Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming saddest video game moments to you

TheScarfedOne

The walking dead, man... So bad... Brought more tears to my eyes than ME3's ending... Clementine, you adorable bastard...

That last episode was just really emotionally exhausting.

Let's see here.

- Albedo's Change in Xenosaga II.

Let's face it.  It's not like Xenosaga was a very upbeat trilogy to begin with.  Most apocalyptic games are like that, despite this one being a space opera too.  But there are some things that go above and beyond to simply shock the audience.  One of those things, is Albedo.

Everyone that's played Xenosaga remembers who Albedo is.  The crazy regenerating antagonist that at one point dismembers himself to scare MOMO and shock the audience.  He was definitely one of the creepiest villains ever made, because he seemingly enjoyed causing suffering to others, and was essentially impossible to kill and likely would outlive all of humanity.

Well, that is until you learn why he's crazy.  Even as a child, he was violent and hurt others.  But the original reason that he did this, is because he figured that everyone could regenerate like he could.  That is, until Jr. tells him that they can't.  This causes Albedo to flip out.  But in this case, it isn't scary.  It's actually really freaking sad.  Here's a kid who was just told that he is going to outlive all of his friends and loved ones, and that he won't be able to die, no matter what he does.  All these thoughts go through his mind at once, and they crush him, eventually driving him to become the crazy guy we know him for.

This is the big change in Xenosaga, where most fans start realizing that the bad guys have far more depth to them than they do in most other games.  And it's at this point that I really started to understand just how awesome the storytelling was in this series.  A sign of a great game is when you can actually care about a villain as much as you do about the heroes.

- Metal Gear Solid 4.

Just that.  Metal Gear Solid 4.  The entire game is just one big depressing moment.  From the fact that Snake is an old man because his body is starting to degenerate, to the fact that you see beloved characters from the series start dropping dead left and right, to the tear jerking ending, everything about this game is just one big sad moment.

I think the saddest parts are:

Naomi's death, and Otacon's reaction to it.  Jeez, this guy is a jinx.  Every woman he falls in love with ends up dying. 

Eva's death, where she dies in Snake's arms after trying to retrieve Big Boss' corpse.  Oh, and she was revealed to be Snake's surrogate mother right before this.

And of course, the big one at the end.  The last scene with Big Boss.  I guarantee you that most fans of the series were crying manly tears during this scene.

Anyway, there are way too many scenes to list them all.  But take my word for it.  This is one of the saddest games of all time.

- Mother 3.

Again, the whole game.  Since I mentioned this in a previous post, I'll be brief here. 

But everything from the deaths, to the change in the hero's town, to the eventual end of everything followed by the ambiguous ending screen was so depressing, that I'm surprised that Nintendo fans didn't all become angsty after playing it.

And that freaking BGM that plays during all the saddest scenes.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1

I have a lot of sad moments in gamea.

1st) Heavy Rain. The entire game was just full of depressing moments. Seeing how far a father would go to save his son. I cried when I found out the last trial was to poison yourself in order to save your son.

2nd) Red Dead Redemption. The ending made me tear up. It gets to me every time.

3rd) The Walking Dead: TellTale Season 1. The last episode was sooo depressing and it made me cry at the end.

3rd) Modern Warfare 2. Roach and Ghost's death was really sad. Ghost was my favorite character in the entire series.

4th) Mass Effect 3. The ending may not have been great but it still brought a tear to my eye to see Shepard go. 

5th) Farcry 3. Vaas' death. He was my favorite character. :(

• Brohoof 1

I have a lot of sad moments in gamea.

1st) Heavy Rain. The entire game was just full of depressing moments. Seeing how far a father would go to save his son. I cried when I found out the last trial was to poison yourself in order to save your son.

2nd) Red Dead Redemption. The ending made me tear up. It gets to me every time.

3rd) The Walking Dead: TellTale Season 1. The last episode was sooo depressing and it made me cry at the end.

3rd) Modern Warfare 2. Roach and Ghost's death was really sad. Ghost was my favorite character in the entire series.

4th) Mass Effect 3. The ending may not have been great but it still brought a tear to my eye to see Shepard go. 

5th) Farcry 3. Vaas' death. He was my favorite character. :(

i cried when Thane died in Mass Effect 3.

Oh, here's another one.

Fire Emblem: Awakening

Chapters 9 and 10, without a doubt.

Chapter 9 leaves off on a shockingly depressing note for a game that's been mostly colorful and hopeful. Throughout the map the goal was to reach the end and save Emmeryn before King Gangrel could execute her by means of a REALLY long fall. Through a slow, sandy map full of enemies and two recruits, you eventually manage to reach the commander of the army and take him down. Then with the heavy stuff.

Once you reach the end of the map and have it completed, Gangrel will surround you in enemies you're supposedly unable to fight. If you make any attempt to kill the Mad King, Emmeryn plummets. Naturally, both you and Chrom are hesitant to move. Emmeryn sees this, and does the unthinkable: She chooses for you. No matter what choice you chose prior, she steps in and decides to make it easier on the Shepherds. She falls. She leans off the edge of the who-knows-how-deep drop, and falls, saying some powerful final last words before she goes. Chrom tries to get her to stop, but he's already too late. And of course, Gangrel rubs it in. He then tries to kill Chrom too, but are broken out by your then-more-powerful-than-you allies.

That one really isn't all THAT sad, but it builds up to Chapter 10 flawlessly. In Chapter 10, we see the Shepherds struggling to continue on despite Emmeryn's death. Chrom is barely doing anything past moving, and you yourself are struggling to give orders properly. It's raining, everyone's depressed and exhausted, but you press on, until you're met by a faction of Gangrel's army hoping to capture you. You, of course, have no choice but to fight. You choose the troops to send in to battle, and a player may notice a different song playing for the music. Rather than being the usual "Get ready for battle" feeling of music that played prior, you hear a new, more empty, mellow, and overall depressing song. As you pick your units and enter the battle, the leader, Mustafa, says that he pities you and your army and feels bad about Emmeryn's death, and says that if they surrender then and there, he promises to spare their lives. Of course, the good guys don't believe them, and Mustafa is left without a choice. Throughout the map, the same depressing song that played before plays ALL throughout. Your turn, enemy turn, even in battle, where songs are normally galvinized. A short time into the map and a long slaughtering later, there's a brief scene with Mustafa and one of his soldiers. The soldier says that he no longer has the will to go on fighting the Shepherds, and wants to resign. It's apparently because of Emmeryn's last words that just about none of the soldiers actually WANT to be fighting as they are. It's revealed then that the only reason Mustafa is still fighting is because his family is being held ransom for him by Gangrel, so he doesn't have a choice. He then tells his army that he'll allow them to leave, and he'll take the fall for them. His army only stays and goes on for his sake.

So, understand the scenario here: A long, difficult fight. The colorful nature and hopeful serenity of the prior maps is gone and replaced with a dark, rainy map covered in plateaus and holes. All throughout, a song of hopelessness and sorrow plays through it. And in the battle, neither side wants to fight, but neither side is able to back down. It's something really powerful for the light-hearted awkward offspring of a normally serious franchise.

And the real punch in the face? Once you beat him; killed him, and ended his army where it was; he asks you, in dying words, to spare his army. Most people would have probably mutilated his army all the way to Tellius and back by that point.

The game isn't normally the game to tell the best story, but when it makes something powerful, it makes something REALLY powerful.

I'll probably make more in a later post as I feel like doing so.

• Brohoof 1

The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon

Ignitus' sacrifice and then the game ending (excluding the last, bonus scene of course). These two were accompanied by climatic music and good grace, all 'dem feels, after you've played all the parts and realized the one who was at your side all the time just disappeared. And the ending itself is quite self-explanatory, I guess. It was the worst case of realization that such an adventure has just came to an end and I won't see more storyline anymore.

Hands down.

Emma Dieing in MGS2

The ending of Mass Effect 3.  I mean after three games, you are so attached to that world and the characters, that once it all just ends and everyone is split up, it is really heart breaking. Although I haven't seen the extended endings yet. I kinda stopped halfway through my hardest difficulty run, and haven't touched it in over a year.

I can't really think of any other moments off the top of my head, I only remembered Emma because someone else mentioned it.

Another moment that stands out from further back:

Chrono Trigger (SNES): About midway through the game, Lavos is awakened and attacks your party.  Unless you're playing in New Game Plus mode, your party is woefully unprepared for this and dies immediately.  Then Crono, your main character and the one you've always depended on, gets up and sacrifices himself to save the rest of the party.  You then play through most of the rest of the game without him.

IMO, Chrono Trigger is still one of the best JRPGs of all time, and this moment stands out more than any other in terms of its emotional impact.  The first time I hit this scene, I'd had no spoilers and no preparation for this moment, and I actually felt really lost (as I'm sure the designers intended for me to) for the first half-hour or so when I had to choose a party without Crono.

Definitely one of the best moments in gaming, if you ask me.

Honestly,

*Spoiler, I think few people are still playing this through...

Tellah's death from Final Fantasy IV.

It really made me antagonize Golbez just a little more, but *Insert more backstory here, probably 25-30 more hours of gameplay* WHAT?!?! So an entity named Zeromus is ACTUALLY BEHIND Golbez's evil? That's a surprise. *A little later...* GOLBEZ IS CECIL'S BROTHER??? BUT HOW???

After every piece fit, I couldn't even hate him. He was the VICTIM of SOMEONE ELSE. He almost KILLED his brother, by Zeromus' mind control. Wow. What a story. Even makes me forget Tellah and Anna... NOPE! Their story was just too sad to forget.

I cried when ben carmine died in gears of war 2 his last words man they just got to me he was so young as well war is just harsh

Also metal gear 3 when the boss dies wow that had me in tears

Oh oh and mass effect 3s ending makes me cry every time

Plus the end of the walking dead god damn bin zombie biting lee buck him

Halo 4 cortana dies at the end was a real buzz killer

resident evil 6 piers dies at the end in a major wtf just happened moment also weskers death in 5 I was sad because he had awesome hair and eyes and they got burned

I can remember fable 3 walters death what a buck me moment

That's all now

I cried when ben carmine died in gears of war 2 his last words man they just got to me he was so young as well war is just harsh

Also metal gear 3 when the boss dies wow that had me in tears

Oh oh and mass effect 3s ending makes me cry every time

Plus the end of the walking dead god damn bin zombie biting lee buck him

Halo 4 cortana dies at the end was a real buzz killer

resident evil 6 piers dies at the end in a major wtf just happened moment also weskers death in 5 I was sad because he had awesome hair and eyes and they got burned

I can remember fable 3 walters death what a buck me moment

That's all now

Ditto on Mass Effect, going through and saying good bye to your squad/friends was heart wrenching.

Another one that got me was Red Dead Redemption, was sad that John didn't get to have his happy ending.

* Borderland 2 could also be put in here, Tiny Tina's DLC was sad yet hilarious 

I think The Walking Dead goes without saying, and probably someone has mentioned it before me.

My personal note goes to Spec Ops: The Line, when you reach the top of the Burj Khalifa, and discover the madman responsible for Dubai's doom.

Colonel Konrad was dead all along. The only person who can be held responsible for the death of every single person surviving in Dubai is you.

The final "choice" in the game is whether or not to kill yourself to atone for what you've done. And you honestly have to think about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8taheS34qe