Yellow Diamond

S04:E09 - Pinkie Apple Pie  

338 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

We already know that Pinkie's name isn't Pinkie Apple Pie because in the episode "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" where we learn about all the mane 6's cutie mark stories Pinkie's mother calls her Pinkomena Diane Pie. I don't want to hate on anyone that thinks that Applejack and Pinkie are related I'm just pointing something out. 

I don't think I've ever seen anyone claim that Pinkie's real name is Pinkie Apple Pie. 

It's just a whimsical episode title, not a contradictory claim to her name. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

THIS EPISODE WAS PERFEEEECT!! The dialogue, the humor, the plot, the everythingggg. This one and the Manehattan one are tied for my most favorite S4 episode so far (I'm watching em all in sequence to catch up  :yay: )

• 3 weeks later...

I must say I absolutely LOVE this episode! The song is amazing, even though Granny Smith probably should not sing :blush: .. lol. It is one of my favorite songs in the series though. The fact that these two characters could possibly be related is fascinating. They're great together.

• 2 weeks later...

Big Mac: Uh-Oh

Applejack: Don't tell me, we're about to go over a huge waterfall

Big Mac: Eeyup

Applejack: Sharp rocks at the bottom?

Big Mac: Most likely

Pinkie: ...Bring it on.......BOOOYYYAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Most funniest scenes are in this episode.  I love Pinkie's positive attitude, even when times were rough.  Its so infectious.  Applejack tried so hard to make her family seem perfect.  Does Big Mac have a crush on Pinkie?  He tried to make himself look so good that he didn't realize that he loaded the wagon heavier than he should. My favorite part was when Pinkie was taking their pictures down the waterfall.  Reminds me of those rollercoaster pictures you see at theme parks.  

Images were taken from mlp.wiki.com

post-36321-0-53352500-1448071596_thumb.png

post-36321-0-43875500-1448071608_thumb.png

• Brohoof 2

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Think this is about my fourth or fifth time through this one; increasingly loved it the last few times, but this time a bit less so. The song still sounds great, but it's not really about anything much more than "we're a close family," which is warm and charming but which the episode also makes half-ironic through just how much the Apple bicker. The verses don't add much to that either, although they're, again, warm and melodically pleasing. Gotta give mad props to the composition, though, with all its soaring melodies and its diverse instrumental. I do wonder how the Apples can pull the cart while they're dancing, though; seems like that takes skill. 

"Charming but insubstantial" describes this episode pretty well, actually. Its main moral - that what makes a family isn't a lack of fighting but the ability to weather through it - is nice, though not something that personally resonates with me, but the secondary moral, that whether or not Pinkie's part of the Apple family hardly matters, increasingly doesn't seem like something I ever needed proven. Then again, I've watched this several times, so maybe it's just that speaking, and the idea that shared experiences and close relationships define "family" more than lineage is something I do appreciate. 

The funniest moments of this are when it steps away from the family bickering, which this time around I found kinda tiresome. Everything Pinkie does ranges from charming to laugh-out-loud hilarious, and while the cold open contains one of the show's funniest images (Applejack's face when Pinkie hugs her), the best gag to me is when Pinkie silently reads the note to herself. She's eccentric, but, aside from her mad Jenga skills, she's mostly grounded in some form of reality, and her hyperactivity is easily linked to genuine emotion. Aside from her, the episode's at its funniest when it just gives into pure slapstick, like the scariest cave in Equestria or the waterfall. Unfortunately, it often comes back to the Apples fighting, which is just tedious, especially when I know where it's going. Maybe my lesser reaction here is just because the element of surprise is gone, but it's still fun.

Score:

Entertainment: 7/10

Characters: 8/10

Themes: 7/10

Story: 6/10

Overall: 70/100

• Hugs 1

• 1 year later...
(edited)

I liked this Episode, it was very entertaining and funny to watch^^ Just sad, that it wasnt revealed, if they are related or not, but i guess if they would have found out, they couldnt tell the Message very good.

The only Thing that annoys me, is that one gag, in which Big Mac says nothing but " Yeah " and " nope ". We saw him talk in the first Season, we saw him talk in the second Season and now he was to talk again in the fourth Season, so why did it became a joke that he apparently cant talk? I dont think its funny, it just makes me angry.

Edited by Luna Moon

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This was a fun episode. Pinkie and her scrapbooking was great.

Pinkie’s tail is truly something. I thought she stretched it out in the end. After seeing a comment here about it being detached, I took another look. You can’t see it when she’s with the group, and while it could just be behind her and the Apples, you do see it in the picture.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This episode is fine. There's nothing really wrong here, but there's nothing that interesting either. The jokes are better than usual, but they're too repetitive with most of them being about a member of the Apple Family doing something wrong and everyone trying to keep Pinkie from noticing their frustration. And Pinkie has her annoying voice in this episode which makes it slightly annoying. 

But, I like the moral here. Families argue, but that's natural. And I like that it's not really known whether Pinkie is or isn't related to the Apples. It makes the resolution more interesting and it works well with Pinkie being called an honorary member of the family since it allows the resolution to still be satisfying while also staying ambiguous.

Score: 6/10

• 3 months later...

An entertaining episode with a lot of nice characters moments and a catchy song as well. It came kinda out of nowhere, as far as I recall it was never hinted before that they were relatives so it was a bit of putting but the episode itself was fun for sure. 8.5\10

• 2 years later...

I quite loved this one, it shows the bondage a true family has and the adventures were fun. Goldie Delicious sure is a hoarder! I wish it was confirmed that Pinkie was part of the Apple family(and by extension the rest of her family too), but the lesson still stands. 

• Brohoof 3

I thought it was a cute episode. The jokes are really funny, I love Pinkie and Applejack's dynamic, and Goldie Delicious was a pretty fun character. There's one part in the episode that I didn't really care for was the song. The lyrics were decently memorable, but it was very repetitive and the beat wasn't as catchy as I hoped it would. While it not as obnoxious as Raise this Barn, but it was forgettable at best, in my opinion.

• Brohoof 2

Fun and cute episode which I really like. I think many people are sad that it has never been answered if these two families are related or not. For me it's not a big problem  because I share AJ's opinion on that it doesn't matter what a books says or not.

In my second watch I understood the Twilightliscious reference from AppleBloom :D

• Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, Astral Soul said:

In my second watch I understood the Twilightliscious reference from AppleBloom :D

Ooooh yeah. I remember that....:P

Not only that, there was a Slenderman reference in this episode, only for a split second.:blink:

Man, this show is so meta.:eager:

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...
(edited)
On 2019-01-24 at 4:01 AM, bigbertha said:

And Pinkie has her annoying voice in this episode which makes it slightly annoying. 

Yeah. I found her voice to be too loud in this episode but her behavior was a lot less annoying here so it wasn't too much of a turn-off.

Also, I find it adorable that in the epilogue, Cheese Sandwich and Lil Cheese already got to be part of the Apple Family.

Edited by Rosy Moonlight

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Funny and cute episode. The song in the episode gives heavy "Raise this barn" kind of vibes. Like my previous watch of the episode, I wish it was confirmed that there was some sort of family relation between them.