Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Favorite Broadway Musical?

MissShiningStar

Don't know if this is weird or not.

Going to have to say not anymore because FFS I like ponys.

Anyway I love seeing the Play/Musical

"Wicked" with my mom at the Performing Arts Center in Appleton. It just has simply stunning effects and musical tracks.

Defy Gravity is my favorite song in the play. And so is the scene... its simply amazing...

Edit: I think I have been to it 5 times or so... Funny how you get to see different actors each time xD... Anyway going to see it again sometime in February of 2014.

Edited by gatle2
  • Brohoof 2

Anyone who doesn't say "Wicked" first is a heathen. My sister and mom invited me to see it when it was in town a few years ago, but I thought it would just be a stupid girly show. Then they had me listen to the CD and I've regretted not going ever since.  :(

• Brohoof 4

I have to go with either Little Shop of Horrors or Bye Bye Birdie, although I may be a little bit biased because those were both musicals I performed in while I was in high school. 

• Brohoof 1

I haven't seen many musicals on broadway but I did see and love The Book of Mormon...however, my roommate plays the Wicked soundtrack constantly and it's amazing. I also really like The Phantom of the Opera

• Brohoof 1

Well, I'll go with Wicked (it's the only musical I've actually seen.) But ignoring that; it had fantastic music, and I really enjoyed the plot. I definitely enjoyed more than I thought I would. So yeah, I'm going with Wicked. 

LOOK DOWN! LOOK DOWN! DON'T LOOK HIK IN THE EYE!

I love Les Mis. Favorite musical and favorite movie evar! Haven't read the book yet but I plan to.

I love all the songs, especially "Who Am I?" :3 ee its just such an amazing musical when I saw it I like died of happiness

Book of Mormon is hilarious too, and has pretty good music ^^

My absolute favorite musical is CATS (judge me, I don't care, I get enough crap for it). It's one of my biggest loves; I don't know what I'd be without it. It's my life, my heart, and my soul. CATS is everything to me. My love for CATS is who I am.

Same with Les Miserables - I depended on it during my teenage years. And I love the book.

Avenue Q is another favorite - it's the musical I've seen the most (let's just say over 20 times).

The Secret Garden is my dark-horse favorite. It's not that well known, I guess, but I adored the book in my childhood, and the musical is just as magical.

Passion is my most recent favorite. Dark, gritty, and emotional. Full of emotion and heart-wrenching music. The revival this year was one of the best productions of any show I've ever seen.

I do love Wicked, too, but I don't like the fandom. I've also seen this one many, many times. However, I love the book more. It's one of my all-time favorites. I can't describe my love for it.

Other favorites:

A Chorus Line

9 to 5

Shrek (it's sort of dumb, but it's very sweet, and is very much in the spirit of the movie)

The King and I

Sweeney Todd (not the movie)

Jesus Christ Superstar

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Edited by Sapana
  • Brohoof 2

Hands down Avenue Q. Would see it over and over again if I could! Wicked was also good fun. I'd also like to see The Book of Mormon first chance I get.

Edited by K.K. Slider
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

*performs resuscitation on thread

Live you damn thread ... LIVE! And you taste like Cheetos. Gross!

OK I will admit I am a massive fan of Broadway and Off Broadway (and West End) musicals. Currently I'm listening to Rent. I thought of making a topic about Hamilton but figured I would revive this old topic instead.

My favorite ... depending on the mood ... Phantom or Miss Saigon. Oddly enough, even though I am annoyed by some of the historical innacuracies ... I think Hamilton will wind up near the top soon. I wish I checked this out when I had an easier opportunity ...

Anyway! Broadway rocks!

My personal favorites:

Beauty and the Beast

Camelot

Showboat

My Fair Lady

Crazy For You

The Producers

Guys and Dolls gets an honorable mention because of a sublime showing I once saw that demonstrated just how great a Broadway show can be done. Sadly I've seen a couple poor ones as well, but that's the way it goes. 

Obviously many more shows deserve mention here but I'm just going with the first ones off the top of my head. Some shows like Phantom of the Opera, Les Miz and Annie deserve special mention, but again, it can depend a lot on the individual production. I know I'm undoubtedly missing some obvious classics here but I can't seem to conjure them out of my brain at the moment. Maybe I'll add them later. 

Anyone who doesn't say "Wicked" first is a heathen. My sister and mom invited me to see it when it was in town a few years ago, but I thought it would just be a stupid girly show. Then they had me listen to the CD and I've regretted not going ever since.  :(

I suppose I must be a heathen then. I do like just about any Broadway show for one reason or another, but Wicked is far from the top of my list. I loved some of the songs, and the original cast was particularly wonderful, but still it's not a favorite of mine.  

I live in NJ, so whenever possible I quickly go to New York City to see Broadway plays. Quite a few I still have to see, because of money issues. I still need to see Wicked, Book Of Mormon, and Hamilton badly.

Favorite Musicals:

Avenue Q( I saw this 3 times, and was rolling in the Aisles. Funniest Broadway play I have ever seen)

Annie

Footloose

Aladdin

Lion King

Les Miserables

(edited)

I love Les Miserables. Way back in high school my marching band did a show with its music. My mom bought me the OST, and I listened to it pretty obsessively. Back then I didn't have an MP3 player yet, so I listened to it by portable CD player. lol

I didn't actually see the musical (the 2012 movie aside) until a couple of years ago, when a local group did some showings. I found it to be pretty good, even if they didn't have an oboe/English horn player... Truth be told, the two musical recordings I used to listen to - still listen to actually, but you know what I mean - (the one with the white cover and the one with the black cover. Lol... I'm so descriptive here, I know. I can't keep them together, sorry) did a lot to make me want to play the oboe/English horn.

I've never been a musical person aside from that. Les Miserables just kind of hit the spot for me, with its setting and music.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I've only seen a few musicals live. I saw Wicked (which was good, but I didn't love it) and I saw The Lion King (which was really good)

I've seen the movie adaptations of musicals. Does that count? I really like Chicago, and Les Miserables, but nothing beats the weirdness of Rocky Horror Picture Show. Little Shop of Horrors and The Producers were also good.

I've also listened to the music (and seen parts of via youtube) Avenue Q and The Book of Mormon. Those are both really funny.

My favorite musical isn't even a play, so I don't know if it counts, but it's got Neil Patrick Harris in it so it must have some weight :) If you haven't watched Dr Horrible's Sing Along Blog, then you need to. You can watch it on youtube.

Edited by El Duderino

Hamilton absolutely counts! I adore the soundtrack and approach. I also love that they gave King George III a British Pop sound. Good share with the video.

Always  nice to see other Hamilton Fans!  It's likely my favourite musical just for the music alone. ^ ^

• Brohoof 1