Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sholem Itzhak

Well, it’s almost that time of the year again, the time for America’s yearly sporting event, the “Super Bowl.”

Yes, it’s the “Super Bowl”; where thousands gather in front of the average TV in the average suburban living room to take part in an annual mass congregation of snack foods, soda, beer guzzling (not in every household), and watching a sport where oversized, puffed out, umm… men ram into each other like Army men at war to stop the other team from winning and to collect from corporate sponsors. It’s as if a large mass of the American public is reduced to spectators of Ancient Rome watching Gladiators make mincemeat of each other in the coliseum, or perhaps spectators of the middle ages watching Knights charge at each other in a joust to prove who’s worthy to be King in the silliest ways. Oh yes, and don’t forget about our nation’s National Anthem being sung by overrated pop culture artists (not saying there’s anything wrong with it, just feels silly), and the halftime show centered around overrated popular music instead of something unique and fresh. And when it’s finally over, people are rest assured that Football is America’s greatest past time (pfft, that ’ill be the day).

Now personally, I don’t watch the Super Bowl (and I don’t’ think I’ll ever put any effort into doing so); but I’m perfectly ok with anyone who does. I personally just think the American Public can create a better annual televised sporting event with a much better culture. Perhaps the Bronies might be able to create something much better (but that’s not what we’ll be talking about in this thread).

Still, the Super Bowl isn’t all overrated. Some of you might remember (and those who watched “Pirates of Silicon Valley” know) that it helped launch the Macintosh Computer in 1984 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtvjbmoDx-I; and we saw why 1984 wasn’t anything like “1984”), which by the way I would now recommend switching too with everything wrong about Windows 8; but this brings me to today’s subject:

Some of you might not know this, but more and more people are tuning into the Super Bowl nowadays strictly for the commercials and could care less about the tackling (http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2011/02/more_people_are_watching_the_s.html). Some commercials are overrated, immature, misleading and or stupid (like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctA-1XRXhTY), others are an explosion of creativity and art and still others gather images from all around TV and our otherwise everyday lives and bring them together for an exciting experience the whole family can enjoy (like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz9J5SViDXg, or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzEZ4cXFohQ). I’ve even seen Sesame Street appear in a super bowl ad; but now how about the Ponies?

I think everyone (even those like me who don’t go near the Super Bowl) would agree that the Ponies should have a spot in the Super Bowl commercials. If no one has started, I would suggest someone start a KickStarter campaign to fund the production and broadcast of a commercial featuring “The most interesting Ponies in the world”. Or perhaps we could simply fund a showing of my favorite Pony commercial (which could also be appropriate to show at the Super Bowl, being a parody of a series of beer commercials), the one the ends “Stay Pony My Friends” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oOeT6J5XIo).

Who knows, if it happens, I’ll watch part of the Super Bowl specifically to watch the MLP commercial.

Perhaps you’d all like to get started and share some ideas on what a commercial featuring the Ponies would look like.

Edited by Sholem Itzhak

I'd be into this, It would give me a reason to watch the Superbowl I guess, cuz you know, football sucks!. I'll tell you, with all the bronies and pegasisters on the interwebs, the amount of funding a project like this would get would probably we enough to fund production, and pay for a spot during the superbowel.  Neat idea, now all we need somepony who can produce such a quality advertisement. 

• Brohoof 1

Sadly the massive cost wouldn't be worth it. 

Let alone any tags that hasbro would have to put on it.. Knowing them they'd probably not take kindly to it, nor would the many rabid foozeball fans out there that think that their machoness is rated entirely on the amount of alcohol consumed and football stats they can recite for their favorite team.

While it'd be neat to see.. I just don't see a real purpose behind it either.

Well.. except if it were possible to see the look on peoples faces when that aired... OMFG.. that could be a whole reality show.. "peoples reactions to ads during a football game" with a 2 hour special on the super bowl! :P

Kind of like Creature comforts, but more specific in topic..

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Sadly the massive cost wouldn't be worth it. 

Let alone any tags that hasbro would have to put on it.. Knowing them they'd probably not take kindly to it, nor would the many rabid foozeball fans out there that think that their machoness is rated entirely on the amount of alcohol consumed and football stats they can recite for their favorite team.

While it'd be neat to see.. I just don't see a real purpose behind it either.

Well.. except if it were possible to see the look on peoples faces when that aired... OMFG.. that could be a whole reality show.. "peoples reactions to ads during a football game" with a 2 hour special on the super bowl! :P

Kind of like Creature comforts, but more specific in topic..

I can somewhat understand your claim, but I think we should think a little more positively and focus on what's posisble. By the way, "people's reactions to ads during a football game" would be interesting ot laugh at.

Edited by Sholem Itzhak