Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming saddest video game moments to you

TheScarfedOne

Maybe not the saddest but one that always sticks out.

Wild Arms XF spoilers ahead.

Around the end of chapter 1 you run into a group of Drifters (wandering mercenaries, basically) who have been fighting the Martial Guard who have been terrorizing the kingdom of Elesius under the orders of the corrupt council. (I swear, the story isn't that cliche or plain) This group goes to attack a fort that was supposedly left unguarded with their entire force...but that leaves the town wide open. This isn't the sad part since the main characters are there to defend it.

That's just the setup.

When the group of Drifters gets to the fort they find a specialized ARM (weapons that allow one to change classes, at least in XF. The definition of an ARM changes with each game in the series) but don't know what it really does. When they return to the town they feel so triumphant. They run into some trouble though and decide to try out the new ARM.

...It turns out that when this unique ARM activates it kills the user and they become mindless zombies. The fort going unprotected, the new ARM that was rushed to this area...all a ruse to set this trap off. These "Black ARMs" killed all of the Drifters without them even being given the chance to stop it. They didn't even get enough time to regret their decision. Dead. I found this particularly sad after their supposed triumph.

(edited)

Mgs4 big mama's death and big boss's death those got me cringe for a video game  and of course the truth about viktor reznov that he was in mason's mind and he was dead the entire time

Edited by Saudi brony

Mgs4 big mama's death and big boss's death those got me cringe for a video game  and of course the truth about viktor reznov that he was in mason's mind and he was dead the entire time

Man, the part that got me most in MGS4 was definitely

when Snake nearly shot himself at the end. I was almost in tears at that moment.

(edited)

Most of the forgotten history dreams from Lost Odyssey were really well written and interesting, but the "White Flowers" one always stands out in my mind. Put on some headphones and let yourself get lost in the atmosphere, and check out this story. It gives me goosebumps, every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5QPbnn8ZWo 

Kaim is immortal, by the way.

Edited by Lifeinsteps

Pretty much the entirety of Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon (Wii) was movingly, sweetly sad.  The game's setting is a unique kind of post-apocalyptic wherein the main character is virtually alone...  Save for the numerous ghosts that he encounters almost constantly.  You find all these relics of bygone, individual human lives; simple, everyday objects, usually.  And if you listen, there's a little story that accompanies each one of them.  And, no matter the nature of the story, you always know that those people no longer exist in this post-apocalyptic world.  Buy and play and love Fragile Dreams, if you can.  It will depress the hell out of you. xD  And creep you out.  And be awesome and surprising, too.

Most of the forgotten history dreams from Lost Odyssey were really well written and interesting, but the "White Flowers" one always stands out in my mind. Put on some headphones and let yourself get lost in the atmosphere, and check out this story. It gives me goosebumps, every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5QPbnn8ZWo 

Kaim is immortal, by the way.

I love the 1000 Years Of Dreams sequences. Too bad the rest of the game isn't even half as well-written.

My favorite (though I haven't seen them all) is "Don't Forget Me Now, Ya Hear?"

(edited)

I love the 1000 Years Of Dreams sequences. Too bad the rest of the game isn't even half as well-written.

My favorite (though I haven't seen them all) is "Don't Forget Me Now, Ya Hear?"5

Agreed, the game isn't really even all that great as far as JRPGs go. But those dream sequences, man.

Edited by Lifeinsteps
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

Pretty much everything in this thread has made me super sad at some point! Just remembering the end of Crisis Core is making me tear up. I tried so hard but then they threw 3 helicopters at me...

I'd like to add that the climb up the mountain near the end of Journey was probably one of the saddest and emotional moments in gaming for me. Seeing you and your partner's scarves dwindle away to nothing, slow down as you freeze to death, and finally seeing the person you've spent the whole journey with fall beside you right before you yourself succumb? The feels :(

Edited by TenorSounds

From Tales of Symphonia (honestly, the best RPG story-wise IMO) — if you've never played, I implore you to do so.

If you don't care about having the joy of play through ruined:

The saddest moment I've experienced is when Kratos betrays you in the Tower of Salvation. I had become emotionally invested in the story (and Kratos is my favorite character), and that killed me :( I was happy when he rejoined my party (sorry Zelos)

(edited)

Seeing the state of Bowerstone in Fable III. And people being executed. Then at the end where SPOILER ALERT: Walter Dies. And they have a statue in memory of him. Aerith dying in FFVII. Chico's emotional outburst in MGS:Peace Walker-''I'm not a kid. I'm 12!!!''. 

Edited by 41Hornet