have done lately!

Seeing something AU with the mane six would be nice

and them having super powers just adds more into the 

the world of MLP a bit.  It would just be also a fun read

all around for any fan of the show at all!