Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Derpy loved so much?

Winona the Dog

This is something that has always confused me. I know the history of the mail mare but why exactly is she the fan favorite of nearly every brony in the fandom?

Let's think about this. While she did start a needless controversy with just a few lines and only appears as easter eggs (just like some others).

But it's not only this. Derpy seems to even rival Luna in popularity. That's right LUNA!!!! She has a lot of specific animations dedicated to her (the ones I've seen) so I'm just curious about why she's loved by so many people.

Perhaps you guys can enlighten me.

Edited by Tyler Blu Gunderson
  • Brohoof 4

Cause Derpy is absolutely friggin' adorable in every way possible! Does there need to be another reason??

Awwwwwww-she-s-so-cute-derpy-hooves-mlp-

I mean look at that if you don't think that is cute, then you have no soul...

I don't really rate a pony based on thier cuteness or appearance. (This is why I didn't really like Fluttershy because everyone only liked her for her cute appearance, shy nature and innocent like personality.) Edited by Tyler Blu Gunderson
  • Brohoof 1

She might have been ridiculed for how she looks but, I think she is loved so much because we didn't expect to have a background pony that would have us like her for her wacky antics.

I don't really rate a pony based on thier cuteness or appearance. (This is why I didn't really like Fluttershy because everyone only liked her for her cute appearance, shy nature and innocent like personality.)

I see what your saying but I have also seen tons of threads like this before as well. People just like different things and Derpy I think has likable qualities that should be enough reason :P

She's an adorable looking pony with a nice color scheme, cute voice, and some controversy. Personally, I much prefer Octavia.

I had always thought it was the controversy that got her popular. After the save Derpy thing got started. A lot of people saw the video and liked her character.

I don't know. These things don't really phase me.

I don't exactly understand how she became so popular myself.  Derpy is more than a background pony that has been embraced by the fandom.  She has largely become the mascot of the fandom!  Why not Octavia or Lyra or Vinyl?  I don't get it either.  Certainly the added publicity of the Derpy controversy helped. 

I don't really rate a pony based on thier cuteness or appearance. (This is why I didn't really like Fluttershy because everyone only liked her for her cute appearance.)

Just for the record, I didn't become a huge Fluttershy fan because of her cuteness.  Instead I was captivated by how this timid, frail looking pony has such a tremendous fighting spirit and what she has to go through psychologically to uncover it.  :)

• Brohoof 4

Mainly because the fandom in effect *created* Derpy. She was a completely nameless background character who had an animation glitch. The glitch made her noticeable, and Bronies started to jokingly make up stuff about this funny little mare with the funny eyes.

The show staff, who was far more plugged into the fandom than the fandom realized, monitoring the various animation forums where the fandom started, noticed this and put made the animation error pony an easter egg for the fans to find. After this, it started to feed on itself. The more the fandom made a fuss, the more the staff did in response.

It didn't take long for this character, now named Derpy (replacing the in-script name of Ditzy), became the mascot for the fandom itself. To a lot of Bronies, Derpy was *theirs*. She represented the fact that not only were the show runners aware of the fandom, they were in some way listening, responding, and *approving* of the Brony fandom.

Then the Hub pulled the plug, because of the complaints from oversensitive parents. Which to the Bronies represented how big corporations (re: Hasbro) wanted rid of the freaks. Not entirely accurate, as Hasbro actually continued to market Derpy stuff to the fandom, and even made the original, unedited episodes available on DVD. Technically it was Discovery, through the Hub, that was nixing Derpy stuff on any of their distribution channels. But in any case, it just made the fandom in general *more* attached, because it seemed like 'the Man' was taking their mascot away.

• Brohoof 15

She may only be a background character but, she is actually pretty well made.

She also has a lot of controversy be hind her, so that help'd to make her really popular. She had pretty much gotten her voice and was future'd in an episode talking to rainbow dash  thanks to the brony the fandom. 

Besides all that she has almost become an icon...almost...

Mainly because the fandom in effect *created* Derpy. She was a completely nameless background character who had an animation glitch. The glitch made her noticeable, and Bronies started to jokingly make up stuff about this funny little mare with the funny eyes.

The show staff, who was far more plugged into the fandom than the fandom realized, monitoring the various animation forums where the fandom started, noticed this and put made the animation error pony an easter egg for the fans to find. After this, it started to feed on itself. The more the fandom made a fuss, the more the staff did in response.

It didn't take long for this character, now named Derpy (replacing the in-script name of Ditzy), became the mascot for the fandom itself. To a lot of Bronies, Derpy was *theirs*. She represented the fact that not only were the show runners aware of the fandom, they were in some way listening, responding, and *approving* of the Brony fandom.

Then the Hub pulled the plug, because of the complaints from oversensitive parents. Which to the Bronies represented how big corporations (re: Hasbro) wanted rid of the freaks. Not entirely accurate, as Hasbro actually continued to market Derpy stuff to the fandom, and even made the original, unedited episodes available on DVD. Technically it was Discovery, through the Hub, that was nixing Derpy stuff on any of their distribution channels. But in any case, it just made the fandom in general *more* attached, because it seemed like 'the Man' was taking their mascot away.

Ahhh I see now. Derpy was a sort of bond between the fandom and the staff before Hasbro stepped in.

I suppose that makes sense. I was just skeptical of her popularity when she's as if not more popular than the mane 6 and we have background characters that has as much character as Derpy does though not nearly as popular.

• Brohoof 1

First of all Derpy is completely adorable, look at this cute little thing.

derpy_hooves_xmas_by_furboz-d4irxwl.png

And though it is not confirmed one way or another that she is disabled alot of people disabled or not who are simply seen as different strongly relate to and identify with her. And like the potential message a character like her has the potential to send, that it is okay to be different. I have been called names like stupid and retarded before even though I am not because I have Autism and to me the Derpy issue is deeply personal because I know what it is like to be singled out for being different and I want to do what I can to make sure that the next generation has things a bit easier than I did. We have come a long way in how we treat the disabled or even people that are different but we still have a long way to go and if this simple little pony can help build on all the gains made over the years that it is all worth it. There are still plenty of glaring misconceptions about the disabled and other groups that are seen as different and that little step of being able to include characters like Derpy (where they are warranted of course) goes a long way toward dispelling these misconceptions and making society a more just, compassionate and understanding toward these issues. Simply put to me and a lot of others Derpy is more than just some random background pony that became popular.

• Brohoof 2

First of all Derpy is completely adorable, look at this cute little thing.

img-2149085-1-derpy_hooves_xmas_by_furbo

And though it is not confirmed one way or another that she is disabled alot of people disabled or not who are simply seen as different strongly relate to and identify with her. And like the potential message a character like her has the potential to send, that it is okay to be different. I have been called names like stupid and retarded before even though I am not because I have Autism and to me the Derpy issue is deeply personal because I know what it is like to be singled out for being different and I want to do what I can to make sure that the next generation has things a bit easier than I did. We have come a long way in how we treat the disabled or even people that are different but we still have a long way to go and if this simple little pony can help build on all the gains made over the years that it is all worth it. There are still plenty of glaring misconceptions about the disabled and other groups that are seen as different and that little step of being able to include characters like Derpy (where they are warranted of course) goes a long way toward dispelling these misconceptions and making society a more just, compassionate and understanding toward these issues. Simply put to me and a lot of others Derpy is more than just some random background pony that became popular.

I wasn't aware Derpy was implied to be mentally disabled. I just thought she acted silly but I guess that makes sense.

Whatever the case I m not a fan of her I was just curious with her popularity.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I mainly believe it's because she's a background pony, and everyone knows how this fandom reacts with background ponies, i.e. BonBon, Lyra, Applejack (lol), Cloud Chaser, etc.

Aside from that, according to general consensus, she's an adorable pony, which, anything with cross-eyed vision, clumsiness, and dat voice, would normally be viewed as 'adorable'. Honestly, the whole uproar from the '...muffins!' line is incomprehensible to me. The fandom just took that one line and concluded Derpy is enamored with muffins, her personality is based off of muffins, yadda-yadda-yadda.

How can you conclude all of that from one line.

Aside from that, back to being OT. She's a background pony and generically cute poni-poni, are most likely the two reasons why she receives so much praise.

• Brohoof 2

I wasn't aware Derpy was implied to be mentally disabled. I just thought she acted silly but I guess that makes sense.

Derpy was censored because people assumed that she was a joke at the expense of the mentally challenged, but what really pissed me off is that many of these people claimed to speak for the disabled when they didn't even bother to listen to the multitudes of them that actually like Derpy. Her censorship represents the misconceptions people have about people like that, it was never directly said or implied that Derpy was mentally challenged but only assumed that was the case. When I was first diagnosed the doctor thought I was mentally challenged and recommended putting me in an institution, if my parents believed that sort of misconception than I wouldn't be where I am today because I would never have been given a chance. It is reasonable to assume that many of the ponies probably have misconceptions about her due to her clumsy, child like nature and walled eyes. Derpy could be a rocket scientist for all we know and could still be thought of as mentally challenged simply because she is not seen as "normal". False assumptions are also made of people that aren't even disabled but are just seen as different for other reasons, a common stereotype of gays for example is that they are highly promiscuous.

• Brohoof 1

Derpy was censored because people assumed that she was a joke at the expense of the mentally challenged, but what really pissed me off is that many of these people claimed to speak for the disabled when they didn't even bother to listen to the multitudes of them that actually like Derpy. Her censorship represents the misconceptions people have about people like that, it was never directly said or implied that Derpy was mentally challenged but only assumed that was the case. When I was first diagnosed the doctor thought I was mentally challenged and recommended putting me in an institution, if my parents believed that sort of misconception than I wouldn't be where I am today because I would never have been given a chance. It is reasonable to assume that many of the ponies probably have misconceptions about her due to her clumsy, child like nature and walled eyes. Derpy could be a rocket scientist for all we know and could still be thought of as mentally challenged simply because she is not seen as "normal". False assumptions are also made of people that aren't even disabled but are just seen as different for other reasons, a common stereotype of gays for example is that they are highly promiscuous.

I never saw her as mentally disabled, I always saw her as being a lovable klutz with a tendency towards childlike innocence and obliviousness.  

• Brohoof 1

I never saw her as mentally disabled, I always saw her as being a lovable klutz with a tendency towards childlike innocence and obliviousness.  

I didn't either, but the point is being assumed this was the case because of certain pre conceived notions they had based on stereotypes and misconceptions and these sorts of things can be quite damaging if left uncorrected.

• Brohoof 1

Derpy's popularity is strange; I think the early animation error combined with the "Derp face" meme that had been going around is what started it, and it just blew up over time.

I dunno, honestly, but I'm fine with it.

Keep Calm and Derp on :derp:

The one problem I DO have with it, is that Rarity has less emotes than Derpy on this site :okiedokielokie:

Gotta be fuggin' kidding me.

• Brohoof 1

I don't really know why she is so famous, Derpy is such a mystery in my opinion. Anyway I always end up being excited whenever I see Derpy on Screen and I can't resist but say "Derpy <3" everytime I see her, same with Lyra and Colgate. I just like how she ninjas herself into the show, aside from that her eyes. I don't know why but those eyes have something very innocent to me and makes me want to hug her even more and well... who doesn't like clumsy ponies? x3