Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

LGBTQQIAAP... is the acronym getting a little ridiculous?

Clover Heart

Should the LGBTQIA acronym be done away with?  

63 users have voted

1. 1. Should the LGBTQIA acronym be done away with?

• Yes, we can come up with something better.
    • Yes, the length is getting a little ridiculous.
    • Yes, just call it "the gay community" and be done with it.
    • No, this way, everyone can be included.
    • It should just be left at LGBT.
    • No, it would be impossible to please everyone, so let's just go with what we have.
    • QIA? I thought it was just LGBT.
    • Q? A? P? What are those letters for?
    • What's LGBT?
    • I like tacos.

Since when has anything beyond 'LGBT' become the mainstream acronym?

Either way, I don't really care. I fall under the 'B', but I don't use it as a label. I use it as a description. So when I see that someone is apart of the 'LGBT community', I see it as a description. In terms of the whole 'group' aspect of it, I don't care. It makes sense. People like to band together, I think that is in our nature, this is no different. I think the other main motivation though is the fact that many people still shun these sexualities. Form a group-mind makes people feel stronger. Sure, it isn't always the best thing to do but in this case it makes a lot of sense, hence the terms.

One day, their acronym will look like a cheat code for Animal Crossing

LGBTQIAP&pARa@/

tBmm$@WB2Yccpx%

Tom Nook

Oh, your package from %Hyrule Castle% has arrived. Please take your gift. Thank you.

;)

• Brohoof 1

1: All? Let that sink in for a minute

2: So heteros are part of the LGBT community too?

1st "A" is asexual and 2nd "A" is Ally, a cisgender heterosexual who supports equality for all gender identities and sexual orientations.

Yes, ALL. In what way is that negative?

Edited by Appetite4Democracy

1st "A" is asexual and 2nd "A" is Ally, a cisgender heterosexual who supports equality for all gender identities and sexual orientations.

Yes, ALL. In what way is that negative?

Well, if all sexualities are part of the LGTB, then what exactly is the point of forming a group? That would be like making the WEA, WExist Alliance.

Well, if all sexualities are part of the LGTB, then what exactly is the point of forming a group? That would be like making the WEA, WExist Alliance.

The point is that it is a group of people who support equality for all gender identities and sexual orientations. Notice that it includes ALLIES. It only excludes bigoted pricks. 

Referring to it as "sexual and gender minorities" is a better idea. It's short and includes everyone.

As I stated in an earlier post, the term "Gender and Sexual Minorities" has been used to try to justify pedophilia, beastiality, and incest. I'm thinking something that used the phrase "Sexual Orientation" since it excludes beastiality and the like but includes all the letters in the current initialism.

I would also prefer it to have something about allies, like the current one does. It's important to emphasize that the group is meant to be a community of people accepting of all gender identities and sexual orientations, not a "no cishets allowed" club.

Edited by Appetite4Democracy

The point is that it is a group of people who support equality for all gender identities and sexual orientations. Notice that it includes ALLIES. It only excludes bigoted pricks. 

As I stated in an earlier post, the term "Gender and Sexual Minorities" has been used to try to justify pedophilia, beastiality, and incest. I'm thinking something that used the phrase "Sexual Orientation" since it excludes beastiality and the like but includes all the letters in the current initialism.

I would also prefer it to have something about allies, like the current one does. It's important to emphasize that the group is meant to be a community of people accepting of all gender identities and sexual orientations, not a "no cishets allowed" club.

Alright then, thanks for clarifying things.

LGBT persons across the world are being harassed, bullied, attacked, murdered, and imprisoned for something they cannot control. Even in the most advanced western countries do anti-LGBT attitudes prevail. And in your comfortable castle on a hill, you care about the signs they carry.

Such a distracting non-issue.

LGBT persons across the world are being harassed, bullied, attacked, murdered, and imprisoned for something they cannot control. Even in the most advanced western countries do anti-LGBT attitudes prevail. And in your comfortable castle on a hill, you care about the signs they carry.

Such a distracting non-issue.

Doesn't mean we're making a HUGE issue out of the matter. Are we not allowed to discus minutiae?

• 3 weeks later...

That acronym is just ridiculous now! Look, I'm fine with LGBT. (The acronym, not the community, because I personally believe the LGBT community is a harmful thing that removes emphasis on your individual personality and instead overemphasizes sexuality/gender/whatever-the-heck-they're-including-now, but that's not the point.) Anything longer just gets ridiculous! I think LGBT covers enough, and if you try to be "all-inclusive", you're just going to have a horribly long string of letters that still won't include everyone/everything/whatever some people identify as now, and some will still get angry. There's no point in expanding the acronym.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think anyone actually uses LGBGQQIAAP at all. At least seriously. LGBT is good enough and no one should feel excluded because their letter isn't in the acronym.

I voted for tacos. Nothing beats tacos.