Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do You Know Any Phrases in Another Language That Are Pretty Much Useless?

Armin

I'm learning tons of languages, so of course I know useless sentences!  Well, it's more that I know how to build useless sentences.  I could say that I know how to say ''I'm a carrot'' in Norwegian (Jeg er un gulerod, put a bar on the o), just because I can.  In Italian, I can build small sentences, including completely useless ones, same in Spanish but I can do more complex ones.  

''Sono una carota''

''Soy una zanahoria''

Yup, just because I can B) .

Well, I study French, so I have these:

Une plaque d'immatriculation (a number/licence plate). Not that useless in everyday conversation, but I was originally taught this in the first unit of beginner French. Not only did it take me forever to pronounce it properly back then, but we basically never used it anywhere.

Un fessé (a spanking, not sure if spelt right). This was in a university vocab list. I shit you not (though, they probably meant it in a different context...)

''Unfessée'', it's feminine :)  It is used almost exclusively when talking about punishing young kids.  It is often used as such in expressions.  It's still weird that you would learn that as first vocabulary, though :\  Things like ''fromage'', ''chien'' or even ''fusée'' are used more often.

Tu c'est une poule moillet. 

I think that's how it's spelled....

You're a wet chicken in french. 

''Tu es une poule mouillée.'' would be the right way to spell it, actually ;)  It's an expression to say that someone is a scaredy cat.

• Brohoof 1

I know 

Est-ce que vous parlez angles?

or

Je ne parle pas francais

which means, respectively...

Do you speak english?

(which is useless because if you were speaking english to them and they didnt know what you were talking about then wahts the point)
and

I don't speak french

(Which might actually be usefull in certain situations)

K' NICE TO HELP

• Brohoof 1

Un fessé (a spanking, not sure if spelt right). This was in a university vocab list. I shit you not (though, they probably meant it in a different context...)

It's actually "une fessée", but you were pretty close. :P

I actually speak french; if anyone wanna know a traduction just ask me!

Edit: alot of french in the thread lol.

Edited by GhostPony750
  • Brohoof 3

It's actually "une fessée", but you were pretty close. :P

I actually speak french; if anyone wanna know a traduction just ask me!

Edit: alot of french in the thread lol.

how do you get the accent over the E? Je tentative parle francais...

• Brohoof 1

You need a french keyboard for this... I don't know how to do it on english keyboards. You can copy-paste it lol.

"Je tente de parler français." ;)

• Brohoof 2

You need a french keyboard for this... I don't know how to do it on english keyboards. You can copy-paste it lol.

"Je tente de parler français." ;)

Dat feel when first year french lol

also can someone link me to a place where someone can just ask general questions? I.E. Advice on how to draw oc's etc etc etc

can someone link me to a place where I can ask general questions... like how to draw a pony?

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, so I took (and suffered) Chinese class for two years.

The only things I could remember are numbers and this phrase:

"Ni hao ma! Wo jiao _____. Wo yao chi ni. Xie xie."

(Hello, how are you! My name is ____. I want to eat you. Thank you.)

^ Will totally come in handy one day.

I am pretty sure that 'My name is ____" is "Wo de mingzi shi ____."

• Brohoof 2

Due to extensive marathoning of Attack On Titan. I know the phrase "Die Flugel der Freiheit" = The Wings Of Freedom

well not really THAT useless, like, die and der (The and Of, can be kinda usefull) I dont think i would use it much really, but maybe... maybe?

• Brohoof 1

Had a Lithuanian friend in high school who taught everybody Lithuanian swear words, if that counts. Not really much use to me unless I get in a drunken argument with a Lithuanian. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

Just like he said, when you speak a roman language, your key board as keys to put those : é è ê ç â ë ô à û

I think that's pretty much all those there are in French.  If there's any others, you can be sure we don't use them often ;)

Oh, and I think there's an option to unlock them on your key board if you go into the options of your computer.  Our teacher showed it to us when we wrote in Spanish.

• Brohoof 1

You don't actually need a French keyboard. If your keyboard has a numpad on the right, then you can usually use accent keys. Basically, you hold down left alt and enter a four digit code on said numpad. For an example, left alt+0233 = é, left alt+0224 = à, etc. This website has a list of all of them: http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/bylanguage/french.html

You don't actually need a French keyboard. If your keyboard has a numpad on the right, then you can usually use accent keys. Basically, you hold down left alt and enter a four digit code on said numpad. For an example, left alt+0233 = é, left alt+0224 = à, etc. This website has a list of all of them: http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/bylanguage/french.html

Cupcakes 4 life 

Gâteaux pour la vie

In case you're interested, cupcake is 'cupcake' in French as far as I know. You'll occasionally find that some English/American words don't change - ketchup is another example.

Why must I always derp ;_; *eats muffin