Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why're the villains in this series stupid(like really stupid)

TheMarkz0ne

I know this is a show made for little girls. But I feel like the only reason why the mane 6 get of easily. is because the villains are just that idiotic. I am doing this with ALL villains, or at least the main ones. I'm not showing a bias for my favorite characters.

The main three such as Nightmare Moon, Discord and Chrysalis lost because they used the ancient technique of standing there and letting the heroines save the day. Especially Discord, he brought it upon himself numerous times.

One that really upset me was Sunset Shimmer. She used hypnosis on EVERYONE. Except Twilight and friends, when she was more than capable of doing so..

Why are these villains so so so so STUPID!?

Because, like you said, it's a show for little girls.

Lauren Faust originally wanted the Nightmare Moon arc to be season long and have the show more adventure based, but Hasbro wouldn't let them.

Hasbro doesn't market the show towards us, they market it towards the target audience. They won't allow more adventure than what we get from plot driven 2-parters.

It's a show for little girls, the villains are not supposed to be very complex or the target audience wouldn't know what's going on. If they had the villains win against the main protagonists, a lot of people wouldn't accept that at all.

I wouldn't call them stupid, their plans were well thought out it is just that they make mistakes in which it lead to their downfall.

Edited by Scootalove

It's a show for little girls and the heroes just have to win. If the villains were more intelligent, then it would be likely they would win and that's not needed in a show like My Little Pony. 

To be fair, Sunset Shimmer was going to kill them instead of hypnotize them, actually rather smart when you realize that the Mane  have broken hypnotism before. She had no clue of knowing that the Element of Magic would betray him.

Somba also wasn't dumb, he tried as hard as possible with what he had

I don't really see any of them as "dumb", the way they acted was the same as many other cartoon villains. The main difference is that in other cartoons those villains tend to make recurring comebacks because they are essential to the show. I'll use PPG as an example, the villains there do stupid things that allow them to get caught easily, but they return because what would the show be without them. MLP doesn't focus exclusively on the Mane 6 vs villains, so we're lucky to see two part arcs at all if you ask me.

NMM was your typical revenge driven bond villain who basically gives away their plan by talking about it and setting things out and not deviating from that plan.

Chrysalis was actually very cunning if you think about what took place before her episodes. She had to take place of Cadence at some point, unnoticed, and hold that disguise while her plan came to fruit. Chrysalis didn't know Twi knew Cadence when they were younger, so that was what ultimately ruined her plan.

Discord was never really hoping to "win" IMO, he just doesn't care about it.

Sombra was very one track mind, wanting things his way while ruling over what he saw as "his" kingdom and property. He did attempt to do all he could though in his weakened state and even had traps set that would have been more than enough to keep your average pony at bay with no chance of them succeeding.

Sunset Shimmer, well I don't remember her all that well since I only saw EG once. I do seem to recall though that there was a reason the Mane 6 were not in a trance with all the others. EDIT: Just re-watched the end on Netflix quick and this was another case of something happening that no one couldn't foresee. The magic of friendship once again proved to be a viable thing that allows the Mane 6's latent "internal element" power to be put to use against the villain. She was also just a power hungry typical villain with a set goal and would do anything to get it.

Mane-iac doesn't really count as a villain since she was in a comic book. But she was nothing more than pony Joker meant to be the constant threat for the Power Ponies to keep fighting.

Edited by The Mane-iac
  • Brohoof 1

People want happy endings, especially in a cartoon. Smart villains wouldn't be beaten so they are forced to carry the idiot ball.

This is an unfortunate necessity in COUNTLESS series. Why question it just in this one? Even in a show where it's common for villains to gain victories (Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, etcetera), the bad guys will inevitably have to do something unplanned and dense unless the show's going for a downer ending.

And honestly, only Sombra was all that stupid. Guy's just returned, weaker than ever, and he tries to wage war on this clearly heavily-defended territory...Sombra was a moron.

Discord had no way of knowing his spell had broken. Nightmare Moon had no idea the Elements would work for the ponies until it was too late.

Chrysalis simply assumed, reasonably enough given that she just broke through his magic shields, that she had weakened Shining enough to withstand his attack...She was wrong, it turned out, but if "you were wrong about something, once" is enough to label someone as stupid, we should all probably look in the mirror...

In short, you're confusing miscalculation for stupidity.

(edited)

I think it would have been smart for Shimmer to control the mane 6. She was using the elements of harmony in negative energy. 

I think Shimmers would actually have a sick pleasure out of controlling Twilight and her friends like puppets. It has happened in anime, Marvel, DC and other various types of media. shows that even the hero/heroine needs help.

I thought my two favorite villains Chrysalis and Shimmer. Got the short end of the stick and honestly could have gotten treated better. Maybe Journey of the Spark will give Chrysalis the villainess title she deserves.

Edited by TheMarkz0ne

I actually cannot watch season 4 until it hits netflix. Because all Hasbro decided after 3 years to just now remove episodes 

OT but I don't get the hub either. If you follow EqD they post links to the episodes on youtube each Saturday, as well as the links to the actual hub website once they are posted the following Monday or whatever.

@@TheMarkz0ne,

Twilight broke free of Discord's mind control, it is possible for her to break Sunset's. Sunset Shimmer was being very careful actually by killing Twilight. She didn't talk or try any other stupid idea, she just tried to kill her. Unfortunately for her, the Elder Wand effect kicked in and by then her power was drained and she couldn't do anything 

Because, like you said, it's a show for little girls.

Lauren Faust originally wanted the Nightmare Moon arc to be season long and have the show more adventure based, but Hasbro wouldn't let them.

Hasbro doesn't market the show towards us, they market it towards the target audience. They won't allow more adventure than what we get from plot driven 2-parters.

Actually, the target audience it's not responsible for not being more adventure based, it's because adventure chapters take longer to produce

Sombra was arguably the most competent of all, lack of lines/screentime or not.

Discord was never incompetent, just immature.

Mane-iac resprayed the Mane Six every 30 seconds or so just to make sure they'd stay trapped.

Everypony else... yeah, they bucked up.

• Brohoof 1

@,

You forgot Discord telling Celestia and Luna to "Come at me bro" and getting stoned for it. Sunset Shimmer also tried to blast Twilight to ash as soon as she could.

Nightmare Moon, Chrysalis, and Discord were arrogant enough to kiss their own reflection