Flow

84 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I loved that episode! I didn't really expect it to be so funny also.

Things I gotta say about this episode:

-Made me hate Angel even more.

-Those catchphrases are so cheesy, they're good.

-Pinkie arguing with the asparagus lady and Iron Will were some of the best parts.

-Was probably the saddest episode I saw so far.

-New Fluttershy was hilarious.

Angel is Fluttershy's abusive boyfriend.

(edited)

You know that topic in Show DIscussion that says "How would you react if they used 'Buck' like we do?"

In the episode, Fluttershy says: "I don't give a flying feather!" I was suprised, then I laughed for 10 seconds. ^_^

Why yes, I do know that topic - that's why posted there. :D

"Buck" is only one letter off from the word we really mean. Feather worked perfectly since it makes sense with flying. I don't give a flying feather! - I think that might catch on.

Edited by DrOphthalmos

(edited)

I'll chip in my analysis now that the episode has been out for several hours. So much more time for digestion!

First of all, was anyone else surprised that Pinkie and Rarity were the ponies to encourage Fluttershy to be self-assertive? I expected Dash to be involved given her previous cheering lessons to Fluttershy in "Sonic Rainboom" and her generally brash demeanor. In fact, on the surface, her involvement is almost too predictable. Yet Dash was entirely absent from the episode. The same goes for AJ, a pony with self-confidence and poise. I could have even imagined Twilight due to her track record of providing advice which has the potential to backfire. But Pinkie and Rarity? I don't think of them as necessarily assertive, though Rarity is quite socially confident. The twist surprised me, and I think it allowed the episode to have some flavor despite favoring a pretty cut-and-dry moral lesson.

Angel is a dick. I apologize to anyone who might be taken aback by my use of vulgar language, but there is little way around it. Quite frankly, all of Ponyville decided to collectively abuse Fluttershy for the entire episode. Perhaps it was done to give us a glimpse of the world through Fluttershy's eyes? Normally, you have one or two characters who cause trouble and serve as the primary antagonist (e.g., Gilda, Trixie, etc.); but seemingly everypony got in on the act. While I understand that it furthered the plot and highlighted the narrative, I was perplexed by the sudden rudeness emanating throughout the town.

I enjoyed Iron Will a good deal thanks to his wrestling-esque schtick. I want to see the credits in order to confirm whether or not the North American voice actor for Mr. Satan/Hercule (Dragon Ball Z) did indeed provide Iron Will's voice. The resemblance was uncanny in more ways than one. Iron Will's character was a fun one to watch develop because, as others have noted, he didn't act necessarily as an antagonist. In fact, Fluttershy rightly identified that she had effectively become the episode's antagonist. Unlike the Flim Flam brothers, Iron Will did not necessarily take advantage of Fluttershy in a full-blown exploitative manner; he did take advantage of her passive nature in order to sell his pitch, but that is where his interested in her ended. I expected him to "reprogram" or reset Fluttershy a la Shallow Hal at the conclusion of the episode. Again, my expectations were (rainbow) dashed, though not necessarily in the negative sense.

As an aide, how has nopony pointed out the appearance of Derpy in the crowd?! It appeared to be quite prominent from my perspective. I doubt that had much if anything to do with the recent uproar regarding "The Last Roundup" as the animation for this episode was probably well finished by that time. We nevertheless have some confirmation that Derpy will remain in one piece.

On the whole, this was an episode which did not have the usual strength of past endeavors. Let me explain: as I previously alluded to, Pinkie and Rarity were unexpected participants in the episode's events. The episode effectively focused entirely on Fluttershy, as if the inclusion of Pinkie and Rarity were not necessary for the plot. Twilight or Rainbow Dash could have mentioned in thirty seconds that Fluttershy needed to stand up for herself, leading her to take interest in Iron Will's self-help presentation. A similar instance can be found in "Hearts and Hooves Day" when Twilight has a walk-on role that could have been performed by any number of characters. Aside from Fluttershy, none of the ponies were essential to the plot. It's a recent trend which I find to be rather irksome, especially as it pushes the whole of the Mane Six out of the limelight.

Having said this, I did enjoy the episode. First, we at last had time dedicated to developing Fluttershy after she had been neglected throughout the season. Second, Pinkie and Rarity were entertaining components whether they were utilizing Looney Toons gags or sobbing together when Flutterbitch raged on them. As I mentioned previously, it added a unique flavor to the episode. Third, Iron Will and his goat assistance were goofy and entertaining. I loved the part where one of the goats began chewing on Pinkie's tail. Fourth and last, we can now confirm that Fluttershy is indeed Dr. Bruce Banner, and we wouldn't like her when she is angry.

Bottom line: "Putting Your Hoof Down" was a fun episode which suffered from a rather linear and overly focused morality tale. I don't expect MLP: FiM to turn Aesop on his head with regularity (though it has happened, e.g. "The Super Cider Squeezy 6000"), but I do expect the premise to be slightly more inventive. The narrative was buffed, however, by entertaining characters, gags, and a desperate need for Fluttershy.

Edited by Thereisnospoon303
  • Brohoof 6

As an aide, how has nopony pointed out the appearance of Derpy in the crowd?! It appeared to be quite prominent from my perspective. I doubt that had much if anything to do with the recent uproar regarding "The Last Roundup" as the animation for this episode was probably well finished by that time. We nevertheless have some confirmation that Derpy will remain in one piece.

No pony? NO PONY?! I posted sighting Derpy on this thread and in the Derpy discussion thread! Think me a pushover? I'll give you the once over! :angry:
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

No pony? NO PONY?! I posted sighting Derpy on this thread and in the Derpy discussion thread! Think me a pushover? I'll give you the once over! :angry:

Posted Image

I genuinely apologize for missing your post!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

*somepony steals fluttershy's orange

"STEAL MY ORANGE, I'LL... I'll... nothing rhymes with orange..."

I think she might be inclined to shout, "The machine gave me lemon lime!"

• Brohoof 1

*somepony steals fluttershy's orange

"STEAL MY ORANGE, I'LL... I'll... nothing rhymes with orange..."

"MOVE ALONG!"

I want to see an episode where Zecora meets the orange family.

Oh ponies of orange, I... ... ... get out.

• Brohoof 3

Really like this episode. I think this assertive training thing also freed Fluttershy's pent up rage. Since she never grasped the idea of standing up for herself and always being the "doormat". She may be the element of kindness, but that cant guard you from frustration.

I thought i heard a Mr T slogan "I pity the fool!". And i think BonBon's changing voice is starting to become a running gag.

Looks like i may have found another episode to use in the process of "Bronification of newcomers". ;)

• Brohoof 1

I just started watching the episode and just got through the part where Pinkie is trying to talk down the price with the tomato vendor. That was hilarious! She pulled a classic Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck "Rabbit Season/Duck Season" move!

(edited)

Very enjoyable episode! We haven't had a Fluttershy episode in some time, and she was really great in this episode. Assertive Flutteryshy is hilarious.

But my gosh... Those background pony voices... D:

I want to see the credits in order to confirm whether or not the North American voice actor for Mr. Satan/Hercule (Dragon Ball Z) did indeed provide Iron Will's voice. The resemblance was uncanny in more ways than one.

Lol. Yeah, I definitely thought the voice was very similar.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 2

I dont get it......Somepony blocks fluttershys path.She could of just flew over them :huh:

But she became crazy so I guess she didn't just because she wanted to kick it

• Brohoof 1