Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Favourite historical moment

Pinkie Dust

I think war related, would have to be World War II. I did enjoy learning about in school, because after all I do like learning about history in general at school so it's a very historical event.

The battle at Kosovo 1389! It marked the end of the Serbian Empire, 90% of the Serbian male population died and our Emperor Lazar died aswell. But it counts as a victory with a great price, we were still outnumbered 10 to 1, since muslims make loads of children xD There was only a couple of survivors, and since then only on that place grows a strange red flower.

Everything about World War II. I absolutely love that unit in Social Studies, I thought it would be boring but it is incredibly interesting.

• Brohoof 2

For me it is a tie between the Renaissance and the Enlightenment which is a spiritual sucessor to the Renaissance. Europe was under a centuries old stagnation that was finally breaking during the Reniassance which gave birth to great artists, philosophers, scientists and inventors. The Enlightenment built upon the ideas of the Renaissance and suggested that we get our rights not from some goverment or sovereign but by virtue of having natural rights simply by virtue or our humanity. These ideas eventually laid the foundation of the constitution, the bill of rights and a modern day republic.

My favorite? When humanity greeted the Atomic Age with the Manhattan Project. Now that was interesting stuff I tell you. Afterwards, nations just went wild with testing nuclear weaponry. Like the Tsar Bomba.

Shift, on 12 Jan 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

Everything about World War II. I absolutely love that unit in Social Studies, I thought it would be boring but it is incredibly interesting.

I agree. For some reason, I'm just obsessed with the World War 2 era. I find WW2 movies enjoyable, and I find the whole time period very interesting.

Favorite: The moon landing of Apollo 11... My dad and I have gone to splashdown fest every year on our local Aircraft Carrier (The Hornet, no less) and it was just a beautiful thing....

Single most badass moment in history: There was a train operator during the (horrible) Halifax Explosion who sent the following message, "Stop trains. Munitions ship on fire. Approaching Pier 6. Goodbye."

I'm most interested in the history of the Soviet Union as well as the development of the concept of Communism and how it actually worked in reality. I also had great interest on JFK and I'm gaining interest in modern China.

Though it's not history, I'm also very interested in reading about the possible future of the world; some predictions made are: USA maintaining its position as the world's superpower for at least almost the entirety of the 21st century, the collapse of Russia and China in the 2020s, the rise of Poland, Turkey and Japan in the 2030s or 2040s, a possible World War in the mid century (though it will be far less devastating than the previous two World Wars) involving the three countries previously mentioned, a conflict between USA and Mexico involving the large Mexican population in the southern states.

Edited by 115Predator

I'll have to say that I thought the Cold War was really interesting; since it had the tension of a war, but without much direct battle.

I completely forgot this I think this my favourite instead of pearl harbour

• Brohoof 1

Wars are inherently interesting. WWII gets all the “glory” as the most epic war of all time, but WWI was on a similar scale (within Europe). Poison gas clouded the landscape, and no-mans-land was more prominent. WWII was not as much of a stalemate, so factions had less opportunity to fortify.

I would like to learn about how humanity can solve problems peacefully too...