Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pirate Rainbow Dash!

Bugplayer

Hai there!

Oh god, how I love how it turned out!

If you're reading the comics, there's something familiar you may recognize. I loved that scene so much I had to re-draw it  :squee:

I think the shadows on the floor would need more tweaking, but I can't seems to make it better. Believe it or not, I have some difficulties to know how light react on certain sometimes, and complicated positions doesn't help :blink:  

Anyways, there it is! I think it's my best so far :3

pirate_rainbow_dash_by_bugplayer-d6z8bvq

Source: http://bugplayer.deviantart.com/art/Pirate-Rainbow-Dash-421972262

Opinions are much appreciated. It only makes me get better!  :lol:

Edited by Bugplayer
  • Brohoof 17

Seeing art from you cheers me up greatly :D
This looks amazing.
I cant give any criticism, but wether that is something good or bad should just float in the room for now.

Seeing art from you cheers me up greatly :D

This looks amazing.

I cant give any criticism, but wether that is something good or bad should just float in the room for now.

Haha I'm glad to be able to bring you my stuff! It's great to have people like you around ^^

And if you can't give any critics, that mean I did a good job, which is a good thing!

this looks amazing! all the shading and lighting and just everything, awesome! very nice job on this! :D

I was personally impressed with the shading result. Especially on her tail, it finally has some textures for once! 

Although, the multiple colors in her tail helps alot  ;)

Hai there!

If you're reading the comics, there's something familiar you may recognize. I loved that scene so much I had to re-draw it  :squee:

I think the shadows on the floor would need more tweaking, but I can't seems to make it better. Believe it or not, I have some difficulties to know how light react on certain sometimes, and complicated positions doesn't help :blink:  

img-2143534-1-pirate_rainbow_dash_by_bug

IT IS SO VERY AWESOME!!!!!!! ARG!

• Brohoof 1

Hai there!

Hai there!

Looks so awsome! I've been reading the comic too, and I can't wait til issue #14 hits the stores.

• Brohoof 1

Simply amazing! Do you do commission or requests?

Thanks my friend! I'm glad you like it ^^

Well currently my commissions and requests are closed, because there's a couple thing in my head that I want to draw. So I'll stay to canon characters for the moment :)

I'm so happy you're interested in my stuff though! :D

Very nice! I swear I've seen this "Pirate RD" concept somewhere. Either way, this is quite well done!

So for critics, there's not much things that are off in here, the things that bugs me with the anatomy is her right fore leg. I think it could be a bit longer and more edgy. Foreshortening is quite tricky so keep practicing! (I can't do foreshortening properly too lol)

Her tail seems to be a bit "floaty" if you know what I mean. It's a bit stiff as of now. (Plus the base of her tail seems too thick, I just noticed that)

For the tech-y stuff that could be improved -

Composition - The subject of your image seems to be a bit into the center. The horizon line can be lowered to give an Ant's eye view. You can use the "Rules of Thirds" as a reference to make your picture a bit more eye catching and interesting. While not exactly necessary in a simple single character picture, it's nice to know how composition work so you can apply it to your bigger projects.

This is a really nice guide to composition (and it covers the Rules of Thirds too, go check it out!)

http://www.deviantart.com/art/The-Secret-to-Composition-272036625

Lighting - Looking at your 2 light sources (the one in front, and the one from the back causing the ambient light) there should be 2 overlapping shadows. In this case, the shadow should cast behind the character, not in front since the light source from the front is stronger.

Shadows can be more darker on RD's chin to show separation of her neck and her head.

Also, you can also use a mixture of soft shading and hard edge shading to give more depth to your art. This is very important since real objects aren't all round and pillow-y.

Hope that is even a little helpful! Keep up the great work! c;

I way be familiar, it's from the comics, Issue #13 page 16 ^^

I kept the posture, while applying a few modifications. Especially her wings and her tail.

Her front hove does look weird haha! That bugged me as well. But I spent way to much time on this one, I had to move on :3

And yes, the base of her tail does look thick, Thanks for noticing, I'll keep that in mind!

Also, never hear of that ''rule of thirds'' That sound very interesting. Having a few theory about it will certainly helps to make the whole thing pop up. Even tho I usually makes single character without backgrounds. Thanks for that link, i'm sure it will come in handy  :squee:

Though, there's was supposed to be only one light source... I'm still learning about them so it may not be perfect, and kind of confusing, gotta tweak that.

Thanks for the great critic!  :yay:

Your art is very detailed and colorful.

Very well done :)

Rainbow Dash sure helps getting drawings colorful ^^

its really good. it made my day :)

could you draw a cute twilight sparkle for me if you not busy ?

thanks

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

-tim

I really should make something of twilight! 

I guess I could had it to my list. I never drew anything about her. Well except for my first drawing ever, which was hum...Something that I shall never speak of again  :blink:

Seriously, it was ugly XD

Thanks for the support! ^.^

Edited by Bugplayer

IT IS SO VERY AWESOME!!!!!!! ARG!

Arg! You're so very awesome yourself!  :lol:

Looks so awsome! I've been reading the comic too, and I can't wait til issue #14 hits the stores.

Yeah, It's gonna be a blast! ^^

yes I just read that issue the other day, its definitely one of my favorites.

I know right? I think it's at the same level as the chrysalis one. It's keep getting interesting ^^

Also, Fluttershy is adorable  :yay:

This is awesome a pirate rainbow dash

keep up the work

You can be sure I will :D