Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why i like and hate alicorn ocs

7th Boss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoZGq_kUr7s

I found this surprisingly quite funny.

the title explains itself sometimes i hate alicorn ocs. Although only sometimes only when they look odd like this:

img-2203707-1-attachicon.giffull.png

here is also something that can support my hate:

img-2203707-2-attachicon.gifNormal:Bad oc.jpg

Erm, well, I see the "hate" part... Don't know where you're getting the "like" from...

I dont really like alicorn ocs especially when its made by an amateur because they might get carried away with power. Like 'he can destroy the world when he whistles' or something like that :I Thats just my opinion :P

I actually think that's a really funny idea. *cleaning the house* ?Whistle while you work? *whistles* *BOOM* Aw, fuck! Not again!!

Edited by Clover Heart

The questions here for @,  and everypony else are:

• Is there any chance to create a fair and well thought alicorn?
  • What kind of character it should be?
  • How could it fit into the cannon world if posible?
  • would you analize an alicorn OC without prejudices or just because it has both wings and horn it will be hated?
Edited by Colt

I find them brainless but don't hate them...

First, having a deity as representation of yourself is a little pretentious, isn't it?

Second, the choice between horn or wing (or simply neither of them) is something that, I think, is important im the character devlopement, if you simply choose both of them, it let your OC a little empty in meaning...

But after all, who haven't done a alicorn OC? Even Mirror Shad (My OC) had been a pseudo-alicorn, with the help of mechanical wings, but still an alicorn...

(However, my OC have a kind-of-a-dark story... Maybe I failed somewhere...)

• Brohoof 1

I have an alicorn OC, in my unfinished fanfic. He's not all powerful; his story is that he was made an alicorn in much the same way as Cadance, in other words, as reward for a feat of courage. He fights the Big Bad of the story, but gets a smack down and needs to ask the Mane Six for help. His colour scheme isn't mad or stupid, and he does look like a series character. I haven't imported him over here, cuz I don't think that I could use him in any RPs.

To my mind, just the fact that an OC is an alicorn doesn't instantly give it Mary Sue/Gary Stu status, cuz believe me, I've seen plenty of unicorn, pegasus and earth pony Sues about.

My OC Rave Array might count as an alicorn? He's technically a unicorn but since he lives in Cloudsdale (long story) he needs wings to get around, so he has mechanical wings. He can't fly nearly as fast, far, or high as other pegasi though. 

I make all types of OCs. I only have two Alicorn OCs.

But I see why you hate alicorn OCs. People just go overboard with all of their aspects.

Here's one of my alicorn OCs.

img-2202001-1-melody_breeze_by_pikachu25

again I am totally ok with this as long as it isn't princess awesome love quality

The questions here for @,  and everypony else are:

• Is there any chance to create a fair and well thought alicorn?
  • What kind of character it should be?
  • How could it fit into the cannon world if posible?
  • would you analize an alicorn OC without prejudices or just because it has both wings and horn it will be hated?

Bullet #1: Yes there certainly is

Bullet #2: anything but Mary sue and nothing but good story

Bullet #3: you could fit it into a cannon possibly when the elements where transferred to different ponies and make the one of them in the end to become an alicorn not the same journey as Twilight but kindof

Bullet #4: I don't generally hate all alicorns i just hate it when it is too Mary sue ish and horrible in design like princess awesome love

I don't generally hate all alicorns i just hate it when it is too Mary sue ish and horrible in design like princess awesome love

Great I feel a challenge here and let me tell you I just love them. Im going to accept this challenge because among my OC designs there is one Alicorn.

First of all let me tell you a little from Princes Ancora comes from.  700 years before the show start, a time of confusion fear and the lost of balance, without Luna Celestia was losing the control over the realm, land and heavens Ancora was there to help her and in a way to fill the void Luna left inside Celestia's heart.

post-9346-0-34067600-1389938379_thumb.jpg

Ancora was one of the few reasons that kept Celestia smiling after the banishment of Nightmare Moon. She found in her "niece" a fortress of hope to escape from all the terrible events the dark times brought to her realm. In exchange Celestia was like a mother for Ancora, always a caring teacher and a faithful friend that brought to her the joy and wonders of becoming an alicorn. 

9238067266_30ba1149c6_z.jpg

From Celestia Ancora learned the responsibility that her powers brought and becoming a symbol of hope and strength among all the ponies in Equestria. After witnessing how much pain and suffering the dark times brought to her “mother’s” heart Ancora decided to oppose evil face to face. She trained for many years in multiple disciplines and studies, devoting herself in mind heart and body to Equestria and its needs. 

post-9346-0-89748300-1389941082_thumb.png

Why she is not part of the "history books" and what happened to her or the other 3 hero is a mystery yet her efforts became part of the Utopian realm we all know as Equestria.

• Brohoof 2

the title explains itself sometimes i hate alicorn ocs. Although only sometimes only when they look odd like this:

attachicon.giffull.png

attachicon.gifNormal:Bad oc.jpg

Ahhh... my eyes... no..please! Save the rest of the world!

Seriously, i hate don't like alicorn OCs... there should be just 4 alicorns (and i think adding twilight to the show as alicorn is enough) ...there is too much of them... i think we don't need 500 members of royalty and 100 subjects...

as was said here:

I look at them and think: "Pfft. Come on, Alicorns are MLP royalty. You're not that special."
Edited by Casy

Just don't give them eye-burning color schemes, whatever you do!

Like these, do you mean?

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/103/a/8/joke_alicorn_adoptables__1__open_by_a_n_k_adoptions-d61mqe0.png

Yes, these are a joke, but I've seen some very serious alicorn OCs with similar eye blinding colour schemes.

Edited by Pripyat Pony
  • Brohoof 1

I understand why a lot of people hate alicorn OC's, but honestly I can like them if they're done right. And I don't think the hate some people get for making them is right either. I've seen some really mean comments from people about other's alicorn oc's, it's like many consider them devil spawns or something. Also, any character, no matter how ridiculous, can still be good if written well. Just look at one piece, it's got ridiculously overpowered and funny looking characters, but it's done so well that they become well liked and unique individuals.

• Brohoof 1

The closest thing to an Alicorn character I had wasn't exactly one technically but was very similar. It also wasn't designed in the same way as those uninspired examples were. If one works hard, it isn't that hard to create an interesting character but I would still avoid Alicorns anyway. They should be rare for a reason and perhaps it's best to leave it with four.

Making an Alicorn Oc Show's indecision (In some cases) the person who made the oc can't decide what race he/she want's his/her oc to be. A pegasus can fly, yes, But a unicorn can use magic. Those two aspects seem rather "Cool" because it's something that us humans can't do (Without the help of technology) You could always make a group of different oc like me which each are different races, Like the mane 6.

Terrible Oc

full.png

Good Oc Group ( I know it's the mane six but i couldn't find a picture of a Oc Group but the fact still remains)

Choose a race or make a group with different races <---- T.T do it.

1.png

I don't mind Alicorns unless they have a terrible design/colour scheme or are incredibly OP. I have a few Alicorn OC's, purely because I love the concept of being able to fly and use magic. If I can't decide whether to make a pegasus or unicorn, I make an Earth pony.

My main OC(EmeraldStreak)is an Alicorn, but not OP.

post-19121-0-72752500-1390055837_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

attachicon.giffull.png

attachicon.gifNormal:Bad oc.jpg

The Normal-Bad thing. Is no. Some Alicorns r like that, but no. Not all. Thats no proof, its stereotype. 

I'm nervous to reply here since my oc is an alicorn but.... :blush:

Certain types of alicorns such as the ones that can destroy stuff, are immortal, god etc. are the ones i can't stand. :okiedokielokie:

The ones that basically own everything.

No, thats for lauren faust and the people who made alicorns

I'm a supporter which is a bit  bold on this thread but not a supporter of the god alicorns

A good alicorn oc would be a basic design and is talented at magic and not so good at flying -_-

(lol spellcheck  tried to correct alicorns to Cornwallis :lol: )

Or good at flying and not magic. 

I personally dislike alicorn OCs. They're never done right. I'm sure that it's possible to create a good alicorn OC, however I've never seen one. And don't get me started on the pegacorns and unisus OCs. Somehow I find them worse then alicorns OCs.

I think the main reason I dislike Alicorn OCs isn't bacause of the terrible colour schemes and backstories and powers and such...I mean, ANY species of OC can be done that way. The reason I dislike them so much is because it puts their OC above everyone else's, by way of social/historical importance, power level, etc. It's like entering a level-1 D&D campaign with a character who's already travelled the world and reached level 100.

Also, Alicorns are supposed to be incredibly rare. here are no "Born" Alicorns left besides the two Princesses, and to ascend to Alicornhood, you really need to deserve it.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I agree. Most Alicorn OC's either look like a freaking bat or the biggest mary sue. V is just an earth pony, I find there are a lack of earth pony OC's in the fandom...

I have never seen a decent Alicorn OC. Granted, I haven't looked or anything, but the ones I have seen, suck. There was one where it looks like a stupid RD clone and has the worst backstory I've ever heard. All it said was that it was RD's surer and like, cousin of Celestia's. No thought, no work, just terribleness. I do have an idea for a good one though.

• Brohoof 1

• 7 months later...

Well... I'm nervous about this. I think some Alicorn OCs are alright. My main OC is an alicorn, for stars sake. I don't like people who try and top the actual Alicorns from the show, I hate Cadence recolors and power remixes. That's not creativity. It's really just copying. Inspiration from a character is okay, but it's not okay to flat out copy the show. (Is it mean to say I think Cadence is Mary Sue? I hope not...  :sunny: ) And anyway.... where was I going with this? Oh yeah. I just thought I would say I agree with you whole heartedly. Never mind. Ignore me.