Nohbdy

S04:E08 - Rarity Takes Manehattan  

326 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Well, I have been slacking off on writing episode reviews, so no time to lose, I will now begin writing my review!! :D

First, I really like this episode for a few things- which I will elaborate on- is well, I like how they make this episode in Manehattan, which is the pony counterpart to New York's Manahttan, we never saw an episode where the ponies venture in Manehattan and finally, the songs in the episode I really like.

This episode in general is really nice, fun, and enjoyable for me. The moral of this episode I really like can relate to as well because some people take advantage of my niceness and generosity and that old friend of Rarity did exactly that: Take advantage of Rarity's niceness and generosity.

Ok, now for the couple of complaints I have for this episode.

1. When Rarity so desperatly needed a taxy and Twilight decided to try to help, a freaking commoner pony tells her otherwise and doesn't allow her to get the taxy! Like seriously, did that pony not see that Twilight has a horn and wingsmeaning she is a alicorn princess??? If not, then that pony is REALLY oblivous and has no respect! And Twilight needs to be a little bit more assertive, and do more things princess worthy. She has not been doing anything princess worthy, AT ALL.

2. As soon as everyone laid eyes on Coco Pommel, everyone so suddenly just fell in love with her, worship her, and just spams her everywhere. Well, I know she is cute, pretty, and interesting, but PLEASE, you don't need to worship her like the Chinese worshiping their shrine god.

And so, this concludes my episode review on Rarity Takes Manehattan. :)

Musix's Short snyopsis

Rarity - "Oh crap I'm late hahaha"

Rainbow Dash - "Want me to fly you there I'm the fastest flyer in all of ponyville"

Rarity - "Lol No I want to take a cab"

Later

Coco - "Can... I sit with you?"

Rarity - "Ew no"

Well, seeing as I have never commented on this episode, I’ll do that now. It bugs me to see such a fantastic episode garner the least discussion of all of the season 4 episode threads. :(

I’ve been wanting to see more of Manehattan ever since it was mentioned in season 1’s The Cutie Mark Chronicles. I’ve always enjoyed episodes that introduce new locations and the show continues to expand on its varied world. Not only is Manehattan gorgeous, but it’s a truly unique setting compared to what we’ve seen from most locations and it’s definitely very much like the real world Manhattan. I’m still trying to figure out the point of cabs in Equestria but nonetheless, the big city setting was a treat to see again. :P

The theme of the episode was obviously generosity, as made plainly obvious by the episode’s song of the same name. I for one loved the song. It might not be the catchiest tune in all of MLP, but it’s uplifting, fun, and is possibly the most beautifully done Rarity solo yet, surpassing Art of the Dress and Becoming Popular just as far as the singing is concerned, at least. The song has a bit of an old New York/Frank Sinatra style, and I think it‘s really great. ;)

As for the episode’s theme, it’s good to see Rarity’s generosity get emphasized as the show doesn't always portray her as giving all that much. That being said, I don’t feel as if her generosity was ever forced. Rarity did mention that when you do something nice for someone in Manehattan, you just never know when they’ll do something nice for you. And seeing how excited Rarity was for the upcoming fashion week, it’s no wonder why she’d be in even more of a giving mood than usual. One criticism I’ve seen this episode face is that Spike was once again forced to haul all of Rarity’s luggage. Well, for one thing, Spike loves to help Rarity so he probably volunteered. Rarity was kind enough to get him a carrot dog as a reward (you know, until a bird snatched it) and I didn’t see him complain about doing work for her even once. Besides, we’ve seen Sweetie Belle haul all of Rarity’s stuff around too. The fact that Rarity always packs too much stuff and is oblivious to how difficult it is for others to carry is a running gag by now. It shouldn’t be taken too seriously.

Speaking of Rarity, boy does it feel good to see her as the focal character after a long two year drought! :D  Rarity was pure gold in this one. In addition to her full force generosity, she had plenty of her trademark drama queen meltdowns which are always hilarious to witness. She was giving, dramatic, creative, witty, polite, rude, happy, grumpy, and just plain Rarity. As poorly as she treated her friends, she was able to realize her mistake all on her own. I greatly admired the way the other five ponies worked so hard for Rarity despite how little appreciation they were initially shown, and they never expressed any anger or bitterness towards Rarity even when they missed the play they wanted to see so badly. Rarity made the realization that you should never take advantage of the giving nature of your friends. I thought the moral was very well-executed by the nice pacing and storytelling of this episode.

We also got introduced to two important new characters - Suri Polomare and Coco Pommel. Suri ended up being an interesting enough "villain" of sorts. I think she makes for a great foil to Rarity much like Trixie was to Twilight and Lightning Dust was to Rainbow Dash. Suri has an “everypony for herself” mentality which is a stark contrast to Rarity’s charitable mindset. Then there’s Coco, who looks as if she’s already a big deal to the fandom and I can see why as she is definitely adorable, much like Fluttershy in my mind, but this is not a bad thing. ;)

The episode was full of littler details that I enjoyed as well. Not only was this a great demonstration of Rarity’s generosity, we also got some long overdue, blunt honesty from the farmer pony who has told a few too many fibs in the past. I was beyond pleased to see Applejack tell Rarity that she was pretty rotten and I find it humorous that Rainbow Dash was the one to call her out on being harsh about her honesty when the roles would have been the exact opposite back in season 1. This tells me that Rainbow Dash has softened up on her bluntness and Applejack is finally starting to show some honest to goodness honesty, whether kind or not! :P And while we’re on the topic of Applejack…

640px-Applejack_lifts_a_cab_S4E08.png
Applejack is best jack. B)And strongest pony of the Mane Six. Sorry, Rainbow Dash.

We also got the return of the ever popular wet mane Rarity to go along with that excellently done reprise of Generosity. Oh, and you know it’s a Dave Polsky episode when the term “drop of a hat” is used. Pinkie Pie said this back in Daring Don’t, and Rainbow Dash coins the expression in this episode. :P Now that Rainbow Falls has aired, we know that that rainbow colored spool of thread that Rarity received at the end is most likely her “key” to that mysterious box that was discovered back in Princess Twilight Sparkle Part 2. I'm definitely looking forward to the other key episodes and I can only hope they're as good as this one, and not so much Rainbow Falls.

So far so good for our favorite fashion pony. Her first episode of the season was as fabulous as Rarity herself. I’d be willing to call it the best episode of season 4 so far, and my personal second favorite just barely after Pinkie Apple Pie. It's also my favorite episode written by Dave Polsky by a long shot, so I optimistically await more from him. :)

• Brohoof 2

The episode was very good.

I love Rarity and it was fun to see an episode all to her.

One last thing, I also liked how we got more character development for her in this episode.

As of the posting of this comment, the latest episode to air was Three's a Crowd. It is still so weird to me that what handily rates as the best episode of the season so far was written by Polsky. Meanwhile, it's actually Corey Powell who's done the most damage to the quality of this season with the abysmal Rainbow Falls

I mentioned in an earlier comment that I was having trouble deciding if this was a great or just good episode and I still kind of am. I might settle with the latter just out of disappointment with the musical number. It served the plot well but it's not particularly pleasant to listen to and I won't be revisiting it often. 

Edited by ByTheTides

This episode hit close to home for me as my dream is to move away from home to start my career as a designer. Being born in and living in a metropolitan city myself I have noticed that people are nicer to you if they know you got the bread. Still in school and once I graduate I know to choose my battle wisely when starting my career, learning from Rarity's experience. I can say I learned quite a bit from this episode.

On a lighter note I want to pat all the animators on the back for nailing the "Hipster Pony" look on this one, they never cease to amaze me at how well they research contemporary culture. Every young artist or young professional in my town looks just like that.

I have been putting off all the MLP episodes since Bats! and I finally took time out to watch this episode. 

I love how MLP showed kids, and us bronies, just how horrible big cities are. I Blame big cities for the downfall of humanity; you go to one and people(ponies) could care less about you. 

I digress, this is not the thread for my rants. 

Favorite moments in the episode where the random song number, and spike being Rarities whipping boy...er..dragon.

I laughed way too hard at Rainbow's "Like, who breaks out in a random song and dance at the drop of a hat?" *Cue Rarity*

Also, I kinda found it messed up how Twilight sees Rarity persuading Spike to be her whipping boy and Twilight does nothing about it.

I mean, when is Twilight and Rarity going to have that whole,
"You cant seduce Spike to do whatever you want, just because he has a crush on you."

• Brohoof 1

I have beenI love how MLP showed kids, and us bronies, just how horrible big cities are. I Blame big cities for the downfall of humanity; you go to one and people(ponies) could care less about you.

I understand the viewpoint of cities not being the right place everypony to live comfortably, before judging all big cities consider the following:

-Cities are where people of different ethnic backgrounds need to cohabitate ie taking the subway together, share common spaces like shops and restaurants, and living on the same block if we're taking about major US cities.

-It is harder to get oneself noticed in the city when starting a career because there are more people doing the same thing and competing for the same jobs. Notice the try-outs Rarity was working so hard for.

-Cities on average are more expensive than neighboring towns.

With these examples alone it is apparent that living in a city can be harder to live in than a small town. "Rarity Takes Manehattan" was most accurate when the episode was driving the point that ponies who live in dense cities don't have the same laid-back attitude as the ponies in Ponyville. It's harder to make friends because survival in the city is everypony's main concern, eventually everypony adapts a hardened attitude. Ultimately lesson I learned and that I want everyone to take away is that even when everypony hustles day and night in the big city it is still important to show a little bit of kindness toward others. Here in the big city is where we need it most.

thanks.

-S

Edited by Sully
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say that I enjoyed this episode.

However, it wasn't a bad episode.

Don't get me wrong, I liked seeing a nice Rarity-focused episode.

But I just couldn't get myself to like the episode after watching a few times.

• 2 weeks later...

This, right alongside Simple Ways, is undoubtedly my favorite episode of the season - no - of the entire series!

Suri reminded me a whole lot of one of my friends... Except my friend is a bit nicer.

Coco Pommel is now my favorite secondary character EVER!

When Spike was helping Rarity with her luggage, Twilight looked really grumpy... I, for one, think Spike was very sweet and gentlemanly!

Favorite part: The start of the song

Favorite line: "Yeah... I'll be a dear."

Is - is that a grumpy cat cutie mark?

post-14812-0-37037500-1394566155_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lady~Rarity
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely one of the best episodes of the 4th season.

I really like how we can see the difference between Ponyville and an active city like Manehattan.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved this episode! It had a really nice meaning, and Rarity was at her best. The ending was powerful when Coco gave Rarity the trophy because she deserved it.

Edited by Rainbow Epic Power
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...