Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are Snips and Snails disabled?

LED Dasher

Although Snips and Snails go to the Ponyville Schoolhouse, they seem to be older than their classmates. I'm guessing that they are also as old as the Twilight and her friends. Is there some reason that they go to school with filles and colts? Could they have a slow mental development? Could they be physically disabled in some way? They aren't exactly physically fit and aren't the smartest ponies.

I don't know how i think they are colts not stallions else they's at least have some sort of job

Does anyone remember turnip from when rarity went to canterlot? He seems as mentally disabled (i don't even know how i got that interpretation no offense meant) as snips and snails but he is as old as twilight and the rest

Snips and snails are just to childlike

While it is possible for them to be older than the other students I don't think they are the same age as the mane 6. Snips and Snails being mentally challenged wouldn't surprise me as they are two of the most stereotypically retarded characters I have seen in quite some time.

• Brohoof 1

In EQG, Snips and Snails don't seem to be the same age as the Mane 6. 

Anyway, I wouldn't say they're mentally challenged, they can probably learn just fine. The problem is that they're lazy and horrible judges of character

• Brohoof 2

Hmm well they do appear to be a bit older than the other kids in their class, but as old as the mane 6? No. They don't appear to be adults, just older kids. They are probably slow learners and most likely need a more specialized way of teaching, but to call them retarded is a bit offensive to me.

• Brohoof 1

Snips and Snails are the two stereotypical oafs of the show. Usually, stereotypical oafs in cartoons seem a bit older than most people or creatures around their age. They might be disabled, but if they are, they might have a mental disease of a sort.

Yes. The Derpy thing really doesn't make any sense when they still have those fucking two.

I know, right? :blink:

Ditzy's (yes, I like that name better) one main scene gets totally redone because some uptight people are offended, yet it's perfectly fine for these two to be complete & total idiots (especially Snails)?

Shenanigans! :okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 1

Hmm, they look older, yes. But either they *are* mentally disabled, or they flunked school and had to stay an extra year or so. But I doubt that, it's probably a huge growth spurt like JRex mentioned. 

They just happen to both have a low level of intelligence AND be dumb. Being intelligent is having high mental capabilities, and being smart is making good use of them. They don't have much mental capability and are also not making good use of it. They are not disabled. I've seen people without a disability, who are honestly quite a lot worse than them. You could call a person with an IQ of 80 "A less smart human being", but you have to keep in mind that a Chimpanzee has an IQ of 75. The difference between a highly intelligent person and a less intelligent person is humongous, and I truly feel sorry for anyone who has to live with such a low level of intelligence. I am very thankful for having been gifted with the intelligence I have, and I realise that not everyone is as fortunate.

• Brohoof 1

Their ages are never really made 100% clear but I think they are supposed to around the same age as the CMC actually - maybe a year or two older but nowhere near the age of the Mane Six.
They are smaller than the adults too. I think they are dumb but not suffering from any mental disability.. just incredibly stupid.

Honestly, Snips and Snails would be an insult to people who actually are mentally disabled...I hope that wasn't the writers' intention. I really hope not. They would be more insulting than Derpy by a longshot, if that was the case.

Derpy at least is somewhat lovable. Snips and Snails.. to quote Big Macintosh, nope.

Edited by DukeofCanterlot

I don't think they are truly "disabled" but they are certainly dumb. It would be nice to see one positive portrayal for them at one point during the show if possible. At this point they are truly the most annoying characters out there (as they are purposely written).

I don't think that they are disabled, I think they are the only stereotypes that I see in the show. They might lack the mental capacity to think, but I wouldn't  call them disabled.