Nohbdy

S04:E08 - Rarity Takes Manehattan  

326 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

@JonPear, yeah I don't know why, but I don't really get too invested in characters like Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, Trixie or Suri Polomare, and that's not to say that they're bad characters or they suck, it's just I don't particularly care for those types of antagonists/characters. I do wanna see Trixie again though however, simply because it'd be interesting to see her show up and be like "Oh, Twilight Sparkle is a alicorn now, welp."

• Brohoof 1

what I am trying to explain is that all of them will get the spotlight, recognize something, and then they will all become princesses just like twilight.  It's going to happen, and I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Especially after what they pulled in the last episode of season 3. I cannot explain why, but I feel this is what will happen. They animators are just laughing at us, waiting to see are reactions. And as of now, you might push of this possibility and shun it. But just wait and see. You never, in no possible way expected twilight to turn into a princess, but it happened. The rest of them is not far off.

I don't think they're going that far. If anything I think it has something to do with unlocking the mystery box and what's inside it...

• Brohoof 1

for a moment near the end, when rarity said she would have to stay in manehattan and that coco pony shows up, i SERIOUSLY thought they were going to like temporarily replace rarity on the show and i was like WTF. but then they didnt and it was k.

awesome episode overall though.

• Brohoof 2

Even though I've already posted my review, I think it needs to be said that Tabitha St. Germain's acting was as top-notch as always.

My favorite line from the whole episode:

I just love how over-the-top and hysterical Rarity can get.

Edit: Can't embed videos in posts anymore. You'll just have to use the link, sorry!

Edited by Dr. Mechano
  • Brohoof 2

for a moment near the end, when rarity said she would have to stay in manehattan and that coco pony shows up, i SERIOUSLY thought they were going to like temporarily replace rarity on the show and i was like WTF. but then they didnt and it was k.

awesome episode overall though.

Oh my god!! I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who felt that way!!

Damn near gave me a heart attack...

• Brohoof 1

I think Rarity will eventually move to Canterlot, as it's been hinted at throughout the series, but I also feel like they're going to save that for near the end of the show.

Which wouldn't be so horrible, since Canterlot is pretty close to Ponyville, and it'd be feasible for Rarity and her friends to still see each other regularly (as opposed to Manehattan, which according to the map is much farther away).

Either way, I expect Rarity to stay put in Ponyville until the show starts to really wind down to the end.

• Brohoof 1

I think Rarity will eventually move to Canterlot, as it's been hinted at throughout the series, but I also feel like they're going to save that for near the end of the show.

Which wouldn't be so horrible, since Canterlot is pretty close to Ponyville, and it'd be feasible for Rarity and her friends to still see each other regularly (as opposed to Manehattan, which according to the map is much farther away).

Either way, I expect Rarity to stay put in Ponyville until the show starts to really wind down to the end.

It's nothing much to worry about, though; at least, not at the moment.

That's a while away, for sure. 

If true, it's going to be so far away that it'd be senseless to discuss it at this point in time :D Not gonna live for tomorrow, you know? There's more time to enjoy what a wonderful episode Polsky put out yesterday than worry about the future.

:)

Edited by ghostfacekiller39

Even though I've already posted my review, I think it needs to be said that Tabitha St. Germain's acting was as top-notch as always.

My favorite line from the whole episode:

I just love how over-the-top and hysterical Rarity can get.

I was just suddenly reminded of this over-the-top Rarity-moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tzDD54DPk0

Edited by JonPear

Yeah, the first time i heard the song in the preview, i thought the same thing. At first, it seems like its just a "Look, Rarity is a really generous pony" song. In fact, its actually the complete opposite. It sets up the moral conflict of the story, which is that Rarity is being outwardly generous only because she wants others to be generous to her in return. Manehattan is a huge bustling city full of strangers, and this makes Rarity feel insecure. She resolves her insecurity by behaving generously to the strangers, sort of in an attempt to win them over and so they remember her kindness and return it. Later, Rarity learns that she was being kind for the wrong reasons when she basically manipulates and blackmails her friends in return for her previous "generosity". She is absolutely crushed when she realizes that she was "being generous" for the wrong reasons, and goes out of her way to make it up to her friends in the end. Her moment of great realization is the moment when the thread turns rainbow, just to point out ;)

TL;DR: The song was about Rarity being outwardly generous in a sub-consciously manipulative way, and the episode ends with her realizing that her over-the-top generosity was actually rooted in self interest. But she realizes it and makes everything right in the end.

Best episode of the season, imo. If Rarity wasn't already my favorite of the mane 6, she would be now.

See, I didn't read things that way at all.  Her reaction in that scene was more out of being upset because of the cold, cruel lesson she learned that if you are generous, people will walk all over you.  I think that the whole experience of being cheated like that turned her very cynical, and as I said in my initial post, she has a tendency to get wrapped up in herself. 

I don't think that she gave her friends the tickets with the idea that they "owe" her for that and that they'd better make good when she demands it.  I think it's just a case of her getting wrapped up in her own drama and letting her hurt emotions get the best of her.

• Brohoof 4

Site is back online. Cool. Thanks staff. Yay!

About the episode, Here is what I thought, if anyone cares.

This is slice of life. The kind that made MLP:FIm great. I love this episode! The city looks great (although I'd preferred a pony city instead of a copy of a human city). The new ponies look (and sound) great.

But what's with the weather? I thought that the pegasi controlled the weather in Equestria. Contradicting previous canon for the sake of the mood in a scene? Or for the reference about the weather in New York? Meh...

Does anyone in the show know that Twilight is a Princess? I bet my ass that if Celestia dropped in a conversation her desire to see ANYTHING, ANYWHERE in Equestria, ponies would move heavens and earth just to get the Princess to show up at their event. But it seems that a fashion designer has more pull than a Princess in Equestria... I guess that Twilight is not a very popular princess... Or maybe she just doesn't have the opportunities to go about telling ponies how to make her happy. However, I'm glad it didn't happen (yet) though: she and her friends have to wait in the line like everypony else. Just liked this little bit and wouldn't have liked if she came up to a taxi and ordered him to take Rarity. It's different if one had volunteered. Well, I guess this was Rarity's show... I'll just keep on waiting to see Twilight being a princess.

I was going to complain about Spike being abused, but this is so old not even complaining about it is interesting anymore. I was glad to see Rarity had seven entrances for the show, however. Nice.

Now, after the conflict is presented, why does the episode try to make it look like Rarity is abusing her friends? Why does she say she did it later? Her friends said they'd help, no matter what. But then, they start complaining that they won't see the show. What? I actually side with Rarity here. Is the stupid show is more important than Rarity's presentation? But I get the point: Rarity explodes like that and starts treating her friends like we can suppose Suri is treating Coco. But Twilight says that they know Rarity and understand the situation. They know why Rarity is acting like that and that she is NOT like that. Beautiful. Coco abandoned Suri, while Rarity's friends wouldn't leave her? Worked for me. I mean, that whole scene felt WAY out of place for me, but I get the point and I like it.

The ending scene with Coco was just perfect.

One other thought... Now that the Elements are gone, are they trying to show that "the thing" about these ponies are their Elements? Interesting that Rarity saw a rainbow or something like that when she thought her friends had abandoned her. And in the end, the gift she got from Coco was a rainbow colored spool that she put next to the others, each colored after one of the Mane Six. Interesting. Well, after someone from the staff said those gags in the endings meant nothing, this appears. Interesting timing.

Specially if you take a look at the themes for oncoming episodes for Rainbow Dash and Pinkie.

Welp... My favorite of the season and certainly among my favorites for the entire series. Awesome job, Mr. Polsky!

EDIT: fixed Suri's name.... I need to learn to watch the credits.

Edited by moonlightavenger
  • Brohoof 2

i thought the episode was fine, the bitch levels in this episode were through the roof though! our ever watchful fandom found derpy and an alicorn in the back ground that looks a lot like Shadyvox's OC Neon Lights, also the fedora wearing pony with grumpy cat as a cutie mark was funny XD, but over all, it was ok, probably my least favorite so far

• Brohoof 1

I just liked it.

Very good for a Rarity episode. Hoping to see more Coco Pommel in the future.

Also looks like we got a answer about the Rainbow Power stuff actually happening in the show, and not just being a future line of toys, which is definitely what that magical Rainbow thread has to deal with at the end of the episode.

So now we have.

Mystery Box

Shadow Pony

Disappearing Comic (Though we can probably put this one off as just disappearing because it was enchanted)

Fluttershy Fangs

and now Magical Rainbow Thread.

Hmm, nothing seems to make any connection yet, but I am sure it will all soon enough.

• Brohoof 2

I really liked this episode. Rarity has moved up in my order of fave mane 6...she's now Number 3. Just such a good episode. THe music was great too. Though It kinda irked me when Dashie said "It was aight" she's not gangster.I just kinda shook me head after she said that. Also that rainbow thread Rarity got at the end...I have a feeling it'll have something to do with that box.

Edited by ~Daring Dash~
  • Brohoof 1

Now that this is here i must say i loved this episode the song (even though it was a bit forced) was great i loved seeing Rarity lose it that was hilarious and also how Rainbow Dash tried to pretend she didn't like Hinnie of the Hills as much as she did. I also liked the foreshadowing at the end with the thread and can't wait for all these things that have been happening at the end of each episode to come together later and help them open the box.

My favorite part had to be

Rarity:Oh why look there's our friend rarity going down in flames ISN'T FRIENDSHIP MAGIC!

Yeah, I think we all did... :(

Thank goodness Coco came along.

On second thought, go Coco. Thank goodness she came along so we didn't have to lose Rarity! :D

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I think we all did... :(

Thank goodness Coco came along.

On second thought, go Coco. Thank goodness she came along so we didn't have to lose Rarity! :D

Holy shit, you're right.

Coco all the way! :D

I didn't even realize we would've lost Rarity without her :(

Coco is amazing. She should get a medal.

• Brohoof 3

Out of curiosity...

Did it bother anyone that Rarity's message is not actually "be generous for the sake of it" but "be generous because if you are, others will be to you too"?

No, because that isn't the message. 

That was something she said, but she honestly couldn't have expected them to do the things they did. She's got unicorn magic, but she's not psychic :D

She said that once, I believe, but she also seemed aware that not everyone that she did something for would do something back.

It was more of a grateful thing than "that's the only reason I'm generous" line, like you seem to be implying :D

they will all become princesses just like twilight.

Miley_lol.gif

No offence dude, but that's just plain ridiculous. I think even the six year old girls would stop watching if they did something as stupid as that.

For starters, the Mane Five aren't really cut out to be princesses. Pinkie Pie or Fluttershy as a princess? Must I even justify? Applejack could be okay, but she wouldn't want to be one anyway. It's just... What?

Also, the writers and animators you seemed to make out as mean or something. Well, they're clearly not. And they're not stupid. They know it would be a ridiculous idea. They have no reason to be princesses, thus they shouldn't be princesses. It's just common sense.

What I would be concerned about is the rainbow spool of thread having a connection to the Rainbow Power ponies. But anyway, I digress.

It's just too stupid an idea for it to be carried out, even by Hasbro. And that is saying something.

• Brohoof 2

Title: Rarity Takes Manehattan

Air Date: January 4th, 2014

Synopsis: Rarity is thrilled to be heading to Manehattan for an important fashion show and brings all of her friends along for a high-class adventure in the city she loves. But when another designer ruins Rarity’s chances at winning the competition, she turns to the rest of the Mane Six for help, not realizing that her anger and ambition are damaging her friendships.

Sorry for the delay, folks! 

I loved it! There were so many hidden Easter eggs in that episode. I cant wait for more upcoming episodes.

• Brohoof 2

Really good episode for me. It's good that they decided to show the flaws in the Elements, I.E. being too generous caused Rarity to rather stupidly aid her competition...Plus her "I'm super generous so you all owe me!" attitude toward the others. Good lessons all around in this one.

I notice some mentioned worrying that they would actually ditch Rarity in Manehattan for a while. Honestly...I wish they had. Rarity's great and all but there's nothing more crummy and creatively stifling than this mindset of "OH MY GOD I WAS SO WORRIED THEY WOULD CHANGE THE STATUS QUO FOR EVEN A MILLISECOND!"

I, for one, would've liked to see them take a risk and try something like that. Something interesting may well have come of it. Just clinging to status quo will only worsen a series given time.

And quite frankly, I was hoping Rarity would stay there and send Coco to tend to her shop in Ponyville because Coco seriously needs to be a regular, she's just adorable. XD

Also, during the "we have to find a cab NOW" scene, was I the only one rolling my eyes and going "Twilight, you're ROYALTY. Pull rank on these motherf###ers!" :lol:

• Brohoof 1