Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Annoyed at "Love and Tolerate"?

Static Electricity

48 users have voted

1. 1. Do you support "Love and tolerate"?

• Yes
    • No

It's just commonly used to fight off trolls, I believe during the 4chan Brony/Anti-Brony fights. Personally, I find it to be really stupid and annoying, but that's just me. 

• Brohoof 1

If you really want to know some backstory of this there are a couple documentaries that explains most of the meaning behind it from memes to the famous catchphrase.

And of course the brony Cronicles

• Brohoof 1

The show does preach love and tolerance, though.

Look Before You Sleep - Don't let your personal differences get in the way of your friendships.

Bridle Gossip - Don't judge other people before you get to know them.

Feeling Pinkie Keen - Sometimes, your friends might believe in things that you don't, and that's okay.

Sisterhooves Social - Siblings may get on our nerves at times, but they're family, and we should love them anyway.

Hearth's Warming Eve - We should be united as friends, not let our groups or "tribes" separate and divide us.

A Friend in Deed - Some friends prefer to keep to themselves, and some are more extroverted, but it's important to respect those friends' preferences.

Pinkie Apple Pie - Family doesn't always get along, but it's important to stick together, love each other, and tolerate each other's differences.

The values of love and tolerance are all over this show, and - with or without a fictional cartoon about ponies - I do believe in love and tolerance as an ideal. Count my vote as a "yes."

I see the mantra not as a message to trolls, but as a message to fellow fans. We - MLP fans - should be loving and tolerant. We should be an accepting community and safe space for all types of fans, including and especially the target demographic of the show. When I see bronies espousing blatantly bigoted viewpoints (complaining about non-white humanizations, awful sexist jokes, etc.), it makes me wonder if they're even watching the same show that I am.

Edited by Dr. Mechano
  • Brohoof 6

Look Before You Sleep - Don't let your personal differences get in the way of your friendships.

Bridle Gossip - Don't judge other people before you get to know them.

Feeling Pinkie Keen - Sometimes, your friends might believe in things that you don't, and that's okay.

Sisterhooves Social - Siblings may get on our nerves at times, but they're family, and we should love them anyway.

Hearth's Warming Eve - We should be united as friends, not let our groups or "tribes" separate and divide us.

A Friend in Deed - Some friends prefer to keep to themselves, and some are more extroverted, but it's important to respect those friends' preferences.

Pinkie Apple Pie - Family doesn't always get along, but it's important to stick together, love each other, and tolerate each other's differences.

1: So if my friend turns out to be a neo-nazi, it shouldn't interfere with our friendship.

2: Never met Hitler... Never met Fred Phelps...

3: Valid point.

4: So if Stalin was my brother...

5: Valid to an extent, not all differences are reconcilable.

6: Valid point.

7: Go to disputes 1 and 4.

do believe in lover and tolerance as an ideal. Count my vote as a "yes."

I disagree, the phrase is too vague for us to infer when it is applicable and when it is not.

And we all know it is not always applicable.

Most bronies actually embrace the phrase to try loving and tolerating any person that they encounter, while others choose not to follow the phrase since you can't tolerate everything and everyone at times.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Most bronies actually embrace the phrase to try loving and tolerating any person that they encounter, while others choose not to follow the phrase since you can't tolerate everything and everyone at times.

Nobody follows the rule, really. It wouldn't work in every situation, and it sets no specifications as to when it is not applicable.

Edited by Static Electricity
  • Brohoof 2

When, how and why did this annoying little phrase become the fandom's unofficial catchphrase?

The show doesn't preach this message, so why is it there?

Also, am I the only one who finds it annoying?

It's a stupid "motto" and a plainly illogical directive to boot. Love and tolerance simply cannot and do not apply everywhere and if they did, they would lose value as it is only by the contrast of hate and intolerance that love and tolerance are seen as something special.

If some prick is on my case and harassing me, "love and tolerance" will not make him go away anymore than "telling a teacher" or "standing up to them" makes school bullies go away. It will take retaliation.

• Brohoof 2

1: So if my friend turns out to be a neo-nazi, it shouldn't interfere with our friendship.

2: Never met Hitler... Never met Fred Phelps...

3: Valid point.

4: So if Stalin was my brother...

5: Valid to an extent, not all differences are reconcilable.

6: Valid point.

7: Go to disputes 1 and 4.

By making this points you are assuming that everyone is like this, or everyone as a this situation, which you are exagerating.

"To love and tolerate" 

We when take it a part then it should be obvious what it means right? "Love" refers to a variety of different feelings, states, and attitudes that ranges from interpersonal affection, in the case of when this phrase was born in 4chan it was mainly meant that no matter what you said about me i still think of you as a human being, and i rather respect your opinion rather than fight.

Tolerate:

1. To allow without prohibiting or opposing; permit.
2. To recognize and respect (the rights, beliefs, or practices of others).
3. To put up with; endure. See Synonyms at bear1.

As you can see tolerating doesn't mean you should just accept what they said but at least recognized and respect anyone's opinion, and in the case of what happen in 4chan to endure the criticism that came when you call yourself a brony.

So as you said, if your friend is a neo-nazi, why did you become friends whit him in the first place? 

If you're brother was stalin? what are you gonna do? not be hes brother? there is nothing you can do about genetics, hes your brother whether you want to or not, do you agreed of what he does? no, but should you say hes not my brother? thats up to you, but whether you denied him or not he is still your brother, this is were tolerate comes in.

• Brohoof 1

I find it kind of pathetic, really. It's basically something some people paste when they have no argument and just want to make themselves seem like the good guy. 

Person A: Lel I don't like [pony].

Person B: WUT WTF?!!1

Person A: *offers various reasons*

Person B: OMG ur bein meaan, u shuld luv <3 and tolerate <333

so ur not true bronie!!1 *leaves room*

Of course, I'm not saying everyone acts like that, but among some of the more obnoxious bronies, this is what I see. They abuse the phrase and act all high and mighty about it.

• Brohoof 2

What the problem is is that people do not see the phrase correctly. Our community has set up the idea that anyone who follows the rule meets that expectation and is always kind and loving to everyone. That's what people see from that phrase. I've heard some say we've lost the true meaning of what it really is. I love and tolerate. Seriously. But I don't do it to everyone. It's true. You can't manage to love everyone. No matter how hard you try, your emotions just aren't 100% pure like that. Humans weren't built that way. So the meaning of love and tolerate is something I believe to be much more personal. As I said, I love and tolerate, but in my own way. I'm not trying to meet an expectation. I don't use it to tackle others. I simply help and care about most others. Everyone? No. I've been hurt real bad in the past. Why would I choose to then love and tolerate them anyway? No, I hate those people. They did bad things to me so I have a right to stay away from them. If something bad happens to them though? Yeah. I'll help them. I won't love or tolerate them, but I'll help, because that's what I do. That's just me though. The true meaning of love and tolerate comes from your own heart. It's not something that a fandom makes and then you're then expected to meet up to. That's just pushing it. Having an expectation everyone should follow? Highly illogical. In a way it's almost hurtful for those that do want to help because those that are so involved in the phrase feel that those that help others need to give more than what they have. It becomes a saying in which people suddenly expect more from each other. Demand even. The phrase is then meaningless, as others have said. So, I think our form of modern love and toleration is what's a little annoying. People need to learn what it really means. Then more people would respect it.

I'll sum it up. Love and toleration should come from your heart. What you do personally for other people. Not always tolerating, not always loving, but in whatever it is that you do for others that's loving and caring. That's what that phrase means. Not meeting a highly ridiculous expectation just because it's the fandom rule, but doing your own form of love and tolerance that makes the meaning of it special and good, and not a lie or habit just because other people do it. It's your personal gift you give to others when they need help. That's, at least how I see it, what love and tolerance really is.

Edited by FeIix
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)

By making this points you are assuming that everyone is like this, or everyone as a this situation, which you are exagerating.

No no, I think you misunderstood. I was trying to show how unreasonably some of these morals could be if applied to every situation.

the case of when this phrase was born in 4chan it was mainly meant that no matter what you said about me i still think of you as a human being, and i rather respect your opinion rather than fight.

Tolerate:

1. To allow without prohibiting or opposing; permit.
2. To recognize and respect (the rights, beliefs, or practices of others).
3. To put up with; endure. See Synonyms at bear1.

As you can see tolerating doesn't mean you should just accept what they said but at least recognized and respect anyone's opinion, and in the case of what happen in 4chan to endure the criticism that came when you call yourself a brony.

And this does not work, because nobody would tolerate a Nazi, or a white supremacist.

So as you said, if your friend is a neo-nazi, why did you become friends whit him in the first place?

The point I was refuting said that I "shouldn't let personal differences interfere with our friendship"

If you're brother was stalin? what are you gonna do? not be hes brother? there is nothing you can do about genetics, hes your brother whether you want to or not, do you agreed of what he does? no, but should you say hes not my brother? thats up to you, but whether you denied him or not he is still your brother, this is were tolerate comes in.

The point I was refuting said: 

they're family, and we should love them anyway

See the problem?

Edited by Static Electricity