Nohbdy

S04:E08 - Rarity Takes Manehattan  

326 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

We finally got a good song this season! Rarity's songs never disappoint, she dominates my top five favorites.

And of course, this episode was pretty great too. Polsky's best so far. Personally I like it when the pony world isn't shown to be all nice all of the time. Showing that pressure can bring out bad parts of even your best friends was a great thing to.

Though one of my favorite things was that we finally got some new characters! Suri was a very good antagonist, just the right kind for Rarity. Coco, on the other hand, was adorable! I wish she'd taken Coco as her assistant instead of just giving her the costume job, I want to see more of her. And since they don't use characters in every episode anyway, Rarity's absence would've already been explained.

Some people are complaining about the "taxi scene" in this episode.

I didn't expect Twilight to flare her wings and demand that those ponies in the line allow Rarity to take the next taxi, and I'm glad she didn't. I want Twilight to "be a princess" by doing stuff like solving problems, and showing wisdom, showing that she has learned something, not by pulling rank like a human teenage bitch whose daddy has too much money in the bank and thinks she can do anything to anyone. So, I don't blame that pony telling Twilight that Rarity has to wait in the line.

Thoughts?

My thought: she should have just teleported. Or Rainbow could have just flown her there. Both would've been faster than a taxi.

No I feel the same about how people who vote for Luna all the damn time, and I love Luna. But seems like 98% of people vote for her because of the Fanon around her, not her actual character in the show. It is just blind votes that piss me off.

Well, I for one voted Luna as "Best Princess" without ANY of the fanon.  I simply like her, and I don't need any more reason than that.

My thought: she (Rarity) should have just teleported. Or Rainbow could have just flown her there. Both would've been faster than a taxi.

Rarity has never been seen teleporting - so far as we know, Twilight's the only one who can do that.  The show is a little inconsistent about who/what will teleport with her, as well as what distances and in what conditions she can do it.  So far as I know, the only times she's teleported someone else WITH her has been when Spike was on her back, and in PTS Part 1, she teleported without him, causing him to smack into a window.

Twilight has been seen teleporting other characters (Magic Duel), but it's shown that those were over some very short distances.  They state that the hotel where Rarity's dresses are, and the show where they need to go, are across town from one another, so that's a much larger distance and probably one where Twilight wouldn't be able to predict exact locations.  In other words, probably not realistic. :)

As for Rainbow Dash: She rarely carries anyone, and it's implied that, unless she's doing a Sonic Rainboom, carrying someone or something slows her down a lot.  So that probably wouldn't have been doable for her either.  Sometimes, good old-fashioned taxis are the most efficient means of getting places. :)

Rarity has never been seen teleporting - so far as we know, Twilight's the only one who can do that.  The show is a little inconsistent about who/what will teleport with her, as well as what distances and in what conditions she can do it.  So far as I know, the only times she's teleported someone else WITH her has been when Spike was on her back, and in PTS Part 1, she teleported without him, causing him to smack into a window.

Twilight has been seen teleporting other characters (Magic Duel), but it's shown that those were over some very short distances.  They state that the hotel where Rarity's dresses are, and the show where they need to go, are across town from one another, so that's a much larger distance and probably one where Twilight wouldn't be able to predict exact locations.  In other words, probably not realistic. :)

As for Rainbow Dash: She rarely carries anyone, and it's implied that, unless she's doing a Sonic Rainboom, carrying someone or something slows her down a lot.  So that probably wouldn't have been doable for her either.  Sometimes, good old-fashioned taxis are the most efficient means of getting places. :)

Actually I meant Twilight was the one who should've teleported. I must've accidentally deleted that part when I was rewriting the post. I can't say I agree though. As powerful as Twilight's magic is, I don't see why she can't do something which she makes seems so simple. And I'd still say Rainbow could get Rarity there faster than a pony running with a heavy carriage and an extra pony could.

Edited by FlutterDash4072

This episode was really great. (A similar thing happened to me a few years ago lol, so it kinda touched me)

But anyway, this awful grumpy cat cutie mark killed it all for me. Also the lack of logic with Twilight lol.

Actually I meant Twilight was the one who should've teleported. I must've accidentally deleted that part when I was rewriting the post. I can't say I agree though. As powerful as Twilight's magic is, I don't see why she can't do something which she makes seems so simple. And I'd still say Rainbow could get Rarity there faster than a pony running with a heavy carriage and an extra pony could.

If you think about it from a technical standpoint, all of Twilight's teleports (except for perhaps her very second one in Ticket Master) were over short distances - perhaps no more than a few meters in any case.  The one in Ticket Master implies some sort of "homing" ability, and it's unclear where she was when she teleported.  But otherwise, every other teleport has been over a short distance in a place where she either can see or has a mental map of both start and end points.  With them being some sizeable distance away from both the hotel and the show, and with Twilight not having been to the show at all yet, it's unlikely that she'd know where to teleport Rarity to, or if she could somehow manage to send her that long of a distance.

Also, it's implied that the taxi ponies are quite strong and fast - they really could be faster than Rainbow Dash with a passenger. :)

• Brohoof 1

If you think about it from a technical standpoint, all of Twilight's teleports (except for perhaps her very second one in Ticket Master) were over short distances - perhaps no more than a few meters in any case.  The one in Ticket Master implies some sort of "homing" ability, and it's unclear where she was when she teleported.  But otherwise, every other teleport has been over a short distance in a place where she either can see or has a mental map of both start and end points.  With them being some sizeable distance away from both the hotel and the show, and with Twilight not having been to the show at all yet, it's unlikely that she'd know where to teleport Rarity to, or if she could somehow manage to send her that long of a distance.

Also, it's implied that the taxi ponies are quite strong and fast - they really could be faster than Rainbow Dash with a passenger. :)

You do bring up a good point about Twilight's teleportation. I guess I've taken what other characters who can teleport can do and just assumed she could do that too. Twilight's teleportation is actually very weak in comparison.

We'll have to agree to disagree about Rainbow though.

My thought: she should have just teleported. Or Rainbow could have just flown her there. Both would've been faster than a taxi.

I don't know. Can Rainbow carry a pony while flying at high speeds? how would this work? Rarity straddling on Rainbow's back? Holding her in her hooves?  It was also raining.

Looking at other posts, you seem to mean that Twilight should have teleported Rarity. I suppose it's possible. Twilight has done some pretty amazing stuff. But I can't get out of my head an image of Rarity being teleported into a wall or other pony with very gory or at least troubling results.

I don't know. Can Rainbow carry a pony while flying at high speeds? how would this work? Rarity straddling on Rainbow's back? Holding her in her hooves?  It was also raining.

Looking at other posts, you seem to mean that Twilight should have teleported Rarity. I suppose it's possible. Twilight has done some pretty amazing stuff. But I can't get out of my head an image of Rarity being teleported into a wall or other pony with very gory or at least troubling results.

She did it in Sonic Rainboom, and I don't think the Rainboom gives her a strength boost. She doesn't really even need to fly that fast, just faster than a pony can run, which I think is very possible for her.

• Brohoof 1

It is nice to see Rarity take the spotlight since she was seriously overdue for another episode featuring her.

Coco, even though she could be just a one-off really grew on me, seeing her in such a state of torment really made me feel sorry for her and what she has to go through but I'm glad that she was redeemed and given a second chance by her confession, I'm really hoping to see her again sometime later.

The one thing that I really find interesting about Rarity was the transition from being a friend to a prize freak by means of Coco and her contest rival as well as her realization of her foolishness in self-loathing and self-pity and her own redemption to her friends for thinking of them taking advantage of her generosity and her reconciliation with Coco at the end. This showed me that too much of a good thing and having anyone take advantage of it could be almost too much for one to bear. I think Rarity has grown in this episode; so far, it is the best episode she's ever gotten in the show.

She did it in Sonic Rainboom, and I don't think the Rainboom gives her a strength boost. She doesn't really even need to fly that fast, just faster than a pony can run, which I think is very possible for her.

You're right. She did.

Well, the weather seems to be out of control over Manehattan... It's just another thing to add to the list of complaints. I mean, no episode is perfect.

Would have been dangerous though. With other pegasi flying around and structures all over. But I guess that you are right.

• Brohoof 1

i thought they would resolve something with spike, i mean, even though rarity was really great in this episode, i almost began to hate her in the beginning because of how she kept (i guess you could call it?) using spike, it seemed a little off. and when the taxi driver was talking to twily, i was sure he would be all yes, princess. but he was pretty jerkface.

It wasn't the best episode but it does display how ignorant everypony is to princesses    :okiedokielokie:

I actually wasn't bothered by this.  While I agree "Princess" Twilight Sparkle needs some attention, since that's a huge event in the story's overall arc, I think it also speaks well to the idea that she can have royal status and still be a normal pony in all other respects.  If anything, I'd bet that Celestia and Luna would love to be seen more like normal ponies that require no special treatment.  I'd say in that respect, Twilight's in a rather enviable position.

But also, if you think about it, Twilight's lack of recognition kinda reflects how things tend to happen in the United States (and probably many other countries) - how many individual members of your government can you name and recognize on sight?  (I like to think I'm pretty well-informed, and even I can't name more than 3 or 4 people beyond the President and Vice President, much less know what they look like.)  It's *possible* that the writers are intentionally downplaying Twilight as a princess by saying that many ponies either didn't attend the ceremony or forgot about it.  Who knows?

This is the best episode of the season so far.... I love it and Coco Pommel is so cute :D and the most important part is the spool thread the key? I love this. Episode I cant Belive that peoeple hate this episode

Edited by WarriorShy
  • Brohoof 1

Why is everyone so obsessed with Rarity this season?

Seems like every poll this season on EQD that has had Rarity in it, she has won.

I just don't get it.

I don't even know how in the hell she won the Power Ponies "Best Costume" poll, other than the fact people probably just voted for her because of her OP super power, other than her bland purple suit. Seriously, Rainbow Dash, and Twilight should have been miles ahead in the poll. Hell APPLEJACK should have been ahead of Rarity for fuck's sake!

People in this fandom shift opinions so fast it drives me nuts!

Even after watching the episode for a second time, I still will have to disagree with you.

To me, I can understand how she felt because I draw and that has happened. I've seen people take credit, fail at it, but take it nonetheless. This would bring her clothing out, which she needs.

AJ needs her apples to prosper with her farm since she needs the bits. She was being forceful in the way she had presented herself. (In the song, she got in their faces and they gave noticeable reactions. Plus, she was doing the fear factor.) Many bronies consider it her right to get the bats off her property since they destroyed her property.

Rarity needs her ability to create fashion and needs all the items she has, its her livelihood and the way she sustains herself aside from gem finding. Yet, she generously gives what she can away. She did so, and was royally screwed over. It must have taken a ton of time to do what she did to both bring them there and even get the tickets. They rallied to help AJ even through the trouble she had caused. Rarity threw her fit, but isn't that similar to the rant AJ gave in a song? Plus, even then, you have to remember, she's highly emotional and stressed. She must create a new line to replace the line that was stolen. Add this to the mix and OF COURSE she would be that way. They wanted what they were given, but they didn't actually want to help her despite being offered. 

AJ showed the same frustration that Rarity had, but in a different way. She lashed out because she was angry over the spell not working and at the bats in general. 

It just seemed to me they were off in this episode when in last episode they rallied eagerly behind AJ with her problem. (When its the same way, in essence.)

I keep seeing the "Rarity abuses Spike" argument being made here; I must say, that is a horrible argument.

First, let me begin by saying Spike is whipped; I'd drop the p word referencing the women's...erm, area, but I think the point is made well enough for you to understand. He's totally infatuated with her; he has had dreams of them living in an ice cream house.

When Rarity asked Spike to pick up the rest of her bags, he was already carrying some of her (many) things to begin with. He likes helping her because of how much he's infatuated with her; lest we forget, he volunteered himself to be a Pincushion before. I don't need to say much past that to prove that point.

He likes doing those sort of things for her.

If she were to ask him to stop helping, it'd be a form of rejection; a pain much worse than lifting a bunch of bags and crates and chests; it'd say she didn't want him around. She didn't want him, maybe even was irritated by him.

Now, we've all liked someone of the opposite gender, I think it's safe to assume; did it feel good if they didn't like you back? Even as much as getting the feeling you were annoying them? No, I didn't. It hurt.

Not only does Rarity spare his feelings, she's grown quite attached to him in a platonic way. 

"Spikey-Wikey"

"Spikey-Boo"

She also stood up for him when the other 5 laughed at his apron in Dragon Quest, was insistent he didn't go on the dragon migration because it was too dangerous, and, even though in Secret of My Excess when her own dress she had hoof-made herself was destroyed, she refused to give up the gem he had given her; not because of how pretty it was, but she cited how much she valued the little dragon who had given it to her. 

So, all in all, does Rarity abuse Spike? Not even close :D It's safe to say she cares about him more than any mane 6 character besides Twilight.

• Brohoof 2

This episode was quality. Enjoyed it from start to finish. Most everything else I could say has already been said.

(P.S. I loved the Grumpy Cat cutie mark. I don't care that it wasn't poni-fied. I don't care that it was obvious. I don't care that it was fan pandering. In fact, I'm pleased as punch that it was all three.) :D

• Brohoof 3

When Rarity asked Spike to pick up the rest of her bags, he was already carrying some of her (many) things to begin with. He likes helping her because of how much he's infatuated with her; lest we forget, he volunteered himself to be a Pincushion before. I don't need to say much past that to prove that point.

He likes doing those sort of things for her.

I'm not sure that came across so much in this episode.  Spike offered to help and genuinely wanted to help, at the start at least, but he was obviously annoyed by the fact that all of the Mane 6 were making HIM carry all the bags and nobody else seemed inclined to help.  Both Rarity and Twilight saw what a miserable shape he was in and did basically nothing about it, other than Rarity getting him a carrot-dog that quickly got stolen.

And otherwise, Spike had absolutely no role at all in this episode.  I thought they might have had some room for him to try to comfort or console her when she'd just been ripped off, but instead he was nowhere to be found in that scene.  Rarity may have taken him up on his offer to help, but I feel she and ALL of the Mane 6 more or less took advantage of him rather than being truly thankful for his help.

Not only does Rarity spare his feelings, she's grown quite attached to him in a platonic way. "Spikey-Wikey" "Spikey-Boo"

I always saw these statements of hers as a sort of unintentionally-demeaning "Aww, you're just a widdle baby dwagon!" type of thing, treating Spike more as a young child than an equal.

She also stood up for him when the other 5 laughed at his apron in Dragon Quest, was insistent he didn't go on the dragon migration because it was too dangerous, and, even though in Secret of My Excess when her own dress she had hoof-made herself was destroyed, she refused to give up the gem he had given her; not because of how pretty it was, but she cited how much she valued the little dragon who had given it to her.

So, all in all, does Rarity abuse Spike? Not even close :D It's safe to say she cares about him more than any mane 6 character besides Twilight.

This is one place where I think the show has been inconsistent with the relationship between Spike and Rarity.  It's true that Secret of My Excess is the closest we've been to seeing Rarity return Spike's affections.  Everywhere else, she's either paid them lip service, ignored them completely, or put him to work for what looks like her own benefit, but without actively acknowledging anything personal.  It feels like she strings him along, and it's unclear if she really does feel anything for him or if she simply enjoys the attention.  (Her dealings with others would suggest the latter.)

I actually really want to see the writers address this front-and-center at some point - Spike deserves a moment alone with Rarity where he can finally and truly express how he feels, come what may.  I don't necessarily care how she responds to this - I just want to see them stop pussyfooting around it so much, because honestly the "unrequited crush" arc has gotten kinda stale, IMO.

I'm not sure that came across so much in this episode.  Spike offered to help and genuinely wanted to help, at the start at least, but he was obviously annoyed by the fact that all of the Mane 6 were making HIM carry all the bags and nobody else seemed inclined to help.  Both Rarity and Twilight saw what a miserable shape he was in and did basically nothing about it, other than Rarity getting him a carrot-dog that quickly got stolen.

I think you're taking what is meant to be comic relief a bit too seriously. Spike wanted to help, and he kept doing it; he could've asked for help carrying the belongings, and there's no doubt in my mind one, if not all, of the ponies would've obliged.

And otherwise, Spike had absolutely no role at all in this episode.  I thought they might have had some room for him to try to comfort or console her when she'd just been ripped off, but instead he was nowhere to be found in that scene.  Rarity may have taken him up on his offer to help, but I feel she and ALL of the Mane 6 more or less took advantage of him rather than being truly thankful for his help.

Spike would've had little to no impact in this episode, with the episode being able to keep in line of Rarity discovering herself and learning and growing as a character; had Spike had a role, it would've easily turned into something about Sparity.

I always saw these statements of hers as a sort of unintentionally-demeaning "Aww, you're just a widdle baby dwagon!" type of thing, treating Spike more as a young child than an equal.

Well first, he's a baby dragon. Second, it's unintentional on her part, and I'm sorry if you feel that way, but it's more affectionate. She's accepting of his crush on her, and she has stated several times the amount of value she places on his friendship.

This is one place where I think the show has been inconsistent with the relationship between Spike and Rarity.  It's true that Secret of My Excess is the closest we've been to seeing Rarity return Spike's affections.  Everywhere else, she's either paid them lip service, ignored them completely, or put him to work for what looks like her own benefit, but without actively acknowledging anything personal.  It feels like she strings him along, and it's unclear if she really does feel anything for him or if she simply enjoys the attention.  (Her dealings with others would suggest the latter.)

I actually really want to see the writers address this front-and-center at some point - Spike deserves a moment alone with Rarity where he can finally and truly express how he feels, come what may.  I don't necessarily care how she responds to this - I just want to see them stop pussyfooting around it so much, because honestly the "unrequited crush" arc has gotten kinda stale, IMO.

First off, no; she's not some evil tramp who uses other people to achieve her own means like the way you're making her out to be, and I dunno what gave you that impression past the stereotype of her character arc; Rarity's type of character is usually reserved for the mean, snobbish girls who actually are like who you're making her out to be here. She's far from that, and the new episode proves that. That's sort of labeling.

Second off, I think you're not taking into consideration she doesn't return feelings of intimacy; she handles it very well, gently teasing him as to not get his hopes down, but nothing too strong to make him think "OMG SHES REALLY INTO ME! :wub: " because this is an awkward situation for everyone involved here; what would be stringing him along was if she actually did pretend to have intimate feelings for him, when, in all honesty, she doesn't. She's adores him in a platonic way and values his friendship, but this is hard on anyone in her position; having a friend you value so deeply have feelings of love towards you, but you don't feel them back.

It's a hard situation for anyone to handle. She does an excellent job of doing so.

And I think a Rarity and Spike episode was implied by McCarthy in a tweet somewhere, but I'm not sure how to take that :D

Edited by ghostfacekiller39

All these Rarity fans announcing superiority over everything. Not that they don't do that with everything already anyway. I suppose I'd do that too if Dash hadn't had spotlight for a season and a half </3 *shotshotshot*

Was very good :) The breaking into song joke, among others, were very awesome. Songs as always, too.

• Brohoof 4

Well first, he's a baby dragon. Second, it's unintentional on her part, and I'm sorry if you feel that way, but it's more affectionate. She's accepting of his crush on her, and she has stated several times the amount of value she places on his friendship.

Sorry, let me clarify what I meant.  She says "Spikey-wikey" in an affectionate way, but on a couple of occasions, Spike has shown some level of annoyance at that name.  I interpreted that as him wishing she'd treat him more like an equal than a little kid, and that her well-meaning label was still somehow demeaning rather than truly affectionate.  (In other words, similar to Applejack's "Let the big ponies talk" comment toward her little sister in Bridle Gossip.)

First off, no; she's not some evil tramp who uses other people to achieve her own means like the way you're making her out to be, and I dunno what gave you that impression past the stereotype of her character arc; Rarity's type of character is usually reserved for the mean, snobbish girls who actually are like who you're making her out to be here. She's far from that, and the new episode proves that. That's sort of labeling.

Not what I was intendinig to imply - it's clear that Rarity isn't intentionally taking advantage of Spike and using him out of any sort of spite or snobbery.  But it IS clear that she enjoys his attention and is willing to just let him fan her in the sauna or carry her heavy volume of bags, without necessarily giving him anything in return.  She sometimes does give him something of her own accord, but on one occasion (Just For Sidekicks), she pays him only after he silently demands payment.  But on other occasions, she basically lets him do his thing and otherwise totally ignores him in favor of whatever task she's focused on, leaving him in the position of "Hopefully she'll notice me eventually" (never fully expressed, but certainly implied).

Second off, I think you're not taking into consideration she doesn't return feelings of intimacy; she handles it very well, gently teasing him as to not get his hopes down, but nothing too strong to make him think "OMG SHES REALLY INTO ME! :wub: " because this is an awkward situation for everyone involved here; what would be stringing him along was if she actually did pretend to have intimate feelings for him, when, in all honesty, she doesn't. She's adores him in a platonic way and values his friendship, but this is hard on anyone in her position; having a friend you value so deeply have feelings of love towards you, but you don't feel them back.

It's a hard situation for anyone to handle. She does an excellent job of doing so.

Fair point - you are right that letting him serve her and fawn all over her without implying to him that she feels the same way back is better than making it seem like she loves him back when she doesn't.  But I also think the point I brought up earlier stands here - he has a romantic crush on her, but she sees him as a small child.  They're simply not on the same level with each other.  Spike has shown he can be just as mature (at times) as any of the Mane 6, but Rarity more often than not doesn't seem to see him that way, and treats him as though he were a lot younger in mind than he sees himself.  So then, not acknowledging his feelings for her could also be simply because she's interpreting them very differently than how he intends her to receive them.

And I think a Rarity and Spike episode was implied by McCarthy in a tweet somewhere, but I'm not sure how to take that :D

Well, there's definitely the risk of making MLP "Complicated" - romance is unfortunately a really difficult subject to bring up in a children's show unless you either plan to launch into traditional stereotypes or try to tackle its complexities head-on.  A lot of other kids' shows, Disney movies, etc., have all been rightly criticized as implying to little girls the idealized "Prince Charming" fairy-tale romance, and the truth is it just ain't that simple.  With the exception of Cadance and Shining Armor, who are already in love and getting married (and therefore there's not much to say other than "good for them"), I think the writers have been wise to steer clear of that subject in general (eg. Twilight + the boy's counterpart in Equestria Girls).  Really, the only brushes we've had with romance have been Spike's crush on Rarity, and Rarity's brief and disastrous encounter with the prince at the Grand Galloping Gala. :)

Much as I do want to see Spike and Rarity get their relationship resolved somehow, I do think it might be in the same boat as the Cutie Mark Crusaders getting their cutie marks - it would probably spell the end for that arc, and might be best reserved for when we know for sure the series as a whole is going to come to an end.

@@ghostfacekiller39

Spike does stuff for Rarity because he thinks he has a shot with with her.

If this is not true, then Rarity is using him, because she understands that he is doing stuff for her, because he thinks he has a shot with her. So she is not sparing his feelings. She is making use of them.

I wonder how would this play out in the discussions if it was a female character that gets abused like that because she likes a male.