Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Were the writers forcing Rarity's generosity in Rarity Takes Manehattan?

Champion RD92

I feel as if though the whole "Rarity is the element of generosity" thing was being really forced in Rarity Takes Manehattan. I mean the song was just Rarity singing about how amazingly generous she is, while being completely over-the-top generous to every single stranger she sees. I mean Rarity has been generous in the past of course, but never THAT generous. I found it hard to believe that Rarity is actually that generous to all the strangers she meets, it seemed very forced to me.

Note: This is not a Rarity hate post. This is just how I felt when I watched the episode. I just think the song and the scene with her being ridiculously generous to everyone was exaggerating her generosity a bit, and it felt somewhat forced. Just my thoughts, you don't have to agree.

Edited by Champion RD92
  • Brohoof 9

Yes absolutely and it really made this episode suffer greatly, I don't hate Rarity but most people or ponies in this case who are actually generous don't sing a song bragging about how generous they are, they put up or shut up and let their own actions do the talking for them. It is for that reason that I didn't like this episode, the ending was good and so was the lesson but the tone of it especially in the begininng seemed like a half baked attempt to say "see she is not that bad."

• Brohoof 1

She has been that generous the whole time; it's just been much more subtle. It's been well needed because of all the arguments constantly attacking her for "Not living up to her element" when it's been there the whole time, just not in plain sight.

. And in fact, in the past, she has been shown to be manipulative to other ponies

As for this, you're overplaying the times she's manipulated. First off, she doesn't manipulate all too much, so please don't make her out to be some sort of psychopath who uses other to achieve her own means. The few times I recall her being manipulative, she was either in danger or helping a friend, which, is generosity.

She doesn't as much manipulate as much as she uses her mind to fight her battles for her, since she's not a beat-em-up physical pony.

• Brohoof 17

The writers were probably trying to remind us about her generosity, they didn't intend to do it on purpose though. I can't really tell if they were overdoing it. It's better not to let your words speak for you, instead have your actions do the talking, that could be what people don't like about the episode.

Edited by Scootalove
  • Brohoof 3

The writers were probably trying to remind us about her generosity, they didn't intend to do it on purpose though. I can't really tell if they were overdoing it.

They sort of did, but I think they got the point across. It's not like they're unaware of the way Bronies think. That was the major point here; "Hey, she's fricken' generous, and don't forget it." Which, is good, because they really downplayed that aspect of her personality for the Fashionista/Diva character arc that was good for laughs, which, was bull.

All in all, it was a necessary evil that people are just going to complain about, naturally, because it's Rarity, and no other reason.

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 2

She has been that generous the whole time; it's just been much more subtle. It's been well needed because of all the arguments constantly attacking her for "Not living up to her element" when it's been there the whole time, just not in plain sight.

As for this, you're overplaying the times she's manipulated. First off, she doesn't manipulate all too much, so please don't make her out to be some sort of psychopath who uses other to achieve her own means. The few times I recall her being manipulative, she was either in danger or helping a friend, which, is generosity.

She doesn't as much manipulate as much as she uses her mind to fight her battles for her, since she's not a beat-em-up physical pony.

I never said she manipulates all the time or anything, but I have seen it a couple times. She is definitely generous more often than she is manipulative though. I'm not hating on Rarity, I just think her generosity was exaggerated in the new episode. I've never seen her be that ridiculously generous to a bunch of strangers like that.

• Brohoof 1

They sort of did, but I think they got the point across. It's not like they're unaware of the way Bronies think. That was the major point here; "Hey, she's fricken' generous, and don't forget it." Which, is good, because they really downplayed that aspect of her personality for the Fashionista/Diva character arc that was good for laughs, which, was bull.

All in all, it was a necessary evil that people are just going to complain about, naturally, because it's Rarity, and no other reason.

People always find a way to complain about something, this is one of those things. Reminding us that Rarity is supposed to be generous, just says that we should remember that and the manipulation flaw Rarity has. It was good reminding us, but downplaying her personality is not good.

• Brohoof 1

I never said she manipulates all the time or anything, but I have seen it a couple times. She is definitely generous more often than she is manipulative though. I'm not hating on Rarity, I just think her generosity was exaggerated in the new episode. I've never seen her be that ridiculously generous to a bunch of strangers like that.

The only difference between her generosity in this episode and her generosity in past episodes is that it was much more direct and up-front here; in the past, you'd see there's little difference in her generous ways between the two. She's always been this generous; it was a little overdone, but that's only because it was much more direct than it has been in the past, and nothing else. :D

People always find a way to complain about something, this is one of those things. Reminding us that Rarity is supposed to be generous, just says that we should remember that and the manipulation flaw Rarity has. It was good reminding us, but downplaying her personality is not good.

Which they did in the past, but not in this episode. They balanced it out perfectly, which is why she was so amazing in this episode :wub: 

• Brohoof 5

I agree. Rarity's generosity was definitely exaggerated and felt pretty forced in the episode. (It was still a great episode though.) I guess they did so because people often complain about Rarity being greedy or Rarity being manipulative (which she still kind of is *cough cough* making Spike carry her luggage *cough cough*), so they're probably trying to change that. I think it's a good idea, but the way they approached it was a bit over the top and made her generosity feel forced.

• Brohoof 2

I agree. Rarity's generosity was definitely exaggerated and felt pretty forced in the episode. (It was still a great episode though.) I guess they did so because people often complain about Rarity being greedy or Rarity being manipulative (which she still kind of is *cough cough* making Spike carry her luggage *cough cough*), so they're probably trying to change that. I think it's a good idea, but the way they approached it was a bit over the top and made her generosity feel forced.

Spike always volunteers himself to do that sort of thing, dude. He's whipped.

She isn't greedy, first off, and I can slam that down immediately, and I've already explained the situation regarding her manipulative tendencies if you read up a bit.

As a matter of fact, I've explained everything you've just complained about if you just read upwards a bit.

• Brohoof 3

Which they did in the past, but not in this episode. They balanced it out perfectly, which is why she was so amazing in this episode :wub:

I agree with that completely, the one way to have a good character is by balancing out their flaws and what makes them who they are. Awesome! :P

• Brohoof 1

Well, if fans are correct, then we'll probably get similiar episodes (maybe even songs?) about the rest of Mane 6, so I suggest to get used to it ;) Maybe Rarity's generosity felt a little forced in this episode, but I still enjoyed it and she definitely was in character. 

People complained that she wasn't being generous enough in the past.

Now they stress her generosity even more and people complain that it's being "forced".

I mean, really?

Seems like she just can't win here. 

Yeah, they laid the generosity on a little thick, but that's because this was the whole theme of the episode.  *Everything* in the episode revolved around that theme, and not just in regards to Rarity herself.  I like to think that the episode was not about Rarity's generosity as much as it was about the *idea* of generosity itself.  Yes, Rarity's at the center of the episode, but it also explores how giving (or selfish) others are as well. 

I've said this on another thread already, and I'll repeat it here as well.  I bet, based on some future episode descriptions I've seen, that every one of the Mane Six is going to have their element highlighted and challenged in some way.  And my guess is that their element is going to be similarly stressed in each of those episodes.  So did they hammer in the idea of generosity in this episode?  Yeah, but my suspicion is that they;ll do the same for the others too.

• Brohoof 10

She isn't greedy, first off, and I can slam that down immediately, and I've already explained the situation regarding her manipulative tendencies if you read up a bit.

As a matter of fact, I've explained everything you've just complained about if you just read upwards a bit.

*sigh* It's not manipulation if the person in question is volunteering. People say Rarity abuses Spike's kindness, but he ALWAYS volunteers. Not once does she force him to help. I'm beginning to think there's some secret anti-Rarity cult going around.

Anyway, i guess it was a tad forced, but I don't think it was on purpose.

Edited by Evil Bright Honor
  • Brohoof 3

Even if he does, it does seem like Rarity takes advantage of it. She should decline the help to get the message across that she doesn't like Spike back. 

Rarity is without a doubt a generous pony, but she does have a greedy/manipulative side too imo. It's true that every Mane 6 member hasn't always been true to their element, but I think Rarity's instances are a bit more conspicuous. Like, I wasn't a fan of the scene where she made Sweetie Belle pull her luggage in Sleepless in Ponyville. It's fine if a pony occasionally does something uncharacteristic of her element, but making your little sister carry all your *unnecessary* luggage is taking it a bit far. Not trying to be a Rarity hater, but I do feel this way about her.

Edited by fimdashie
  • Brohoof 2

I thought the whole song was dedicated to shut up the people who keep on saying Rarity isn't following her element.

Now with this evidence they can't argue about that anymore. Though I guess it was a bit out of character for her to giver random people a full sized gem. Although we don't know exactly how valuable they are especially since they are plentiful in number. Since Equestria seems to run it's currency on bits and not gems;

People complained that she wasn't being generous enough in the past.

Now they stress her generosity even more and people complain that it's being "forced".

I mean, really?

Seems like she just can't win here. 

Yeah, they laid the generosity on a little thick, but that's because this was the whole theme of the episode.  *Everything* in the episode revolved around that theme, and not just in regards to Rarity herself.  I like to think that the episode was not about Rarity's generosity as much as it was about the *idea* of generosity itself.  Yes, Rarity's at the center of the episode, but it also explores how giving (or selfish) others are as well. 

I've said this on another thread already, and I'll repeat it here as well.  I bet, based on some future episode descriptions I've seen, that every one of the Mane Six is going to have their element highlighted and challenged in some way.  And my guess is that their element is going to be similarly stressed in each of those episodes.  So did they hammer in the idea of generosity in this episode?  Yeah, but my suspicion is that they;ll do the same for the others too.

If it were Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, or Pinkie Pie in this sort of situation, then everyone would've loved this episode and proclaimed it the greatest episode of the whole series. I'd bet my life on it  >_> 

Like he said, though; her generosity was her downfall here. She lent Suri Polobitch her fabric, and Suri stole her entire line. Her generosity was her downfall and created a conflict that made this episode great. 

Even if he does, it does seem like Rarity takes advantage of it. She should decline the help to get the message across that she doesn't like Spike back. 

Rarity is without a doubt a generous pony, but she does have a greedy/manipulative side too imo. It's true that every Mane 6 member hasn't always been true to their element, but I think Rarity's instances are a bit more conspicuous. Like, I wasn't a fan of the scene where she made Sweetie Belle pull her luggage in Sleepless in Ponyville. It's fine if a pony occasionally does something uncharacteristic of her element, but making your little sister carry all your *unnecessary* luggage is taking it a bit far. Not trying to be a Rarity hater, but I do feel this way about her.

Sweetie Belle did it all with smile on her face.

Spike wants to carry her stuff. He enjoys helping out the pony he's so deeply infatuated with. She declined his help, she'd essentially be rejecting him, which it sucks being rejected.

And no, all of the ponies have conflicts with their elements to an extent.

Applejack has lied several times - Element of Honesty.

Twilight's spells have failed several times - Element of Magic

Pinkie's been a downer a couple of times - Element of Laughter

Fluttershy's been rude and angry a couple of times - Element of Kindness

Rainbow Dash doesn't even count for her element; all 6 do a damn good job representing the element of Loyalty. I've never seen a group of friends more loyal to each other. They all live up to RD's element just as much as RD herself does.

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 1

I thought the whole song was dedicated to shut up the people who keep on saying Rarity isn't following her element.

Now with this evidence they can't argue about that anymore. Though I guess it was a bit out of character for her to giver random people a full sized gem. Although we don't know exactly how valuable they are especially since they are plentiful in number. Since Equestria seems to run it's currency on bits and not gems;

Well I would imagine Equestria has some kind of bits for jewelry thing.

Well I would imagine Equestria has some kind of bits for jewelry thing.

That's true.

After all The CMC did buy a industrial pet dryer in Just For Sidekicks with just a slim part of a red gem. Gem currency is a bit unknown.

I also agree with Hawk. The episode seemed more about the concept of generousity rather then Rarity's own. I can also see 5 episodes focusing on the concepts of laughter, honesty, loyalty, kindness, and magic.

If it were Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, or Pinkie Pie in this sort of situation, then everyone would've loved this episode and proclaimed it the greatest episode of the whole series. I'd bet my life on it  >_> 

Like he said, though; her generosity was her downfall here. She lent Suri Polobitch her fabric, and Suri stole her entire line. Her generosity was her downfall and created a conflict that made this episode great. 

Sweetie Belle did it all with smile on her face.

Spike wants to carry her stuff. He enjoys helping out the pony he's so deeply infatuated with.

And no, all of the ponies have conflicts with their elements to an extent.

Applejack has lied several times - Element of Honesty.

Twilight's spells have failed several times - Element of Magic

Pinkie's been a downer a couple of times - Element of Laughter

Fluttershy's been rude and angry a couple of times - Element of Kindness

Rainbow Dash doesn't even count for her element; all 6 do a damn good job representing the element of Loyalty. I've never seen a group of friends more loyal to each other. They all live up to RD's element just as much as RD herself does.

Hm, yeah Fluttershy is another good example. She was delusional some of the instances, but it can't be denied that there have been instances where she really wasn't so nice. Don't recall any instance of Applejack blatantly lying though. I think the worst instance of her I recall was that ditching breakfast thing she did to Pinkie in The Last Roundup. She also lied in Party of One, but that was just to cover up the surprise birthday party so it didn't bother me too much. For the others, most of the time those instances were out of their control, and they weren't morally ambiguous. Twilight failing her spells and Pinkie Pie feeling sad wouldn't make you dislike the characters. Being greedy and manipulating others would though, and it's something Rarity has control over. I don't mean to make it seem like Rarity does this kind of thing all the time, but it is something that's been noticed and brought up by fans time and time again.

• Brohoof 3

Yes, but that is partially our doing, some bronies scold Rarity for not being that generous, for having a materialistic attachment, but that is why we admire the ponies, for their three dimensional personalities. The ponies have gone against their elements before, Fluttershy for example did go against her elements of kindness in "Putting your hooves down" so the ponies do have free will, and don't have to rigidly abide by their element, yet the ponies do have an aptitude for the element they were given. Rarity is a fine pony, and we should try to remember we do have some in common with them including Rarity, because we do have moments of generosity and selfish desire, no matter how philanthropic we would like to be, however this episode did make me feel differently about Rarity, I adore her more now than ever, she does have a soul as shimmering as a fire ruby, and would lust for an ruby as well, we could just take what we like about Rarity, and reflect on what makes us similar to her and any pony we love most of all.    

Edited by Emperor Peter
  • Brohoof 5

I don't think it was so much forcing Rarity's generosity as it was enforcing it- it's been a long, long time since Rarity was center stage in an episode, so I think they felt the need to remind viewers of her element, which she honestly hasn't had much opportunity to enforce for a while. This episode was all about Rarity's generosity through and through, showcasing the good and bad it can bring her, and I think the episode pulled off that concept perfectly.

• Brohoof 7

Okay, just for starters, @@ghostfacekiller39 I love how you are defending Rarity in this thread :wub:

Sorry, that had to be said.

*Ahem*

All of my thoughts on this have already pretty much been explained. I think the way they displayed Rarity's generosity was fantastic, I simply loved it! It's given me a reason to (don't hate me Rarity fans) to finally actually like Rarity. It was laid on a little thick, yeah, but I don't think that was on purpose. This episode was a nice reminder of her generosity, whether it was on too heavy or not.

• Brohoof 2