Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

did no one else notice the GRUMPY CAT CUTIEMARK?!?

derpykitten

so i was watching  "Rarity takes Manehattan" this morning and during the musical number i noticed that the stallian whose hat she places the flower in,(after further research i discovered his name is Sourpuss) has a GRUMPY CAT cutiemark. it seems as though very few people noticed it, my fiancee who has been a brony longer than i by a month or two,didn't notice until l i had her rewind the recording and i pointed it out.. im not crazy right?post-21237-0-69122900-1388965400_thumb.png

• Brohoof 14

Yeah, I just noticed it because the Hub posted it on their Facebook page. It's a nice little joke I suppose, since the character is supposed to be "grumpy" type, of course.  

• Brohoof 2

*sigh* This is when I paused the episode, hit up my pal on Skype and said "The ride is over."

This is pandering. I hate it. The show needs to stay free of shout-outs to internet culture and especially to us. I miss the season 1 and 2 days.

• Brohoof 8

OMFG I didn't notice that! 

conan-rofl.gif

I don't even-

MLP, you are the best childish delight to ever walk this Earth. 

• Brohoof 1

*sigh* This is when I paused the episode, hit up my pal on Skype and said "The ride is over."   This is pandering. I hate it. The show needs to stay free of shout-outs to internet culture and especially to us. I miss the season 1 and 2 days.

OMFG I didn't notice that! 

conan-rofl.gif

I don't even-

MLP, you are the best childish delight to ever walk this Earth. 

Two types of people. I didn't notice this until I watched an analysis video that pointed out how shitty it was put onto the pony. It doesn't even move with the stallion

• Brohoof 1

Two types of people. I didn't notice this until I watched an analysis video that pointed out how shitty it was put onto the pony. It doesn't even move with the stallion

Yeah, this is one of those black-and-white topics, I feel. Maybe a tiny gray zone in the middle for the people who just really don't care.

I'll have to go back sometime and watch the animation here. I was too busy cringing the first time through.

Edited by Kolth
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, it was intended to satisfy fans, but hey. Live and let live. It's very rare that they ever do this, and it just shows how accepting and supportive this whole community of MLP is.  

I'm still really surprised that I didn't even notice it, especially with that awko cutie-mark. I look at pony faces first, I guess.  :P

ha ha i thought it was great in truth

for the writers of the show to give a

bit of love to a cat and such.  Also shows

they are looking more at the fans this time

around unlike season three which was

just a fall out sadly...

Was reading the YouTube comments section as I was listen to the Generosity song w/ reprisal to actually find it out. Sure, the design doesn't exactly fit the pony, but this made me all sorts of happy.

Ah... I don't like it. The show seems to loose of its innocence, of its quality.

I hope it doesn't get too far in these kind of things. The first and second seasons remain the best so far I guess, it doesn't have the same feeling.

• Brohoof 1

I only noticed after reading comments on it on Youtube. I wasn't staring at his butt. >.>

this made me go back and stare (LOL).

like ":Why would that even be an issue.. damn i can see why people watch it for the plot (jk).

• Brohoof 1

I wasn't too pleased about it. I mean, I find the Grumpy Cat meme kind of annoying and old anyway. But it was the only thing I really didn't like in the episode...

• Brohoof 2

*sigh* This is when I paused the episode, hit up my pal on Skype and said "The ride is over."

This is pandering. I hate it. The show needs to stay free of shout-outs to internet culture and especially to us. I miss the season 1 and 2 days.

I'm seriously laughing more than you think. They did shout outs to pop culture literally all the time. Nostalgia is one thing, whining about the show now is another.

Edited by Finesthour
  • Brohoof 2

Why? I thought it was hilarious what's the big deal with references

Seems like someone did. But you did too, so you can congratulate yourself equally well. There are more people who didn't spot it.

As to the issue of "pandering" and "the show getting worse" because of some little references here and there:

Personally I don't see this as something wrong, as far as it doesn't go too far (as we could see with "Double Rainboom" fanmade episode, which was just flooded with references and there wasn't much there beyond those references). This little reference is justified, since it doesn't interfere much with the episode, and I'd even say that it supports it, since what could be better for a cutie mark depicting some grumpy pony than a "grumpy cat" image? I cannot think of anything else. And it's a nice little easter egg for those who pay attention to such details. I do, and I appreciate them. I don't see it as pandering, but as a form of tipping a hat from the animators side to those more careful spectators, a form of saying: "Thanks for watching our work so carefully, here you have a cookie" ;-)

The show needs to stay free of shout-outs to internet culture and especially to us. I miss the season 1 and 2 days.

You mean back when they tossed derpy into the background every so often as a "wheres waldo" game for the fans?

To the point they even tried to add her to the show and got in trouble for it, then threw her back into the background?

The shout outs are nice IMO as long as they stay in the background, such as the angry cat and the wheres derpy, but I do agree they should probably avoid the up front things like when they tried to add derpy to the show itself for even a moment.

This is why I fear the pre-S4 comments about the new season and having luna and "a certain other pony" sing... Luna.. okay.. but this other pony.. scares me...  This could be an opener for new stuff to come, or the complete downfall of a fan favorite BG pony once again :(

But yeah, random BG nonsense as shout outs.. the comics do it a LOT, and its one of the big attractions to them IMO. But its done tastefully enough over there, and usually to 80's pop as opposed to modern, overdone internet memes.

Edited by GrimCW

• 2 weeks later...

What a surprise. Didn't notice it. I do like these references though others might not: it sort of ties the show with the Internet, memes, and other pop culture.

I remember the first one I noticed... Diamond Tiara's (or somepony's) "cuteceñera" (reference to quinceñera).

• Brohoof 1