Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bronycon-voy 2014

Stick Shift

img-2184497-1-abnwb9.jpg

Are you going to Bronycon? Great!

Are you driving there? Then join the Bronycon(voy) on your way there!

Join your fellow Bronies as we travel across the country to the convention this August

EDIT(7/12/14): I added the finalized route and time schedule to the main post at the bottom and removed some of the original text as it was outdated.

Here is the revised route that I will be taking, if you want to convoy along lets see if we can plan something!

EDIT(6/18/14): My car is full for the trip but if you want to convoy along with your car we can make the great convoy to the East!

2iij0aq.png

Here is a link to fill out a forum if you need a ride or have room to give one: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Stv08PZ4P2VM7iP1TZ5J284DpbIIpDXwh9A2P72mp7s/viewform

Home (Appleton): 9:00pm (Leave Time)

Drive Time: 4h

Chicago: 1:30am (Leave Time)

Drive Time: 3h 45m (Time zone change: 1h added)

Indianapolis: 5:30am (Leave Time)

Drive Time: 2h 30m

Columbus: 8:45am (Leave Time)

Drive Time: 3h 30m

Greensburg, PA: 12:30pm (Leave Time)

Drive Time: 3h 30m

Baltimore: 4:00pm arrive at hotel

P.S. I have access to a lot of walkie talkies that we could use for cross car communication if that’s something you would think would be cool. 

P.P.S. I don't own or claim any rights to Bronycon or any images used in the logo I threw together.

Thanks for reading and I'll see ya on the road!

LINK (To my thread on Bronycon's forum)

Edited by Commander_Shepony
  • Brohoof 6

Ridesharing is very common for geek conventions of all sorts and it's a great way to network, save money, and have fun all in one go! I'll be flying to BronyCon this year, like the last, but I did ride share from Detroit for BC '12. For those who aren't along this particular route, others can be planned or if that fails, there's a section on BronyCon's official forums dedicated for this purpose. Likewise with sharing rooms!

I think the idea of getting MLPforums users in particular together to be more than an awesome idea. Hope many intend to go this year! If the BronyCon thread is of an indication, it's gonna be huge! Looking forward to the meetup! :P

Edited by K.K. Slider
  • Brohoof 1

Sounds like a great idea! I plan on going to bronycon this year (my first one) but kinda don't want to go alone. I don't know if there are any bronies near me thou. I like in buffalo ny and new to the whole fandom so I'm not sure.

If I have a job and the bills caught Up this sounds like a hoot if anyone passes by western NY on the way down.

But first thing first.. I need a job :(

I SOOOOOO wanna go.. I've never been to any real convention besides tractor and air shows... Bronycon sounds like fun though...

There is no way I would take my new car for a road trip like that. It's too much wear and tear, and I just don't want to subject my vehicle to that. Especially since I've only had it for about 3 weeks.

Not a bad idea, though. It could really help people get there, and other licensed drivers could also take turns driving (sketchy though it may sound, I have never met anyone who wanted to drive for ten hours).

It'd be neat if this actually ended up working out. Although I will say... be careful of who you trust. Just because this is a brony site doesn't mean someone can't be crazy.

There is no way I would take my new car for a road trip like that.

TBH this is why, for a trip like this, you get a rental and have everyone in it help pay for fuel, and put into the cost otherwise.

It saves everyone, and no ones vehicle really gets hurt in the process. 

We used to do it all the time when I was in the military and we went on detachment to various places. The command wouldn't provide transportation most of the time. So we took it upon ourselves to do so.

But like you said, at that point it becomes a matter of who can be trusted. But trusting no one will get you nowhere also.

Edited by GrimCW

I want to go so bad, I didnt get to go last year because I couldnt get any time off from work. If im able to get moved out into my own place before july, Im gonna put in for time off in august in order to go, I dont know how I will get there seeing as how I dont drive, i guess flying or taking a bus would be my only option. its to early for me to try and arrange to hitch a ride with someone traveling through ohio near the hamilton/cincinnati area seeing as how I dont even know if i can attend.

TBH this is why, for a trip like this, you get a rental and have everyone in it help pay for fuel, and put into the cost otherwise. It saves everyone, and no ones vehicle really gets hurt in the process.

Sadly, I'm only 22. In the US, no one will rent a car to you until you're at least 25.

And I'm not saying "trust no one," but I'm just reminding you guys to be careful. People could browse the internet specifically for things like this, and then try to establish themselves as eager con-goers, then kill or do other things to you. It's always a good idea to be sure you know for certain with whom you're speaking.

In the US, no one will rent a car to you until you're at least 25.

Yeah.. stupid insurance requirements :/

Ponies could browse the internet specifically for things like this, and then try to establish themselves as eager con-goers, then kill or do other things to you. It's always a good idea to be sure you know for certain with whom you're speaking.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Having that outlook is terrible. And its that mind warping thing that has rotted society away rather horribly over the past 20 years IMO. Its not nearly as common as the mass media makes it out to be. They do that crap to gain ratings and earn cash.

Truth be told, the stats show you're far more likely to have such issues with people you know (usually family/friends/coworkers/roommates/etc....), vs people you don't.

Benefit of the doubt is good to go on, but it is true to always have an open mind toward any possibility regardless.

Edit: haaaa.... my ponify extension is showing again...

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 1

I want to go so bad, I didnt get to go last year because I couldnt get any time off from work. If im able to get moved out into my own place before july, Im gonna put in for time off in august in order to go, I dont know how I will get there seeing as how I dont drive, i guess flying or taking a bus would be my only option. its to early for me to try and arrange to hitch a ride with someone traveling through ohio near the hamilton/cincinnati area seeing as how I dont even know if i can attend.

Well if you are along the way you could always hitch a ride, if that si something you would be interested in.

Sadly, I'm only 22. In the US, no one will rent a car to you until you're at least 25.

And I'm not saying "trust no one," but I'm just reminding you guys to be careful. People could browse the internet specifically for things like this, and then try to establish themselves as eager con-goers, then kill or do other things to you. It's always a good idea to be sure you know for certain with whom you're speaking.

You can rent a car under 25, they just have extra surcharges. Here are some facts

Now that looks like fun and an interesting concept to go to BronyCon.

If it is possible, then I'm in. It could be a real time-saver and helps with the money.

That sounds great, and it would be a time/money saver (While being fun at the same time  :lol: )

I'd consider gathering my team and riding with you guys if this actually went through and happened more than once. Though I'd only go if I had a rental.

I hope I can drum enough people to get this going, that's why I started on it now, I want to get the word out. 

• Brohoof 2

I dont know how I will get there seeing as how I dont drive, i guess flying or taking a bus would be my only option. its to early for me to try and arrange to hitch a ride with someone traveling through ohio near the hamilton/cincinnati area seeing as how I dont even know if i can attend.

Rideshares pop up all the time as the con draws closer and closer. TONS of bronies from Chicago and Michigan pass through Ohio, you won't have a problem finding a rideshare.

You could also try using Megabus, they are stupidly cheap.

This is...extremely unlikely. And I don't recommend fearing things strictly because of the insanely slight possiblity of something that hasn't even ever been reported on in brony rideshares, lol. Relax dude.

Edited by K.K. Slider
  • Brohoof 1

I'd love to be a part of this, but sadly, I drive a two seater, and the passenger seat's spoken for :(

That said, I'd still be happy to drive with you guys! :D

If you can keep up with me, that is :P

• Brohoof 1

Well if you are along the way you could always hitch a ride, if that si something you would be interested in.

You can rent a car under 25, they just have extra surcharges. Here are some facts

Rideshares pop up all the time as the con draws closer and closer. TONS of bronies from Chicago and Michigan pass through Ohio, you won't have a problem finding a rideshare.

You could also try using Megabus, they are stupidly cheap.

Awesome, I guess the only thing now is to try and get vacation time or save up some sick time from work. They dont like giving vacations after july due to preperations for the holidays. But I may be able to abuse call offs for a week (I rarely call off anyway lol)

• Brohoof 1

Now I feel sad not living in the US. I think this is a very good idea and I could just imagine how much fun it would be.

I plan on recording the whole thing and creating some sort of montage of the trip. So worst case you can at least see what it was like :squee:  

I planned out a route on Google maps and there are 2 different ways to get there. If any of you are closer to one or the other, that could determine which path to take.

I am in the process of trying to secure the family conversion van for the trip, if I do there would be 5 open seats if anyone need a ride there (I think there would be enough room for ever ones luggage).

I'd love to be a part of this, but sadly, I drive a two seater, and the passenger seat's spoken for :(

That said, I'd still be happy to drive with you guys! :D

If you can keep up with me, that is :P

That would be great, that's the fun of a convoy. If we can't keep up with you will just make you the lead dog of the convoy  :lol:

I know not everyone will be at the same hotel, I'll be at the Hyatt, but we can stay grouped up till we get that close. i think i see enough interest in this to go ahead and start the planning stage. Now where can I find some CB radios.....

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

Alright, it’s been awhile since I posted any sort of update but I wanted to wait till I had some stuff of value to post. I created a Google Forum that has a few questions to help get the process of organizing this whole trip planned. Once I start getting people signed up and get a feel for how many will be coming I can start connecting people looking for rides with those willing to give rides. Another thing I was planning was some sort of cross-car communication, probably walkie talkies, and once I get some final numbers I can see how many we will need.

I have 5 spots open in my vehicle, a newer high-top conversion van, not including me. So far no one has claimed a spot so all 5 spots are open. I am willing to pick up anyone along the route listed above or near it.

I will be updating this thread as more information comes available. If you have any input, questions, or comments feel free to post them on this thread or email me at sheponyN7@gmail.com. I look forward to having an awesome trip with everyone!

Fill out the forum below:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Stv08PZ4P2VM7iP1TZ5J284DpbIIpDXwh9A2P72mp7s/viewform

P.S. If you think there is a question that is needed or should be removed let me know, thanks!    

Edited by Commander_Shepony

-Extreme emotion- One day, I will have a car and one day I will carpool with you guys to Bronycon. One of these days... I live in Ohio myself, right near the heart. Northeast OH. I truly wish I could go with you guys this year, but I'm only fifteen and I'm pretty sure my parents wouldn't let me go all the way to Baltimare with people they've never met. :okiedokielokie:  

I'll definitely find a way to be going this year. And coincidentally, the only issue is transport. Parents took us last year, and they don't want to go through that hassle again (even though it was their fault we took a wrong turn and added 6 hours to the trip!). I might be riding with friends this go around and I'll pass on word of the convoy to them, although if they can't commit or none of us can find a suitable car for the trip, we might just ride share with you guys after all. I dunno, we'll see as Bronycon draws closer. 

I'll definitely find a way to be going this year. And coincidentally, the only issue is transport. Parents took us last year, and they don't want to go through that hassle again (even though it was their fault we took a wrong turn and added 6 hours to the trip!). I might be riding with friends this go around and I'll pass on word of the convoy to them, although if they can't commit or none of us can find a suitable car for the trip, we might just ride share with you guys after all. I dunno, we'll see as Bronycon draws closer. 

Sounds great! Will be looking forward to here what happens.