Nohbdy

S04:E08 - Rarity Takes Manehattan  

326 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Did...did Rarity steal from the hotel to make those dresses? Rarity how could you? Also I hate the meme pony,he bothers me more than I thought possible.

Edited by Brosparkles

I don't know if it's been mentioned but does anybody think that rainbow thread has something to do with the box and the keys? Just the way it gleamed in the end. And the fact that it was a rainbow.

That's pretty much what everyone's saying lol... but yeah, I don't mean to jump to conclusions or anything, but I'd say it probably has something to do with the keys, either that or some outfit she'll make later in the season... both are exciting propositions though, for me anyway. :lol:

@@ghostfacekiller39

Spike does stuff for Rarity because he thinks he has a shot with with her.

If this is not true, then Rarity is using him, because she understands that he is doing stuff for her, because he thinks he has a shot with her. So she is not sparing his feelings. She is making use of them.

I wonder how would this play out in the discussions if it was a female character that gets abused like that because she likes a male.

You're looking at things in black and white. Spike does stuff for Rarity because he thinks he has a shot with her, yes. 

But that doesn't necessarily mean that she's using him and nothing more. I think I explained my reasoning behind this whole idealism very well right here:

Second off, I think you're not taking into consideration she doesn't return feelings of intimacy; she handles it very well, gently teasing him as to not get his hopes down, but nothing too strong to make him think "OMG SHES REALLY INTO ME! :wub: " because this is an awkward situation for everyone involved here; what would be stringing him along was if she actually did pretend to have intimate feelings for him, when, in all honesty, she doesn't. She's adores him in a platonic way and values his friendship, but this is hard on anyone in her position; having a friend you value so deeply have feelings of love towards you, but you don't feel them back.

It's a hard situation for anyone to handle. She does an excellent job of doing so.

You see, if she shot down his advances for help, that'd hurt him pretty badly because of how much he likes her, and she seems to be aware of that. That'd essentially be rejecting him. No good; it's hard on both parties here, as unrequited love often is.

I mean, she doesn't love him back in the same romantic sense, but simply adores him in a platonic sense.

She's doing the best she can not to hurt anyone yet maintain her friendship with him. That's a hard thing to do.

@@Pixel Stick, Gimme a sec, I'll get right to you :D I'm getting mindfucked with this stuff and I need to strech and get a Pepsi :D 

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 2

Well, I for one voted Luna as "Best Princess" without ANY of the fanon.  I simply like her, and I don't need any more reason than that.

Rarity has never been seen teleporting - so far as we know, Twilight's the only one who can do that.  The show is a little inconsistent about who/what will teleport with her, as well as what distances and in what conditions she can do it.  So far as I know, the only times she's teleported someone else WITH her has been when Spike was on her back, and in PTS Part 1, she teleported without him, causing him to smack into a window.

Twilight has been seen teleporting other characters (Magic Duel), but it's shown that those were over some very short distances.  They state that the hotel where Rarity's dresses are, and the show where they need to go, are across town from one another, so that's a much larger distance and probably one where Twilight wouldn't be able to predict exact locations.  In other words, probably not realistic. :)

As for Rainbow Dash: She rarely carries anyone, and it's implied that, unless she's doing a Sonic Rainboom, carrying someone or something slows her down a lot.  So that probably wouldn't have been doable for her either.  Sometimes, good old-fashioned taxis are the most efficient means of getting places. :)

There's Dragon Quest. By all indications, Twilight teleported herself, Rarity, RD and Spike far enough to reach the edge of a forest from deep inside it. So she can teleport quite a distance (with three passengers, no less) when she needs to.

Did...did Rarity steal from the hotel to make those dresses? Rarity how could you? Also I hate the meme pony,he bothers me more than I thought possible.

I don't know, did she? She gave a lot of money to the bellhop anyway... I think the hotel just inspired her honestly, if she did take anything from it to make her clothes I'm sure she paid for it offscreen or something. :huh:

I actually wasn't bothered by this.  While I agree "Princess" Twilight Sparkle needs some attention, since that's a huge event in the story's overall arc, I think it also speaks well to the idea that she can have royal status and still be a normal pony in all other respects.  If anything, I'd bet that Celestia and Luna would love to be seen more like normal ponies that require no special treatment.  I'd say in that respect, Twilight's in a rather enviable position.

But also, if you think about it, Twilight's lack of recognition kinda reflects how things tend to happen in the United States (and probably many other countries) - how many individual members of your government can you name and recognize on sight?  (I like to think I'm pretty well-informed, and even I can't name more than 3 or 4 people beyond the President and Vice President, much less know what they look like.)  It's *possible* that the writers are intentionally downplaying Twilight as a princess by saying that many ponies either didn't attend the ceremony or forgot about it.  Who knows?

i don't live in the us so i can't understand then last part :muffins:

i don't live in the us so i can't understand then last part :muffins:

Where do you live? What kind of government does your country have?  Can you name all of your heads of state?  Or just the one that's the most visible?  (Mods: Relevant, because I'm basically alluding to Celestia being as visible and well-known as President Obama, vs. Twilight being lesser known, like one of the senators from North Dakota, or something like that.)

Edited by Pixel Stick

You're looking at things in black and white. Spike does stuff for Rarity because he thinks he has a shot with her, yes. 

But that doesn't necessarily mean that she's using him and nothing more. I think I explained my reasoning behind this whole idealism very well right here:

You see, if she shot down his advances for help, that'd hurt him pretty badly because of how much he likes her, and she seems to be aware of that. That'd essentially be rejecting him. No good; it's hard on both parties here, as unrequited love often is.

I mean, she doesn't love him back in the same romantic sense, but simply adores him in a platonic sense.

She's doing the best she can not to hurt anyone yet maintain her friendship with him. That's a hard thing to do.

Sorry, But this is wrong. She is letting him do things for her for the wrong reasons, and letting him think it's because she likes him in the same way he likes her. This is not adoring someone. This is an abusive relationship.

If she didn't let him do things for her, I'd agree, however. But she does. And enjoys it.

It has nothing to do with Rarity telling him that she is not interested. It's about using his feelings for her so he'll do stuff for her.

Oh please I can beat this with out even trying.

In excell saga excell throws herself at her hyper abusive boss who repeatedly tries to kill her.

and she still adores him.

The fact she's reallt into him doesn't let him off the hook for being a douche.

But lets suppose you don't watch anime,

Harley quinn joker.
the fact she worships the groud he walks on doesn't make him any less of a jack ass ^^.

I keep seeing the "Rarity abuses Spike" argument being made here; I must say, that is a horrible argument.

First, let me begin by saying Spike is whipped; I'd drop the p word referencing the women's...erm, area, but I think the point is made well enough for you to understand. He's totally infatuated with her; he has had dreams of them living in an ice cream house.

When Rarity asked Spike to pick up the rest of her bags, he was already carrying some of her (many) things to begin with. He likes helping her because of how much he's infatuated with her; lest we forget, he volunteered himself to be a Pincushion before. I don't need to say much past that to prove that point.

He likes doing those sort of things for her.

If she were to ask him to stop helping, it'd be a form of rejection; a pain much worse than lifting a bunch of bags and crates and chests; it'd say she didn't want him around. She didn't want him, maybe even was irritated by him.

Now, we've all liked someone of the opposite gender, I think it's safe to assume; did it feel good if they didn't like you back? Even as much as getting the feeling you were annoying them? No, I didn't. It hurt.

Not only does Rarity spare his feelings, she's grown quite attached to him in a platonic way. 

"Spikey-Wikey"

"Spikey-Boo"

She also stood up for him when the other 5 laughed at his apron in Dragon Quest, was insistent he didn't go on the dragon migration because it was too dangerous, and, even though in Secret of My Excess when her own dress she had hoof-made herself was destroyed, she refused to give up the gem he had given her; not because of how pretty it was, but she cited how much she valued the little dragon who had given it to her. 

So, all in all, does Rarity abuse Spike? Not even close :D It's safe to say she cares about him more than any mane 6 character besides Twilight.

Sorry, But this is wrong. She is letting him do things for her for the wrong reasons, and letting him think it's because she likes him in the same way he likes her. This is not adoring someone. This is an abusive relationship.

If she didn't let him do things for her, I'd agree, however. But she does. And enjoys it.

It has nothing to do with Rarity telling him that she is not interested. It's about using his feelings for her so he'll do stuff for h

You didn't use a single piece of evidence or reasoning to back yourself up right there, bud ;) You simply stated your opinion and failed to back it up.

You claim they have an abusive relationship, but all you say is:

I countered that in my response, but you didn't seem to notice, let alone take the possibility into consideration :D

You also simply told me I was wrong and restated your opinion, you made no attempt to disprove my counter-argument whatsoever past your own opinion that "They have an abusive relationship," which, you already stated.

Come now, you've got to at least try and prove me wrong before you say I'm wrong :D That's how this whole thing works.

• Brohoof 2

I loved this episode :D. It's been far too long since Rarity has had an episode, and I think Rarity Takes Manehattan is my favorite episode of season 4 so far. It was so great to see more moments of Rarity being generous, and that song was so awesome (Rarity has such a great singing voice)!

In fact, I think this episode might just make my top ten episode list for the whole series.

Edited by SparklingSwirls
  • Brohoof 1

It has nothing to do with Rarity telling him that she is not interested. It's about using his feelings for her so he'll do stuff for her.

FWIW, I think the situation is about halfway between what you and ghostfacekiller are saying.  I agree partially with moonlight, in that I believe Rarity does sometimes "use" Spike and allows herself to just bask in his attention.  But I also agree with ghostface in that she does it WITHOUT the intent to harm him or abuse him in any way.  Frankly, I think she just lets her popularity get to her head (as we've seen plainly in Sonic Rainboom), and finds it safe to let Spike fawn all over her.  But my theory is still that she thinks of him as a little kid and doesn't acknowledge his feelings as romantic.  Perhaps she sees it as "puppy love", another cute and endearing concept that mature kids really hate. :)

I stated all my evidence earlier.  It definitely isn't a black-and-white issue, though.

• Brohoof 2

You didn't use a single piece of evidence or reasoning to back yourself up right there, bud ;) You simply stated your opinion and failed to back it up.

You claim they have an abusive relationship, but all you say is:

I countered that in my response, but you didn't seem to notice, let alone take the possibility into consideration :D

You also simply told me I was wrong and restated your opinion, you made no attempt to disprove my counter-argument whatsoever past your own opinion that "They have an abusive relationship," which, you already stated.

Come now, you've got to at least try and prove me wrong before you say I'm wrong :D That's how this whole thing works.

How do you call a relationship, of any kind, where one worships the other, who uses the first?

You ignored me saying that the problem is that she lets him do stuff for her, knowing why is it that he does it. And still allows it to continue, knowing that the only reason he does it is because he likes her. Like I said... The problem is not that he'll get hurt. It's that Rarity keeps at it, anyway.

Want evidence? Watch the cartoon. I'm done with this.

Sorry, let me clarify what I meant.  She says "Spikey-wikey" in an affectionate way, but on a couple of occasions, Spike has shown some level of annoyance at that name.  I interpreted that as him wishing she'd treat him more like an equal than a little kid, and that her well-meaning label was still somehow demeaning rather than truly affectionate.  (In other words, similar to Applejack's "Let the big ponies talk" comment toward her little sister in Bridle Gossip.)

Fair point - you are right that letting him serve her and fawn all over her without implying to him that she feels the same way back is better than making it seem like she loves him back when she doesn't.  But I also think the point I brought up earlier stands here - he has a romantic crush on her, but she sees him as a small child.  They're simply not on the same level with each other.  Spike has shown he can be just as mature (at times) as any of the Mane 6, but Rarity more often than not doesn't seem to see him that way, and treats him as though he were a lot younger in mind than he sees himself.  So then, not acknowledging his feelings for her could also be simply because she's interpreting them very differently than how he intends her to receive them.

Well, there's definitely the risk of making MLP "Complicated" - romance is unfortunately a really difficult subject to bring up in a children's show unless you either plan to launch into traditional stereotypes or try to tackle its complexities head-on.  A lot of other kids' shows, Disney movies, etc., have all been rightly criticized as implying to little girls the idealized "Prince Charming" fairy-tale romance, and the truth is it just ain't that simple.  With the exception of Cadance and Shining Armor, who are already in love and getting married (and therefore there's not much to say other than "good for them"), I think the writers have been wise to steer clear of that subject in general (eg. Twilight + the boy's counterpart in Equestria Girls).  Really, the only brushes we've had with romance have been Spike's crush on Rarity, and Rarity's brief and disastrous encounter with the prince at the Grand Galloping Gala. :)

Much as I do want to see Spike and Rarity get their relationship resolved somehow, I do think it might be in the same boat as the Cutie Mark Crusaders getting their cutie marks - it would probably spell the end for that arc, and might be best reserved for when we know for sure the series as a whole is going to come to an end.

He's a boy; a child, still, too. I don't think any male of that age would like getting called names like that though ;) I think Rarity is just trying to show her affection, and she means well :D I think that's what matters.

Not what I was intendinig to imply - it's clear that Rarity isn't intentionally taking advantage of Spike and using him out of any sort of spite or snobbery.  But it IS clear that she enjoys his attention and is willing to just let him fan her in the sauna or carry her heavy volume of bags, without necessarily giving him anything in return.  She sometimes does give him something of her own accord, but on one occasion (Just For Sidekicks), she pays him only after he silently demands payment.  But on other occasions, she basically lets him do his thing and otherwise totally ignores him in favor of whatever task she's focused on, leaving him in the position of "Hopefully she'll notice me eventually" (never fully expressed, but certainly implied).

That's a pro/con for her; she enjoys the spotlight, and sometimes it can lead to wanting attention too badly, and others it leads to a certain drive, passion, and ambition that's hard not to at least respect :D I can't explain Just For Sidekicks, other than a writer's lack of understanding to her character...that wasn't like her at all :blink:

Fair point - you are right that letting him serve her and fawn all over her without implying to him that she feels the same way back is better than making it seem like she loves him back when she doesn't.  But I also think the point I brought up earlier stands here - he has a romantic crush on her, but she sees him as a small child.  They're simply not on the same level with each other.  Spike has shown he can be just as mature (at times) as any of the Mane 6, but Rarity more often than not doesn't seem to see him that way, and treats him as though he were a lot younger in mind than he sees himself.  So then, not acknowledging his feelings for her could also be simply because she's interpreting them very differently than how he intends her to receive them.

He's a baby dragon still; he probably sees himself as older and a lot more mature than he actually is, as many of us have done at that age. That's really all I can say there.

Well, there's definitely the risk of making MLP "Complicated" - romance is unfortunately a really difficult subject to bring up in a children's show unless you either plan to launch into traditional stereotypes or try to tackle its complexities head-on.  A lot of other kids' shows, Disney movies, etc., have all been rightly criticized as implying to little girls the idealized "Prince Charming" fairy-tale romance, and the truth is it just ain't that simple.  With the exception of Cadance and Shining Armor, who are already in love and getting married (and therefore there's not much to say other than "good for them"), I think the writers have been wise to steer clear of that subject in general (eg. Twilight + the boy's counterpart in Equestria Girls).  Really, the only brushes we've had with romance have been Spike's crush on Rarity, and Rarity's brief and disastrous encounter with the prince at the Grand Galloping Gala.  :)

Much as I do want to see Spike and Rarity get their relationship resolved somehow, I do think it might be in the same boat as the Cutie Mark Crusaders getting their cutie marks - it would probably spell the end for that arc, and might be best reserved for when we know for sure the series as a whole is going to come to an end.

It won't happen, I know that much ;)

But, also, I'm not even sure if I saw that :blink: I swear I did, but I'd be lying if I were 100% sure. I saw it...but I dunno.

How do you call a relationship, of any kind, where one worships the other, who uses the first?

You ignored me saying that the problem is that she lets him do stuff for her, knowing why is it that he does it. And still allows it to continue, knowing that the only reason he does it is because he likes her. Like I said... The problem is not that he'll get hurt. It's that Rarity keeps at it, anyway.

Want evidence? Watch the cartoon. I'm done with this.

Whoa, hang on.  I have watched the cartoon, and nowhere in it does Rarity acknowledge openly that Spike has romantic feelings for her.  He's never openly told her, so far as we know - the only time he got close, she shushed him, and that was the closest we've ever seen to a real romance between them.  So based on what we see in the show, there's no evidence that she actually DOES know how he really feels for her, and that she humors him simply to keep him happy, thinking it's strictly out of a desire to be useful.

I do think you're being a little narrow-minded here.  You seem to have assumed that Rarity is choosing to actively manipulate her friends, and while she has some behaviors that come across that way, the writers make it clear that's not how she feels deep down.  When she realizes (especially in this episode) how her behavior has affected those around her, she feels profoundly sorry for it.

The issue I have is that she's more inconsistent about this with Spike than with virtually everyone else.  But I don't agree that it's out of any sort of malice.

• Brohoof 2

Where do you live? What kind of government does your country have?  Can you name all of your heads of state?  Or just the one that's the most visible?  (Mods: Relevant, because I'm basically alluding to Celestia being as visible and well-known as President Obama, vs. Twilight being lesser known, like one of the senators from North Dakota, or something like that.)

i guess i get what you mean but like 3 names isn't that hard to remember 

FWIW, I think the situation is about halfway between what you and ghostfacekiller are saying.  I agree partially with moonlight, in that I believe Rarity does sometimes "use" Spike and allows herself to just bask in his attention.  But I also agree with ghostface in that she does it WITHOUT the intent to harm him or abuse him in any way.  Frankly, I think she just lets her popularity get to her head (as we've seen plainly in Sonic Rainboom), and finds it safe to let Spike fawn all over her.  But my theory is still that she thinks of him as a little kid and doesn't acknowledge his feelings as romantic.  Perhaps she sees it as "puppy love", another cute and endearing concept that mature kids really hate. :)

I stated all my evidence earlier.  It definitely isn't a black-and-white issue, though.

You know, I can accept this, for what value that may have.

I think you got it. I sorta have trouble viewing this topic objectively, but I KNOW she isn't a damn manipulative demon-spawn who just uses others to achieve her own desires, but yeahh, she can be a bit histrionic at times :D (Not that I mind :wub:

• Brohoof 1

You know, I can accept this, for what value that may have.

I think you got it. I sorta have trouble viewing this topic objectively, but I KNOW she isn't a damn manipulative demon-spawn who just uses others to achieve her own desires, but yeahh, she can be a bit histrionic at times :D (Not that I mind :wub:

That's basically what I'm going for - the show is pretty clear-cut about truly evil and manipulative characters (eg. Gilda, Diamond Tiara, Trixie, Suri, etc.), and about when a character's flaws get out of hand (Mysterious Mare-Do-Well, any of Twilight's breakdown episodes, etc.) and cause problems.  But otherwise, I think of all the characters as inherently good, but not perfect - that's what makes them so relatable. :)

To our knowledge, Rarity is the only one of the Mane 6 who is someone else's crush (not considering ANY fan-fiction here).  The next closest thing is Scootaloo's hero-worship of Rainbow Dash, but that's not romantic in any way.  So it puts Rarity in a unique position of having to somehow manage it, and given who the crush is coming from, her way of dealing with it likely just means that she and Spike really aren't on the same page at all.  That in itself can be really funny to watch, but like I said earlier, I feel like that ship has kinda sailed and it MIGHT be time for them to either cool it or let it blossom.

To some extent, this relates more to something I said in Power Ponies: That I really want Spike to either become his own character, with dignity, or I want the writers to make it clear that he'll never be anything more than comic relief and a sidekick, and let him flourish as such.  Spike has been bouncing back and forth between those two roles the whole series, and I can't help but feel sorry for him in that.  The crush-on-Rarity arc is just a part of that, to me.

• Brohoof 2

A great episode, Rarity episodes are the only ones which seem to be consistently fantastic. Rarity is that kind of pony who does best as the star or even just having a fairly big role.

When Rarity is on the sidelines and just left to the occasional line of dialogue, the writers typically make her prissy and stuck-up and have everypony wonder why she is considered the element of generosity.

This episode was Rarity at her most interesting and sympathetic - not always at her best but that's part of what makes her character so interesting. Even though I consider Pinkie Pie best pony, I think Rarity has the most depth of the Mane Six.

I hope the writers bring Coco back at some point, she is an awesome and adorable character :D

Work it in somehow!! 

Also, bring Coco back before Gilda, ;)

Suri was kind of a bland villain though to be honest, however, we've been spoiled with the Mane-iac, Discord (okay not a villain but a troll), and Aizhutol (okay I'm spelling his name wrong, but whatever) this season alone.

On the whole, great episode. And as someone born and raised on Long Island and who currently works in NYC, I think Manehattan is a relatively accurate depiction of Manhattan.

• Brohoof 1

Suri was kind of a bland villain though to be honest, however, we've been spoiled with the Mane-iac, Discord (okay not a villain but a troll), and Aizhutol (okay I'm spelling his name wrong, but whatever) this season alone.

Actually, Suri's "blandness" was specifically what made me hate her much more than Mane-iac or Daring Do's nemesis (I'm not even going to attempt to spell his name).  To me, those two were shallow and one-dimensional, more appropriate to their respective tropes (super-villain and Indiana Jones-style god-villain).  I didn't really like either one of them that much.  Meh.  But Suri, being a polite and friendly double-crosser, actually touched a big nerve for me.  Anyone who's ever had their creative work ripped off and plagiarized knows how Rarity felt in this episode, and as I mentioned earlier, Suri can go rot in fashionista hell. :)

Personally, of all the Season 4 villains, Suri is the strongest one so far, followed closely by Diamond Tiara in Flight to the Finish.

• Brohoof 2

I really enjoyed this episode. Had a retro S1 feel to that, like going back to the roots of the show. I didn't like how they shoved generosity down my throat, but I honestly think that will happen with all the ponies elemets at some point. The thread will come back and tie into the keys, I'm sure of it. That was the generosity episode. At the end of the honesty episode, AJ will get an item, etc.

If that does happen, how will they do magic? Return of Trixie?!? :o

IDK, guess we'll see.

But regardless, I liked this episode and gained a lot more respect for Rarity through it.

I didn't see the song as Rarity being "oh look at me!!!" But more like- it feels good to give, be generous, and brighten people's day. She genuinely gave and helped out- and those people were there to help later. It wasn't her intention- it's about making friends. Like someone else mentioned, it's just the golden rule being acted upon.

Whoa, hang on.  I have watched the cartoon, and nowhere in it does Rarity acknowledge openly that Spike has romantic feelings for her.  He's never openly told her, so far as we know - the only time he got close, she shushed him, and that was the closest we've ever seen to a real romance between them.  So based on what we see in the show, there's no evidence that she actually DOES know how he really feels for her, and that she humors him simply to keep him happy, thinking it's strictly out of a desire to be useful.

I do think you're being a little narrow-minded here.  You seem to have assumed that Rarity is choosing to actively manipulate her friends, and while she has some behaviors that come across that way, the writers make it clear that's not how she feels deep down.  When she realizes (especially in this episode) how her behavior has affected those around her, she feels profoundly sorry for it.

The issue I have is that she's more inconsistent about this with Spike than with virtually everyone else.  But I don't agree that it's out of any sort of malice.

I don't know what is worse. That you guys are pretending to not understand what I mean, or that you make Rarity be stupid enough to not understand what is going on.

I don't know what is worse. That you guys are pretending to not understand what I mean, or that you make Rarity be stupid enough to not understand what is going on.

First off, don't put words in my mouth. I do NOT think she's stupid; I just don't think she's that kind of pony.

Because, well, she isn't. She's not going to be manipulative and use people, and, if she does, she at least has the decency to feel remorse about it, like, you know, she did in this episode; she felt bad for being awful to her friends and jetted out of the fashion show she would've won and enhanced her own career greatly by doing so, which, if she was the type of pony you're making her out to be, she wouldn't have done that :D She would've stayed in Manehattan and become a big name fashion designer, like she was so close to becoming in this episode had she not ran out at the last moment.

You also haven't done much to back up your opinions past stating them, dude, so of course I don't understand what you mean.

Because you haven't proved the point you're trying to make. You just said she used him, but you haven't done much else besides say that :D