Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why i like and hate alicorn ocs

7th Boss

I don't mind alicorn OCs, usually. If I do find a not-so-great one, I usually just skip past it without a second thought.

I've thought about making an alicorn OC, just for fun (she definitely wouldn't be a main OC, but still). I want her to be super awkward and not know what her place in life is, and she'll always be like, "man, I am the WORST alicorn ever." :P

I feel about Alicorn OC's in the same way that I feel about all OC's in general: Indifferent. I personally couldn't care less about how someone makes their own characters, because it is all for fun. In my opinion, someone can make an OC however they please. Could be Super Awesome Mega Incredible Alicorn OC of Extreme Awesome that shoots muffin laser beams at all enemies and defeats them all instantly while also being incredible at video games and ice hockey, or they could just be really shy or emo or super happy or whatever. They can do whatever they want. 

• Brohoof 1

It just goes to show that when you have something unique, everyone is gonna jump on it and make it commonplace. Take heterochromia for example. It causes people to have two differently colored eyes and is an extremely rare mutation. So of course everyone and their mother decides to give their character it. With so many people wanting to make their character unique, it instead over-saturates into something stupidly common.

That's not to say alicorn OCs could be done right, it's just that they're too commonplace now and completely boring.

What's worse is someone who has an earth pony or pegasus OC who can do magic for no reason whatsoever (and fly if earth), is ridiculously overpowered and has a stupidly bright colour scheme... but the owner shouts "Serenity Moonflower is NOT a Sue cuz she's not an alicorn, she's an earth pony who can fly and do magic!"

Seriously, just make them an alicorn. They'd probably still be a bad OC, but at least they'd make a little bit of sense.

• Brohoof 1

I feel about Alicorn OC's in the same way that I feel about all OC's in general: Indifferent. I personally couldn't care less about how someone makes their own characters, because it is all for fun. In my opinion, someone can make an OC however they please. Could be Super Awesome Mega Incredible Alicorn OC of Extreme Awesome that shoots muffin laser beams at all enemies and defeats them all instantly while also being incredible at video games and ice hockey, or they could just be really shy or emo or super happy or whatever. They can do whatever they want. 

I feel exactly the same way as you, people do what they want, even more in Internet, and after all, OC's are creation of their author, if the author like it then, for me, it's a good OC, alicorn or not. They are a part of their creator because they are your creation, you put time, work and a part of yourself into them, there is, for me, absolutely no reason to hate an OC, even more because people feel like they are too much different of what their expecting of their OC's ( like overpowered or different look)

• 1 year later...

My main OC is an Alicorn. The reason: I like them.

True, Most alicorn ocs are terrible and they make me sick.

There are some alicorn ocs that are really good.  Making mines an alicorn is a risk because or the whole "GAH, MARY SUE" pointing, but more that what the species is. I believe that there can be good alicorn ocs if they have a proper backstory, a good NORMAL look and not cringe worthy, and if they have a reasonable purpose for being an alicorn. 

Also, there is also the fact that these people are new, or young members of the MLP, or any, fandom. They want to fit in and they believe doing so is to make them TOO likable to the point they are just terrible. It's good to help them fix their mistakes but also help them realize what they made. I did that once for a, now, very good friend of mines. Just help them and I bet the Mary Sues will go down. 

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Did I already post in this thread? I genuinely have no clue...

I don't actually use my OCs for anything, they're usually just designs, so I have a lot of Alicorn OCs just because I think they look pretty...but most Alicorn OCs that have actual biographies and personalities are admittedly a little off, to put it gently.

• 2 weeks later...

I don´t know... if there is reason for it to be alicorn that is story based than i am okay with that... but if it is just to be OP for no reason? than i don´t like it... i´ve seen many OP OC and most of them was alicorns... i personally have one OC that is OP and it´s alicorn. i don´t see any problem with beeing OP or alicorn as long as there is reason and as long as you know how to RP with it...

but it si just mine opinion and i would realy like to explain mine story... but it would take far to long...

all i can say is that it´s hard to design OP character and make it balanced and not cringe... (also this comment does have 666 lethers which is long)

Most of the time people like to do oc alicorns because alicorns are somewhat special and rare. But 90% of the time most alicorn ocs l see are not even royalty or even a special creature. I only have 2 alicorn ocs and there is a proper reason for them to be one because they're royalty. imo its weird for most people to make a random oc who is a plain pony that lives in a normal life to be an alicorn. Sorry for anyone who has an oc like that, l'm just being honest. I don't mind people for making those kinda oc characters, I just think it can be a little off. 

On 2014-01-10 at 9:21 AM, Rift enchanted said:

I get this situation. People like to make alicorn oc's so they think they have some power. Or so they look cooler. Well that's overs using the title of an alicorn. You should make just a unicorn or Pegasus. Cause they are more common in equestrian then the 4 princesses. Who will hopefully stay the only alicorns.

I know your post is old but l agree anyways.

• 1 year later...

Mine is an astronomer named, well, Stellar Heights! She's not a princess and she earned her wings by being good at astronomy, although Stellar believes that the reason she got her wings is because when she was a filly she wished on a star. :) 

Her colors are: 

Coat: black 

Eyes: Blue, almost a teal 

Mane: Blue and Purple  

she's also got fetlocks around her hooves that are purple and blue hooves... 

she lives in a completely  different universe from ANY of the generations and is the only alicorn amongst her friends (Unless I count Princess Thorn-Ace, which I don't because she's just a joke) :P 

Stellar Heights:

Stellar Heights.jpg

Edited by Stellar Heights
  • Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Stellar Heights said:

accurate and absolutely beautiful!! :) 

thank you so much for your wonderful drawing!

This makes me so happy I could die of cuteness! :D 

may I use this as my profile pic? 

heh, you’re welcome! she was so fun to draw :love:

and absolutely you can use it as your profile pic! i’m so glad you like it

Edited by Kn0xDaF0x

I decided to try a new artstyle, and it's certainly better than my old stuffed toy looking artstyle, I tried making the wings a little more realistic and fixing the leg shapes too. 

so without further ado, Stellar Heights in my new artstyle! 

Stellar Heights 2.0 .jpg