Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will We Ever Meet Spike's Parents?

Denim&Venöm

I guess the dragon migration episode touched on this a little but do you think we'll ever get an episode about Spike finding his real parents or vice versa, or at least where he came form as an egg?

• Brohoof 2

Maybe we will, what's funny is all we know is that Spike was born from an egg but we don't know the origin of where he came from and where his parents are located. Ponies know next to nothing about dragons, except their migration patterns which is ironic because they have no information about dragons in their books.

The door is open for an opportunity that the writers can take by, telling us about Spike's origin of where he came from and his parents if possible.

I hope we do get to see his parents. I'm sure they are still pissed off that their egg was taken for a magic entrance exam lol.

I'd love to see all of the main characters families we haven't seen yet.

• Brohoof 1

I actually think Celestia was entrusted with that egg as Spike is the only dragon we have seen with Green Magic Fire Breath. No other dragon has that ability so maybe spike is a Magic Dragon which are usually depicted as being rare even amongst dragonkind.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 years later...

I hope so.  I think it would be an amazing story.  In fact, I think it's one of the biggest areas of story potential.  It would have to be a pretty heavy, serious story, though.  Don't you dare turn it into some throwaway crap where his parents roll into town with suitcases, sunglasses, and floppy sun hats, and explain that they were on vacation, and in the neighborhood, and thought they pop in.  Don't make it funny.  Make it real, or don't do it at all, that's what I say.

Spike's mysterious origin is what makes him interesting.

Maybe it's best to leave that up to the fans.

Hmm, that's a fair point.  Doing this story would have potential to ruin the mystique, if done poorly.  But if done well, I think it could be incredible.

Most likely not, seeing as the ponies had the egg and his parents most likely don't know that egg hatched. So I don't see them looking for him.

Possible.  Maybe his parents believe he's dead.  Now, me and my pathological ponification of everything in the world, I've always imagined a Man of Steel crossover where it turns out that Spike's parents are long dead, but the dragons of his civilization have been searching for him his entire life.  He'd meet a magical apparition of his parents, perhaps imprinted on some artifact like the elements or something.  Then the dragons would arrive, threatening to destroy Equestria unless Spike surrenders and returns with them.  In fact, they should open the movie with Zod's tiral, but it's the dragons talking about Spike.  Lol, I'm sorry, I can't stop myself from doing these crossovers; it's a sickness.  :P

• Brohoof 1

It would be really unlikely for his parents to regognize or have any connection with him since he was a egg when he was separated. And we have gotten most out of Spike's conflict with dragons vs ponies anyway.

But I would like to know where Spike's egg from and a backstory episode with that. I would love if Spike's egg was actually thousands of years old or something and was hatched only by magic (kind of like the stony dragon eggs in Game of Thrones) and we would see how Celestia aquired it.

On 10/25/2016 at 0:05 AM, Justin_Case001 said:

It would have to be a pretty heavy, serious story, though.  Don't you dare turn it into some throwaway crap where his parents roll into town with suitcases, sunglasses, and floppy sun hats, and explain that they were on vacation, and in the neighborhood, and thought they pop in.  Don't make it funny.  Make it real, or don't do it at all, that's what I say.

:brohoof::brohoof::brohoof::brohoof::brohoof::brohoof::brohoof::brohoof::brohoof::brohoof::brohoof::brohoof:

This is what I most want to see before the series ends - closure for Spike's origin. While it's true it might make him less mysterious, is he really portrayed all that mysterious, anyway? He's usually there as the comic relief despite him getting some really good serious moments this season. Even when he's the voice of reason, there's usually a comedy beat after he points out what should be obvious to the other ponies.

However, I'm not all that hopeful it will happen because there aren't many marketing-friendly outcomes of him finding out why he's with ponies and not with the dragons. I posted these scenarios elsewhere and so here they are again:

1. His parents are both dead and he's an orphan. Too depressing for Hasbro since we see how they are willing to write themselves into knots to avoid showing AJ's parents. (or not! o_o)
  2. His egg was stolen by somepony and somehow ended up with Celestia, which means his parents may have been looking for him all this time. Makes Celestia and ponies in general appear as evil kidnappers and Hasbro won't do that.
  3. His parents abandoned his egg because they knew he was going to end up a wingless runt and somepony found it and brought it back. Could happen, but still pretty depressing.
  4. His dad was evil and enchanted his egg to eventually turn him into a kind of "world-eater" dragon so his mom secretly birthed his egg and gave it to Celestia to keep it away from the father. A couple of readers thought this idea was interesting, but it makes the show fall back into the S1 and S2 habit of "male bashing" and I'm not sure I'd want to see that again myself, unless the point was to redeem his dad because he felt he was wronged by ponies in the distant past.
  5. Garble is actually his brother and he hatched first and kicked Spike's egg out of the nest before it hatched and was later found by ponies. An interesting premise, but also has lots of credibility issues with it.

So those are some possibilities, but tackling any one of them might be too much like walking through a minefield of negative reactions.

Finally, I don't like the fan idea that Spike's egg was fake and Twilight somehow brought it to life. Makes Twilight too OP since she somehow managed to create life on her own as a foal. No thanks! =)

Edited by Truffles
  • Brohoof 1

It would be kind of interesting to find out where Celestia found the egg, but I suspect we never will. Spike seems pretty happy with who he is and where he is, and has gotten all of his "Who am I?" questions out and dealt with.

I suppose it is possible something will come out of it one day or another, but somehow I just imagine the comic tackling it over the cartoon.

Spike and his parents, that would be series finale or even movie material platinum.

The fans would be :( when Spike chooses to leave Twilight and his friends to live with his parents.

Spike and his parents, that would be series finale or even movie material platinum.

The fans would be :( when Spike chooses to leave Twilight and his friends to live with his parents.

That's not gonna happen! ;) He isn't gonna leave Twilight's side! Maybe temporarily, but it won't be permanent! 

What do you mean? We already have seen his parent (or someone close to it)
spike_and_twilight_by_wolf_paws24-d4io27
One doesn't become a parent just because they are the sperm donor or gave birth to them. Parenting takes love and commitment. Twilight hatched Spike, and has always been there for him. So, she is his mother.

• Brohoof 1

It would be really unlikely for his parents to regognize or have any connection with him since he was a egg when he was separated. And we have gotten most out of Spike's conflict with dragons vs ponies anyway.

But I would like to know where Spike's egg from and a backstory episode with that. I would love if Spike's egg was actually thousands of years old or something and was hatched only by magic (kind of like the stony dragon eggs in Game of Thrones) and we would see how Celestia aquired it.

My headcannon runs in the same lines as that. I think the 'test' Twilight was going through to hatch the egg wasn't actually intended to have the egg hatch. If it was, we'd have a lot more baby dragons or equivalents around as all the other students for that school would have had to have done something similar. The egg was an inert object that had probably been used for that purpose for years, if not centuries, and the test was to see how Twilight (and the other applicants) approached the problem, not whether they solved the problem. It tells the interviewers a lot about the candidate. How do they handle stress? Can they think laterally? Do they try once and give up, or do they try different techniques? Do they *know* more than one technique already, or are they willing to experiment? 

That used to be the standard kind of tests that various tech companies threw around during job application interviews. Give the applicant a nonsensical problem and see what they did with it. Since dealing with nonsensical problems handed to them by the marketing department was pretty much what engineers did for a living, it was a reasonable interview method.

• Brohoof 1

I personally wouldn't mind finding out a little more as to where Spike came from. Though I do agree his mysterious parentage adds to his personality. I'm assuming that dragon eggs are really rare. So far all the dragons we have seen in the shows have been adults and teenagers. Spike is still considered a baby dragon. The chances of his parents looking for Spike are pretty slim do to the independent nature of most dragons.

• 6 months later...

maybe just mother or father since my taught is that spike is half dragon half reptilan alien meaning his mother or father is in another planet becouse he can breath fire like dragon and dont have wings like reptilian alien

(edited)

My head canon (what I'm wishing would happen in the show): Spike's parents gave him to Celestia a long time ago, hoping that being raised by ponies would make him the bridge between ponies and dragons!

My head fanon (what would I do if I writing the story in fan works, for better or worse): Same as above, although the spirits of the parents live on through two certain ponies.

Maybe someday, I'll get around to writing that!

Edited by WiiGuy2014

Well Hasbro/DHX surprised me here.

Since this season 7 is focusing on family and parents in particular, it would be a nice gesture if they had an episode later in the season that revealed where his egg came from. If it's true that there might be a flashback for AJ parents, I don't see why we couldn't have a flashback where his parents deliver his egg to Celestia and we learn about the kind of dragons they were.