S04:E08 - Rarity Takes Manehattan  

326 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

(edited)

What would have happened to Suri Polomare after the events of the episode? Would she have been disqualified from the fashion show? Would she have been arrested and tried for her wrongdoings?

Edited by MalekPony

• 5 weeks later...

What would have happened to Suri Polomare after the events of the episode? Would she have been disqualified from the fashion show? Would she have been arrested and tried for her wrongdoings?

She would've been disqualified, that's all.

I don't think she would've been arrested, that sounds too severe.

Edited by Blobulle

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Great episode.  The only thing I can pick at is that I feel like the whole city of Manehattan is a little out of place within Equestrian Lore.  It's 1950's Manhattan.  ...mmmm....not sure sure that it really fits.  I mean, Equestria is suppose to be fantasy, right?  We have all this ancient style architecure, (Roman, Greek) and Ponyville, which makes me think of Whiterun in Skyrim, and castles and places like the Crystal Empire, and then random 1950's New York.  I dunno, the Skyscrapers just don't feel right to me.  And why would they have a statue of Liberty?  It's not the USA.  The statue did annoy me a bit.  But they did show Manehattan back in season 1, so it's not like it's a continuity error.  It just bothers me.  But I tend to pick at this show and analyze everything, so, yeah.  I hold it to way too high of a standard, but it's the show's own fault for being so damn good.

Anyway, it's not a big deal for me.  It's a small criticism.  I loved the writing in this one, and I thought this was Rarity at her best.  Yes, she was mean in one scene, but the point of this show is not for them to be perfect, but to be real and learn from their mistakes.  I enjoyed this one very much.  That biatch that stole Rarity's line, though, god I wanna drop kick her into a volcano.  Oh yes, and Rainbow's love for the musical just tickled me to death.

• 1 month later...

There are some flaws though. Twilight can't get a taxi even though she is a princess. It seems a bit off.

It's NYC! No one gets a taxi in NYC.

Ever.

"Once upon a time, Orion Caelum was late for work. He tried to get a taxi, and no taxis came. One driver gave him the finger. Orion missed work."

....bad memories.

Anyway, on the episode itself, I liked it. Good to see some more of Rarity in her element. But seriously, kids, don't get angry 'bout just a fashion show. You'll lose all your friends and stuff.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

What can I say? Wow! That was both amazing and emotionally charged episode I have seen yet!  The music for one thing, wow, Rarity has a good sining voice.  Then her fashion sense really shined in this episode.  She is so stylish.  

When she got to the scene when she thought her friends left her, seeing her walk in the rain, and cry out for what she realized was what she needed the most, it made me cry with her.  Then when she realized that her friends didn't abandon her after all, it sent chills down my side.  

It makes me realize that when I have friends who can do something that makes me upset, I should also be just as forgiving.  Sometimes we don't always show our best, but deep down we know who we are and what we are made of.  I am so grateful that I have friends like Rarity does. Makes me appreciate them more.  

Here is my favorite scene - I got my picture from mlp.wiki.com 

It's NYC! No one gets a taxi in NYC.

Ever.

"Once upon a time, Orion Caelum was late for work. He tried to get a taxi, and no taxis came. One driver gave him the finger. Orion missed work."

....bad memories.

Anyway, on the episode itself, I liked it. Good to see some more of Rarity in her element. But seriously, kids, don't get angry 'bout just a fashion show. You'll lose all your friends and stuff.

That is terrible, can't get a taxi anywhere.  I've never been to New York, but I have heard stories like that.  I've been to Chicago, but I've never had a problem there.  Must be the culture there.  I loved how that one taxi took notice how Rarity helped him, so he went out of his way to help her.  Generosity is contagious. 

post-36321-0-60878700-1447992866_thumb.png

This episode was amazing! It had a great story, and Coco Pommel was adorable :love:. But what really did it for me was:

"When you come to see my fashion show without any fashion to show, you can have more entertainment! 'Oh, why look, there's our friend Rarity going down in FLAMES!! Isn't friendship magic?!'"

I had to rewind and watch that again. I would NOT stop laughing, and neither would my brother who isn't interested in the show at all. But, anyway, this was a very good episode overall, and taught a great lesson. The songs were quite nice as well. :) Not to forget, the generosity made me feel all happy :P

Edited by Wolves

• 3 months later...

Rewatching this episode on Netflix (series 5 isn't on there) just spotted an animation near the end. Watch the quill carefully when Rarity finishes writing her diary entry and puts the pen back in the pot.

I have been putting off all the MLP episodes since Bats! and I finally took time out to watch this episode. 

I love how MLP showed kids, and us bronies, just how horrible big cities are. I Blame big cities for the downfall of humanity; you go to one and people(ponies) could care less about you. 

I digress, this is not the thread for my rants. 

Favorite moments in the episode where the random song number, and spike being Rarities whipping boy...er..dragon.

I laughed way too hard at Rainbow's "Like, who breaks out in a random song and dance at the drop of a hat?" *Cue Rarity*

Also, I kinda found it messed up how Twilight sees Rarity persuading Spike to be her whipping boy and Twilight does nothing about it.

I mean, when is Twilight and Rarity going to have that whole,
"You cant seduce Spike to do whatever you want, just because he has a crush on you."

Think it's meant to be like a running gag.

I recommend this filler story reading that fits in with this episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPuMnOZIopI

I'm not affiliated with the author, just came across it.

It was good, great in fact, but..here are pros and cons for yall...

Pros

This was a good chance to see the outside of Ponyville (besides Canterlot) and it really gave us a chance to see how important fashion is to her. Yea, Rarity got pissed, but it's always a happy ending..

Just one small con

The song was kind of pointless. Idk..just didn't like it. I mean, what does being generous have to do with Manehatten?

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I really enjoyed this episode quite a lot.

In fact you can say that I love it.

It is one of the best episodes to come out of season 4 and one of my all time favorites.

This is the episode that made Rarity one of my all time favorite FIM characters as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The first time I saw this I was genuinely shocked how Rarity bawled out her friends for not doing good enough work, and stormed out in a huff. I was like "Whoa! What just happened?" :o Of course she redeems herself and is genunely grateful to find her friends are still there for her. Was really quite emotional.

And mucho kudos to Coco Pommel for doing the right thing, and dumping Suri!

Applejack: "Normally she doesn't even like musicals."

Rainbow Dash: "I know. Ponies just bursting into song in random places at the drop of a hat? Who does that?!" *Cue Rarity singing*  :lol:

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

@@ghostfacekiller39

Spike does stuff for Rarity because he thinks he has a shot with with her.

If this is not true, then Rarity is using him, because she understands that he is doing stuff for her, because he thinks he has a shot with her. So she is not sparing his feelings. She is making use of them.

I wonder how would this play out in the discussions if it was a female character that gets abused like that because she likes a male.

It is actually PRETTY obvious that spike is doing things for rarity because he has a crush on her....... He gets annoyed because of the amount of work he is putting himself under.......

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still a little irritated by the ending of this episode, where it teases a change in the status quo... and then conjures up an excuse for it not to happen. I mean, it's thematically appropriate, but god forbid anything actually changes in this show, even temporarily. Also a little harder to accept Rarity reaffirming values she already had when so little of the rest of the season has any meaningful character development, but that's less of a problem when this episode is taken in a vacuum. 

Indeed, if we ignore the stagnation of season 4, it's hard to find much fault here. The real genius of season 4's "reaffirmation" model is that it allows for universal themes and even genuinely poetic touches. Here, Suri is the only foil for Rarity's generosity, as we see early on that it causes others to be generous in turn. When Suri's actions cause Rarity to briefly abandon that, her victory feels hollow. She was told that "it's everypony for herself in this city," but when she takes that to heart, the cost doesn't seem worth it. Admittedly, while the theme is pretty clearly to always be generous and never take others' generosity for granted, I think this would be a little stronger if taking that generosity for granted had backfired for her... but then again, she thinks it does, until she finds that her friends carry on her values even when she falters. Absolutely irresistible. 

Honestly, though, my biggest reason for liking this episode is just because it's a major turning point for Rarity. It's where she finally starts shedding the vanity which made her so polarising in the first three seasons and becomes the endearing, truly wonderful pony we know now. The episode also has touches of urban modernism, with taxis and such, and though they're comparatively light, this makes the episode sort of a predecessor to "The Saddle Row Review." 

It's just so lovely. Top tier comfort food with a great moral. 

Score:

Entertainment: 10/10

Characters: 10/10

Themes: 10/10

Story: 9/10

Overall: 98/100

• 6 months later...