S04:E09 - Pinkie Apple Pie  

338 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Very good episode, things I noticed:

1. Rules do not apply to Pinkie (I.E.: That tail at the end.)

It took you this long to figure that out?  ^_^

• Brohoof 1

Let's summarize. 

Epic song.  Eeyup.

Cart collapses.  Eeyup.

Scary tunnel.  Eeyup. 

Raft sinks.  Eeyup. 

Family bickering.  Eeyup.

Big Mac tries to speak a full sentence but gets interrupted. Eeyup. 

Golden Delicious is a cat hoarder.  Eeyup.

Pinkie pins down AJ in a veritable shipping scene near the end.  EEYUP!!!  :wub:

Another death defying fall where nopony sustains a significant injury?  OK...  :huh:   I was expecting the parachute that was seemingly foreshadowed to break their fall.  Or maybe Pinkie's presence somehow slowing their descent.  Whatever.  The only cliffhanger this time was whether or not Pinkie is blood related.  But it doesn't really matter.  She's been very close with the Apples for a long time now regardless.  :)

• Brohoof 5

Well she already had one but now she has two.

Anyway, this is two great episodes in a row this season, I hope they keep it up :D

That was a family environment where she never got to appreciate those family values. It was more like systematic work on that rock farm. Her epiphany at the end of this episode about family got her so excited, and I think that reflects on the fact that being part of a family is completely new to her. To see her finally feel like that was just beautiful.

I can't complain about this episode.  I just can't.

It's sad to say that the Generosity song from last week could only remain my favorite song of the season for a single week, but this new one easily beats it out.  And the humor; holy crap the humor was just spot on throughout the entire thing!  (I loved the eagle gag, and cat made out of dust.)  Not to mention, I enjoyed the morals and the way that they built up to them.  Overall, I'd say that this was yet another excellent addition to season 4!

• Brohoof 4

Ugh...

That episode... wasn't great. :huh:

Don't get me wrong, I really, really thought I was going to love this episode, but I didn't. I daresay it just flat-out blew- between the forced-feeling dialouge, Pinkie being more annoying than funny, a not-great new character, and the overly-used, boring trope of a reveal of their relations(oh, we don't know, but we know because this reason blah blah), this episode was just really bad to me in parts. Sure, there were a few good moments- the song was good but could've sounded better, the things with the animals in the river were great, and Pinkie's scrapbook gag was pretty funny- but it was not enough to make me like the episode as a whole.

Overall, Pinkie Apple Pie is the first weak link of this season imo, sorry to say. Not extremely terrible, but this new writer sure as hell needs more practice, because her first episode just wasn't much good sorry to say. Can't think of much more to say about it, in the risk of popping a blood vessel. :okiedokielokie:

5/10

(I loved the eagle gag, and cat made out of dust.)

Oh yeah, another thing - fan references! They were spot on. That cat made out of dust? That must be a DustyKatt reference, right? And let's not forget Apple-licious.

• Brohoof 2

Maybe it's showing that she's actually growing through the show

It's more likely that the voice actor, Michelle Creber, has grown older. She's 14 now as opposed to being 11 when the show started.

• Brohoof 2

Although, it may not - and probably will not - ever be explored again.

Knowing the writers of this show?

PFFFT! It's gonna come up!

It was an enjoyable episode. Did anyone notice that Applebloom's voice changed? It sounded like she grew older or something.

Maybe it's showing that she's actually growing through the show

Or maybe it's not intentional at all and just that Michelle Creber is getting older and, ergo, her voice is naturally getting deeper.  Puberty does that.  ^_^   But seriously, wouldn't be surprised if that's just the case, though maybe they're adjusting stuff within the story as well to fit Michelle's maturing voice, who knows?  :)

• Brohoof 3

That cat made out of dust? That must be a DustyKatt reference, right?

I didn't think of it that way but now that you mention it, it makes sense.  I mean, he is one of the most well-known bronies out there, so it's not exactly an obscure reference.

Catchy Apple family song? Check!

Learning from your mistakes? Check!

Learning about genealogy in Equestria? Check!

To be honest, I have nothing to complain about in this episode. The song is catchy, Pinkie Pie was entertaining as always with her comedy, and that just because your friend isn't family to you does not mean that they're not family in any way. The strong bond that friendship and family can have really shows that. Overall, a good episode for a new writer.

happy_pinkie_pie_by_audoubled-d5wk6mu.pn

• Brohoof 5

Now this is a great episode, it combines slice of life with an adventure story arc, also it's a road trip story as the Apple family and Pinkie Pie go on a journey of discovery, plus this the second episode in season four to not feature all of the mane six. Pinkie was hilarious, now this is a Pinkie Pie episode, I thought I was going to get a hernia from the laughter, but this story is also great because we see the Apples argue, we get some conflict from past episodes, however this is the first time we see a real quarrel. The Apples are a proud family, and their vanity could rival Rainbow Dash, for bronies like to point that out, each pony was trying to contribute to the point of stubborn boasting, yet in doing so the trip goes array. Although we don't get a clear answer whether the Pies and Apples are related, the journey did show just how distant yet unique each Apple family member is, we get to see their strengths and weakness, as the Apples were trying to keep their true feeling from Pinkie Pie and their situation, but to see how Pinkie Pie was the sinew of this road trip, was the cream topping in this amiable story. Applejack and Pinkie Pie were great together, they are as close as Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, "Apples to the core" was great, and just as colourful as "Babs Seed", I will be listening to this song for days, so "Pinkie Apple Pie" was a funny episode with plenty of heart, with a relatable story, most of us have been of family road trips like this then laugh about it afterwards, and for the ponies to let the audience in on the fun was equally good, tune in next week we get to see my favourite pony Rainbow Dash in "Rainbow Falls.

Edited by Emperor Peter
  • Brohoof 3

Now this is a great episode, it combines slice of life with an adventure story arc, also it's a road trip story as the Apple family and Pinkie Pie go on a journey of discovery, plus this the first episode in season four to not feature all of the mane six. Pinkie was hilarious, now this is a Pinkie Pie episode, I thought I was going to get a hernia from the laughter, but this story is also great because we see the Apples argue, we get some conflict from past episodes, however this is the first time we see a real quarrel. The Apples are a proud family, and their vanity could rival Rainbow Dash, for bronies like to point that out, each pony was trying to contribute to the point of stubborn boasting, yet in doing so the trip goes array. Although we don't get a clear answer whether the Pies and Apples are related, the journey did show just how distant yet unique each Apple family member is, we get to see their strengths and weakness, as the Apples were trying to keep their true feeling from Pinkie Pie and their situation,but to see how Pinkie Pie was the sinew of this road trip, was the cream topping in this amiable story. Applejack and Pinkie Pie were great together, they are as close as Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, "Apples to the core" was great, and just as colourful as "Babs Seed", I will be listening to this song for days, so "Pinkie Apple Pie" was a funny episode with plenty of heart, with a relatable story, most of us have been of family road trips like this then laugh about it afterwards, and for the ponies to let the audience in on the fun was equally good, tune in next week we get to see my favourite pony Rainbow Dash in "Rainbow Falls.

Good review only this not the first episode this season to not feature all the mane six. Flight to the Finish didn't.

Princess Twilight Sparkle: 8/10

Castle Mane-ia: 9.8/10

Daring Don't: 9/10

Flight to the Finish: 3/10

Power Ponies 9.8/10

Bats!: 9.8/10

Rarity Takes Manehattan: 11/10 :wub:

That's how I've rated all of the episodes thus far this season.

You'll never guess what I'm giving this one.

Yup.

9.8/10

I don't think the song was as great as people are saying, but I liked it a lot; Generosity, from last week's episode, is head & shoulders above it, though; at least, in the opinion of a horribly subjective fan :wub:

I'll usually like an episode a little bit less when Rarity isn't in there, as well, but think of how I view the show like NFL Football.

Rarity would be my starting QB that led me to the Super Bowl, but Applejack is a damn good backup for when my starter is out that I can trust to get the job done, as she did here :D

I found the storyline amusing, and I'm glad that Pinkie was welcomed into the Apple Family even though the lineage is uncertain still; that was safe, but still effective. You didn't make them family, but you didn't deny them family either. I don't have a problem with safety, though. It makes me feel...erm, safe! :D

Pinkie's constant smiling throughout the face of danger and stress reminded me of why I love her so much and reminded me of why I feel like such an asshole when I make a mane 6 list and she ends up at the back; she didn't get the much needed development I was so sure she was going to get, unfortunately, as this season's been flanderizing her really badly, but it worked here.

The Apple Family, of course, kicked ass (like we Southerners always do :D) and there were many humorous moments in this episode that added to the viewing pleasure! :D The humor in this show will generally fall flat on its face for me, but when you got Granny Smith shushing Big Mac when he's about to say something past "Eeyup." and "Nope," or a duck wearing a steering wheel getting carried away by an eagle (The duck reappeared at the Waterfall scene, steering wheel and all; I wonder if anyone else saw that :huh: )...

...but the Crowning moment was when Big Mac was wearing floaties and everyone else had lifejackets.

full.png

That just killed me :D

Anyway, even though there were just a couple of minor flaws in this episode, I really enjoyed getting to watch it, and AJ is always good for me and my extremely subjective opinions when Rarity isn't around :D

Overall, 9.8/10, and seriously helped prove S4's case as the best season yet! I'll see how it goes up until the last second before giving it the "ghost's favorite season" world championship belt, but, I gotta say, if this kind of high-quality episodes keep being belted out, there will hardly any second thought for bestowing S4 with that honor ;)

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 8

I guess here is how I liked the episodes this season so far:

Princess Twilight Sparkle
Flight to the Finish
Rarity Takes Manehattan
Pinkie Apple Pie
Castle Mane-ia
Bats!
Power Ponies
Daring Don't

This has just been a really strong season, I didn't dislike any episode. The only one which felt kind of meh to me was Daring Don't.

• Brohoof 1