Banner by ~ Sparklefan1234

Movies/TV Anime or Cartoons: How Did it Change You?

Riddle

Well, I've been a anime fan for most of my life and such and from those late 80's gems and to the rise of the 90's of Sailor Moon and the ground founding DBZ and all. Yet it made me think has anime and its fandom changed me in some ways? Well yes it did! I was a shy kid growing up, never raising my voice or making the eye contact (I was a fluttershy) but I did find a few souls who liked anime and it opened up the door well for talking and such making friends which it still does today!

Also anime made me look more into history like japan and want to explore a culture far different than my own so it opened up a door but also it did change my view well on, LBGT themes in the yaoi shipping I found online and yuri. That love has no gender boundaries if you can love a person for who they are (I grew up in a very small city with a ton of churches).

So anime did change me over the years and how I came to think but has it changed you? Did if effect also in say making you want to draw? Write a story for the first time? Its not all bout anime, how about maybe a cartoon?

Anime intrigued me back in high school when I first started dabbling in shows like Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin and Inuyasha, but I quickly came to find that pretty much every anime succumbed to Eastern tropes that even now bar me from taking them seriously (with few exceptions, like Cowboy Bebop). The one good thing I can say about anime is that it's what spurred my hobby of drawing.

Tangent: I'm glad anime has improved your view of the LGBT community, but to be perfectly honest, I've always found a majority of yaoi/yuri artists to be grossly misinformed as to how members of that community actually behave - i.e., not like heavily stereotyped, incestuous, borderline rapists who only ever think about sex. I'm not really someone who has a thin skin about that sort of thing, but I still feel such artists do more of a discredit to LGBT culture than any good.

On topic, my childhood was most heavily shaped by shows like '80s TMNT, Hey Arnold!, Invader Zim, and perhaps a few others. TMNT was responsible for my early lust for adventure, Hey Arnold! was one of the first shows that gave me characters that I as a kid could relate to, and Invader Zim instilled in me my bizarre and dark-ish sense of humor. Shows like Spongebob Squarepants were kind of "meh" to me as a kid, but as an adult, they're a riot. Whenever I'm with my band and we're taking a food break, we always put on Spongebob and laugh our asses off.

And of course, MLP is currently what consumes all my attention. I've probably said this elsewhere, but this show has really helped to pull me out of the rut I was in before joining the fandom, and pretty much gave me a connection with others that I've never before felt in any other fandom. TBH, I was a bit of a wreck just before I got into the show, but these delightful, colorful ponies really helped me to see that there's a whole lot more in life to make me smile than getting plastered 24/7. The show is, of course, also responsible for my interest in drawing ponies, thinking up my own fanon, and even writing a couple of songs inspired by the MLP universe. I can honestly say it's one of the better things that's happened to me in the last 5 years or so. ;)

Edited by Lord Thrashicane
  • Brohoof 1

Well I've always loved to draw (I guess it's a family thing) but I grew up loving Pokemon and always loved to draw animals/creatures like that and especially loved Charizard!

• Brohoof 1

Anime is part of what has helped me grow emotionally as a person, and has helped me solidify many friendships. I've always been pretty quiet, but with the help of my friends and Anime, I've become more confident in who I am, and am now probably too loud. The ones that affected me the most were Clannad (and after story), Elfen Lied, Angel Beats!, The world God Only Knows, and SOA.

• Brohoof 1

Anime has been a huge part of my life, I mean I've been a fan forever. I've been watching it since before I could read. (Thank you Pokémon trading card game for teaching me how :) ).

Pretty much all my friends like anime, and we're always talking about it. We also talk about ponies, which makes it even better. Anyways, I've been going to anime conventions every year for the past 6 years or so, and I got to say these cons are some of the best memories I have in my entire life. I'm definitely an Otaku. Anime for life! :D

• Brohoof 1

Can't say that it really changed me, I think it was always apart of me. I honestly can't remember a time where I wasn't interested in cartoons or Anime. They just make me happy and have probably even made me feel more secure when I was younger. I feel like I always have something to watch and the fanart is beautiful and just, it's the best thing ever created? Yeah.<3

• Brohoof 1