Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Red Hot Chili Peppers

FIutt3rguy

Any other bronies consider the RHCPs to be their favorite band of all time? John Frusciante the best guitarist after Jimi Hendrix? "Can't Stop" as the best funk rock song ever made?

Well if you do, let me be the first to smack your hoof against my hoof. 

Soul to Squeeze, Apache Rose Peacock, I Could Have Lied, Under the Bridge, Dani California, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, She's Only 18, Slow Cheetah, Snow (Hey Oh), Californication, Around the World, Easily, Road Trippin', Scar Tissue, Dosed, The Zephyr Song, Mellowship Slinky in B Major, Funky Monks, Castles Made of Sand (Studio Version, Hendrix), The Greeting Song, Otherside, By the Way, Get on Top, Suck my Kiss, If You Have to Ask, Fortune Faded, Give it Away, My Lovely Man, Don't Forget Me, Tell Me Baby, The Power of Equality

That's all I can think of for now. It'd be really cool if some pony could talk Chili Peppers with me. 

Also, I'm a muffin. :derp:  That is all. 

Forgot: Death of a Martian (written about the death of Flea's dog Martian), Stadium Arcadium (Stadium Arcadium)

Edited by FIutt3rguy
  • Brohoof 3

Wow.  RHCP is definitely a great band, although I don't quite consider them my all-time favorite.  I really liked the whole Californication record, and it was a big turning point for them both commercially and artistically.  I guess my favorite song from them has to be "Otherside":

• Brohoof 1

Frusciante's style is definitely admirable; much more artistic, even for their style of music, when compared to other guitarists of his caliber :D Directly behind Hendrix? Nahh, but I'd put him wayy high on the list, maybe even top 10 :D

Best song? Gahh, so many good ones. I listen to the Power of Equality a lot when I'm in Show Discussion, but I don't have a personal favorite; I really don't find too much good in anything pre-Mother's Milk, though :( Sucks, because Hillel was an awesome dude, and Flea's bass playing back then was so damn unmatchable.

I also read Kiedis' biography. I gotta say, when compared to other bands, there isn't much internal conflict with them. It's all sex, and, for a while, drugs.

That's it. It coulda been an erotic novel just as easily :lol:

Best Album is a tie between Blood Sugar Sex Magik and Californication; I actually don't think One Hot Minute was too bad, but, other than Aeroplane and My Friends, I didn't see too much else to get into with Navarro instead of Frusciante; they're never the same without John, man :D

• Brohoof 1

The first time I saw the "road flares dance" (in my dorm room, many MANY years ago) I couldn't stop laughing for like 5 minutes...

EDIT: oh, Christ, even now I almost spewed beer out my nose when he smacked his ass with those stupid fingerless gloves

Edited by NLR Information Minister

The RHCP are but one of many of what I consider to be my favorite bands. I'm still saddened by the loss of John Frusciante, but I'm With You was a great album nonetheless. Josh Klinghoffer shows a lot of potential as Frusciante's successor. My favorite Chili Peppers song is "Otherside" after hearing it played live back in 2003. Frusciante's backup vocals still send chills down my spine to this day.

(edited)

Frusciante's style is definitely admirable; much more artistic, even for their style of music, when compared to other guitarists of his caliber :D Directly behind Hendrix? Nahh, but I'd put him wayy high on the list, maybe even top 10 :D

Best song? Gahh, so many good ones. I listen to the Power of Equality a lot when I'm in Show Discussion, but I don't have a personal favorite; I really don't find too much good in anything pre-Mother's Milk, though :( Sucks, because Hillel was an awesome dude, and Flea's bass playing back then was so damn unmatchable.

I also read Kiedis' biography. I gotta say, when compared to other bands, there isn't much internal conflict with them. It's all sex, and, for a while, drugs.

That's it. It coulda been an erotic novel just as easily :lol:

Best Album is a tie between Blood Sugar Sex Magik and Californication; I actually don't think One Hot Minute was too bad, but, other than Aeroplane and My Friends, I didn't see too much else to get into with Navarro instead of Frusciante; they're never the same without John, man :D

Couldn't agree more about Nevarro. That dood drugged the band out and his only decent song was Aeroplane. :huh: I just love thinking of a young John Frusciante sitting at home playing Jimi Hendrix by ear. Their styles aren't too far off. My strongest example is the intro to "Under the Bridge".

As for a favorite album? It's a tough choice between Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik and Stadium Arcadium. :okiedokielokie:  I thought the quality and timing of Stadium Arcadium was just impeccable. I follow Frusciante's solo stuff but it's definitely not the same without him there. Just listen to Flea's speech during their rock 'n roll HOF induction ceremony. Hear him talk of Hillel and his love for music and his love and connection with John Frusciante. Magik happens when the guitar and bass sync. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU3QCz9_fYo (Chris Rock was kind of funny but meh-)

I'm just happy the man's still alive. It came this close...

…this is some scary stuff.  :o

Also "Scar Tissue" was an awesome read. Being a die hard pepper fan it wasn't a surprise that I wouldn't be able to put it down (I finished it in 2 days lol) but some of those stories were so explicit I couldn't relate at all. Had to read some of the gems in there twice mainly the part about Hillel Slovak ODing. That part made me extremely sad cause I kind of understood what he might have been going through :(  

It's funny actually because before I started getting more into music and the world of guitar I adored Metallica (still do) Here's their induction ceremony…

Flea says some kind words. I also like what he says about music allowing passionate anger to turn into something uplifting and beautiful. Righteous. LIKE WHAT A GUY!! But as I learned more and more I learned that Metallica's style was very one dimensional so to speak. Granted extremely good, new , and nuanced in that particular dimension but limited nonetheless. It was ironic that when Metallica was up for induction Flea gave an intro speech and spoke very nicely of Cliff Burton (arguably the best thrash bass player to ever live). It was a fanboy experience for me hahah ^_^ Edited by FIutt3rguy

@@FIutt3rguy

They weren't very big without John for a reason; they're one of the all time greats, and he was the missing piece to that whole band, no doubt. Hillel was damn good, though, and the respect carries on, but it never would've been the same if Hillel had stayed and John didn't come along, unfortunately...Kiedis, Flea, John, and Will Ferrell Chad make such a great sound together, take any of them out and it'd be wayy different, as it is now :(

I remember buying Scar Tissue when I went up to Arkansas to visit my family, lol. I was 12 or 13 and bought that book all by myself :) Kinda glad that no one saw what was inside of it, naked ladies and all :D I don't have it anymore, but I'd read through it over and over again when I did.

Flea, Cliff, and Claypool are arguably the best bassists of all time, and hell, man, it was a good feeling for me to see that nod to Burton, and I don't listen to much Metallica...(well, hell, nothing past Justice for All, at least :D)

• Brohoof 1

@@FIutt3rguy

They weren't very big without John for a reason; they're one of the all time greats, and he was the missing piece to that whole band, no doubt. Hillel was damn good, though, and the respect carries on, but it never would've been the same if Hillel had stayed and John didn't come along, unfortunately...Kiedis, Flea, John, and Will Ferrell Chad make such a great sound together, take any of them out and it'd be wayy different, as it is now :(

I remember buying Scar Tissue when I went up to Arkansas to visit my family, lol. I was 12 or 13 and bought that book all by myself :) Kinda glad that no one saw what was inside of it, naked ladies and all :D I don't have it anymore, but I'd read through it over and over again when I did.

Flea, Cliff, and Claypool are arguably the best bassists of all time, and hell, man, it was a good feeling for me to see that nod to Burton, and I don't listen to much Metallica...(well, hell, nothing past Justice for All, at least :D)

Yeah it's Cliff 'em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All, and Garage Inc. wasn't bad (give "Astronomy" a chance. Metallica does a cover of a very popular Blue Oyster Cult song).

But man are John's fingers fast… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6aruvzmOY8

If you can play the intro in tempo and in its entirety  I have mad respect for you.

Yeah it's Cliff 'em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All, and Garage Inc. wasn't bad (give "Astronomy" a chance. Metallica does a cover of a very popular Blue Oyster Cult song).

But man are John's fingers fast… 

If you can play the intro in tempo and in its entirety  I have mad respect for you.

Actually, I can play that little riff you hear throughout most of the song, and it's fuckin' difficult, believe me. I also can't play anything else in that song, and I can't keep in time and I can't help but accidentally hit dead notes every now and again, and I've been playing for 5 years, man. I can rip some SRV style solos, but the pure speed and constant string changing that pretty much tells any hopes of hammer-ons to go cry in a corner makes it hard. It's blisteringly difficult, dude, and I'm not a mediocre guitarist by any means necessary, trust me :D

• Brohoof 2

Yeah I read this comment on youtube that said they'd been playing for a little over 20 years and used the same arpeggio and chords in the Snow intro verse riff thingy. He said he still couldn't play it that fast...

I don't know if thats too extreme because I'd like to believe after 20 years of playing in your bedroom you can at least play that for a minute and a half straight with no hiccups. Then again…  :o

• Brohoof 1

While I'm not as crazy about the Red Hot Chili Peppers as Flutt3rguy is, they're still a very good band. Alot of their music has nostalgic value for me...it comes through in the way Anthony Kiedis sings. I won't say anything more about that though, because nostalgia is not something that can be transferred from listener to listener, the way other aspects of music can.

Instead, I will post two of their songs that I like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRIk6VYaqPs

"Fight Like A Brave" (with their original, late guitarist Hillel Slovak)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS-YTlJZOl0

"Dosed" (from the "By The Way" album)

• 8 years later...

Never listened to them. But something I can agree on is: "Space may be the final frontier, but it's made in a Hollywood basement". Well, it is not entirely hollywood. Nasa and other "space" agencies have different sets and locations around the circle of the earth where they like to film.