• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Pinkie Pie in a Friend in Deed

Applejack in Apple Family Reunion.

Rainbow Dash in Griffon the brush off.

Rarity in Rarity takes Manehatten. Twilight Sparkle in A Royal Canterlot wedding.

They all caused or contributed to the problem. They all realized they made mistakes. They all went to lengths to solve the problem. Their actions spoke to how sorry they truly were. It's never expected of them to have to "earn" it, but they do it anyway because they're good friends.

In each of those situations, the character in question did something arguably much worse than insulting a friend. Pinkie ruined Cranky's scrapbook. Applejack ruined a family reunion for her huge family, and destroyed the family barn. Rarity took advantage of her friends to further her own goals. Twilight, from the point of view of her friends, brother and mentor, tried to ruin her brother's wedding, though she ended up saving Equestria in the end because she was right. Ultimately, they did what was necessary to resolve the conflict. You're also talking about the characters in the group who don't suffer from chronic shyness and depression.

(Incidentally, Rainbow Dash does almost nothing in Griffon, except to tell Gilda off at the end.)

It means that Fluttershy is let go with a sorry, but it cheats her character when Fluttershy is not given the chance to make up for what she did wrong. It makes it seem like she doesn't really care about her friends feelings. This is mostly due to writer decision, though; when Rarity and Pinkie Pie come to her, it completely kills any chance of her redeeming herself. If Pinkie Pie had slipped into a depression and Fluttershy had to make it up to her, that could've saved this episode. Just something to show she realizes what she did,because... I don't see it.

And this, in my opinion, shows how you don't relate to this character. Shy people tend to retreat into their shells and prefer not talking to anyone when they screw up. They don't seek out people to make amends, because they fear making things worse. Given that Fluttershy is the epitome of shyness, this seemed perfectly in character for her. Some people need extra accommodation.

We're kinda going around in circles here, though. Just to be clear, I'm not saying you have to like this episode or see things my way. I'm just trying to understand your POV and, in the interest of debate, see if you can see mine. :)

• Brohoof 1

In each of those situations, the character in question did something arguably much worse than insulting a friend. Pinkie ruined Cranky's scrapbook. Applejack ruined a family reunion for her huge family, and destroyed the family barn. Rarity took advantage of her friends to further her own goals. Twilight, from the point of view of her friends, brother and mentor, tried to ruin her brother's wedding, though she ended up saving Equestria in the end because she was right. Ultimately, they did what was necessary to resolve the conflict. You're also talking about the characters in the group who don't suffer from chronic shyness and depression.

(Incidentally, Rainbow Dash does almost nothing in Griffon, except to tell Gilda off at the end.)

And this, in my opinion, shows how you don't relate to this character. Shy people tend to retreat into their shells and prefer not talking to anyone when they screw up. They don't seek out people to make amends, because they fear making things worse. Given that Fluttershy is the epitome of shyness, this seemed perfectly in character for her. Some people need extra accommodation.

We're kinda going around in circles here, though. Just to be clear, I'm not saying you have to like this episode or see things my way. I'm just trying to understand your POV and, in the interest of debate, see if you can see mine. :)

So, you're saying that, from the perspective of a shy person, this is a totally rational response?. There's no ill intent in it?

So, you're saying that, from the perspective of a shy person, this is a totally rational response?. There's no ill intent in it?

It's difficult to say if there was any ill intent in her insults, but I am saying that her going into hiding was not malicious in any way. It's a very typical response in shy people - avoid confrontation. It's not rational, but it's not malicious either.

Edited by Pixel Stick

I can understand that feeling- thinking things will get worse if you're around. I can understand Fluttershy feeling that way, and from that point of view, her actions make. I suppose my main problem is not Fluttershy's behavior, but how it was handled. Fluttershy definitely should have made up to her friends in some way.

I can understand that feeling- thinking things will get worse if you're around. I can understand Fluttershy feeling that way, and from that point of view, her actions make. I suppose my main problem is not Fluttershy's behavior, but how it was handled. Fluttershy definitely should have made up to her friends in some way.

As I mentioned, I think her "making it up" to them is implied more than expressed. Rarity and Pinkie know Fluttershy well enough that mountains of dialogue can be expressed in a single word or a simple smile.

It's also worth noting that we only stay in that scene for a few seconds while they hug, before moving on to Fluttershy's letter to Celestia. They don't make it clear how much time has passed by that point, but like in many narratives, it's left to the viewer to imagine what Fluttershy and her friends did after that hug. Perhaps she gave them a more formal apology, or perhaps they said nothing. The fact that this wasn't spelled out for us makes it possible for each of us to draw our own conclusions. Personally, I prefer that sort of writing. :)

It's also worth noting that we only stay in that scene for a few seconds while they hug, before moving on to Fluttershy's letter to Celestia. They don't make it clear how much time has passed by that point, but like in many narratives, it's left to the viewer to imagine what Fluttershy and her friends did after that hug. Perhaps she gave them a more formal apology, or perhaps they said nothing. The fact that this wasn't spelled out for us makes it possible for each of us to draw our own conclusions. Personally, I prefer that sort of writing. :)

The problem is that one can think the writers forgot something (here: Fluttershy's apology).

The problem is that one can think the writers forgot something (here: Fluttershy's apology).

They certainly can. I guess I just don't understand how that's the most logical conclusion to some.

This was the most recent episode I saw, and I really hated it. How much? Let's look at SpongeBob, because of how varied the levels it can screw up are. There are tolerable episodes like Karate Island or Fungus Among Us, and episodes that I'm questioning why it was made, like Someone's in the Kitchen With Sandy or Pet Sitter Pat. Where does it land? Smack-Dab on Artist Unknown. Wait, isn't that a good episode? NOT IN MY OPINION. So yeah, it's bad. Time to evaluate.

The episode stars with Fluttershy feeding her animals, but Angel demands a salad instead. Him slapping Flutters is probably the most violent scene in the show. As a pushover, she gets the ingredients, but out of nowhere a hundred assholes show up and do what a lot of people would do, and it's uncomfortable. Not to mention the last episode had the smile song. Rarity and Pinkie show up and show her some methods of persuasion. Pinkie's lines were just comedy gold, and I wish that they'd be in a better episode. Eventually, after being kicked out of her house, she resorts to going to a lecture by Iron Will, and teaching the wrong lessons. He's not the only one to blame though. Fluttershy takes his quote to the next level into "don't apologize when you can penalize". I'll admit she's A LITTLE in the right the first three times, but for the element of Kindness, this is extremely out if character. And also none of the original assholes get thier commeupance I know all of the Mane 6 have broken thier element at some point but those times it was still true to it in a way, like in "The Last Roundup" AJ used logical loopholes when lying. And then comes the worst part. Fluttershy heavily insults her friend's REASON FOR LIVING!!! I don't know what to say about that. She DOES regret it, though. Iron Will comes to collect payment but then she firmly says no, due to dissatisfaction. He accepts, but I think it happened a little too quickly. And the moral at the end was decent, but I have no idea when she actually performed it herself.

Current Grade: 0/10 Worst Episode so far.

I hate this one. Not only was Fluttershy a huge jerk, but the other background ponies were jerks too!

This was the most recent episode I saw, and I really hated it. How much? Let's look at SpongeBob, because of how varied the levels it can screw up are. There are tolerable episodes like Karate Island or Fungus Among Us, and episodes that I'm questioning why it was made, like Someone's in the Kitchen With Sandy or Pet Sitter Pat. Where does it land? Smack-Dab on Artist Unknown. Wait, isn't that a good episode? NOT IN MY OPINION. So yeah, it's bad. Time to evaluate.

The episode stars with Fluttershy feeding her animals, but Angel demands a salad instead. Him slapping Flutters is probably the most violent scene in the show. As a pushover, she gets the ingredients, but out of nowhere a hundred assholes show up and do what a lot of people would do, and it's uncomfortable. Not to mention the last episode had the smile song. Rarity and Pinkie show up and show her some methods of persuasion. Pinkie's lines were just comedy gold, and I wish that they'd be in a better episode. Eventually, after being kicked out of her house, she resorts to going to a lecture by Iron Will, and teaching the wrong lessons. He's not the only one to blame though. Fluttershy takes his quote to the next level into "don't apologize when you can penalize". I'll admit she's A LITTLE in the right the first three times, but for the element of Kindness, this is extremely out if character. And also none of the original assholes get thier commeupance I know all of the Mane 6 have broken thier element at some point but those times it was still true to it in a way, like in "The Last Roundup" AJ used logical loopholes when lying. And then comes the worst part. Fluttershy heavily insults her friend's REASON FOR LIVING!!! I don't know what to say about that. She DOES regret it, though. Iron Will comes to collect payment but then she firmly says no, due to dissatisfaction. He accepts, but I think it happened a little too quickly. And the moral at the end was decent, but I have no idea when she actually performed it herself.

Current Grade: 0/10 Worst Episode so far.

I knew you would mention Artist Unknown, More_Spandy.

Wow, this is really a love-or-hate episode. :(

Him slapping Flutters is probably the most violent scene in the show.

Have you watched Twilight's Kingdom?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Best episode up to it! Season 2 was lacking Fluttershy way too much so I was super happy to see it ^_^ But damn Fluttyshy you broke my heart on that episode :c Making Pinkie cry must have been tough... Still you're awesome and maybe just keep the anger for Angel, that bunny needs to learn some manners :P

• 4 weeks later...

It was a decent enough episode, but I love Fluttershy for who she is, and seeing her act like that was saddening...

And on top of it, that was her first starring episode in season 2, and we didn't even get to see the Fluttershy we love during the whole thing.

I agree with mrenter, this episode made me cringe, and sadly turned fluttershy from my favourite of the mane 6, to around fourth place, (replaced by pinkie pie). :/

• 1 month later...

This is my new favorite episode! I think Fluttershy is becoming one of my new favorite ponies! 

The way she handled Iron will at the end was really amazing for her and speaks volumes for her inner strength! 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand the hate for this episode. I enjoyed it very much. I liked how in the end, it turned out that Iron Will wasn't even really evil. He was just trying to help ponies. (and make money) His ideals are just a bit out there. Fluttershy went to far with "New Fluttershy", but with the help of her friends, she realized her mistake before it was too late. I also loved Pinkie using "Bugs Bunny" tactics to get lower prices. That was PRICELESS!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand the hate for this episode. I enjoyed it very much. I liked how in the end, it turned out that Iron Will wasn't even really evil. He was just trying to help ponies. (and make money) His ideals are just a bit out there. Fluttershy went to far with "New Fluttershy", but with the help of her friends, she realized her mistake before it was too late. I also loved Pinkie using "Bugs Bunny" tactics to get lower prices. That was PRICELESS!

The hate (for me) is in the fact that the episode tries to put Iron Will down as the villain. ''That monster Iron Will made you act like that'' is a line from Rarity in the episode, like many more. It's entirely Fluttershy's fault, not Iron Will

It might be a small nitpick, but seeing my favorite character going of to her friends like that, and then blaming it on someone who is not at fault (at least the episode did that) just makes me angry

• Brohoof 1