Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If you were immortal, would you be happy or sad?

Sugar Pea

You would be around their offspring, though (someone else pointed that out when I mentioned not wanting to watch my loved ones die). You'd be the everlasting relative/friend for everyone's kids and grandkids. The thought of being around to help my great grandkids raise THEIR kids is kinda cool.. and it would provide a sense of security for my kids that I would always be around. 

Hmm, never thought about that. That is a good point.

It would likely go from sad to happy, just like it does when I am not immortal. The only thing is, I would be happy that I will be able to see...and know, how the world ends...and have so many questions answered that I know will never be answered in my lifetime...like, what lies in the great beyond of space, the origin of everything, the nature of the universe. It will not be known in my lifetime, but I am sure, the answer will be revealed sometime in the very distant future.

• Brohoof 1

It would be boring, to simply live forever and slowly watch the fall of humanity while I sit on my ass and play Fallout for hours.

Now if it came with Omnipotence... that would be flat out amazing.

There would both be sad and good moments. I mean how much would you be able to learn if you where immortal. That would just be awesome. But slowly loosing friends family loved ones, that would really suck I'd guess.

Lol would be fun in a way. Time would never be an issue for me anymore.. Though, I'd only be happy being immortal if my loved ones are also immortal. Then we can all have an immortal party!

Sigh, okay this is starting to get annoying.

Death is not a bad thing, is a natural part of our existence, likely you will lose family and friends in your lifetime even without immortality, and though you will feel sad on their passing... lost connection to make you stronger, its not like you can't make new friends and gain new experiences. Better you hold the memories in your heart, and live your life hopefully learn something from your time with them.

Edited by EquestrianScholar

To be immortal is akin to atheism.  Yes, your loved ones will die all around whether you are immortal or not.  What makes any religion worthwhile is the prospect of seeing your loved ones again once you pass on.  To be immortal means to never see anyone again.  Once they are dead, they are gone and there's nothing more to it.

I would not want to be immortal because I'd never see my beloved husband ever again after the short time he is on this earth.  Plus, I'd never see God, well, until the end of the world, but I wouldn't want to live to see that anyways.

I haven't read through all the comments, so someone might have brought this up.

I might over think this topic abit, but being immortal, and unable to kill yourself would be an incredibly harsh punishment.

First you see your closest die, then you see your next friends die. You will feel incredibly lonely as everyone you ever get close to die.

To wrap it all up the sun will consume the earth and you will be stuck in an endless torture.

Have fun.

Unless you are lucky enough to at some point end up on a livable planet, for a brief rest.

I would be relieved.  Not having to worry about death would make things a lot less stressful.  It would also change my frame of reference.  I would start doing things with a longer time window like learning to play instruments.

• 1 year later...

Sad, definitely. I'd rather not spend eternity seeing all the fancy new ways humanity devises to kill and degrade itself with, thanks. And even if my body was eternal, I doubt any virtues or positivity I may have would hold on for another hundred years or so, let alone a thousand...  -_-

Edited by WoofWoof~
  • Brohoof 1

Honestly I would be happy, death is something that terrifies me. I'd gladly stay alive for thousand of years rather than dying in a couple of years.

However if I can't kill myself I'd prefer to be mortal of course.

Edited by Blobulle

I would kinda be upset if I were immortal...because I wouldn''t die old with my friends and forced to watch everyone around me disappear. 

:'(

What about you, guys?

Pretty much my answere right there.  imagine how Celstia feels about her students and how many she seen come and go, succeed and failed yet no matter what they do in life they are all left behind a she keeps living.  Now having to banish her sister for a thousand years, the only one who was by her side for who knows how long now out of reach.  Imagine the heart break of just staring up at the moon and knowing you had to send her way.

immortality is a curse, at least in the physical world it is.

I honestly don't know how to answer this. Having been suicidal recently this is tough.

Most people may say they don't want to outlive their friends and family and watch them grow old as they remain youthful forever. Truth is, I don't have anyone special anymore, I wouldn't mind outliving the people around me.....but being immortal would also be a curse since I'm stuck in immense loneliness. If I get into an accident and am immortal while going through terrible issues, I won't die so I'll be forced to continue living and not get peace :(

So yeah.....unsure ^_^

I would probably be depressed.

I would out-live my partner, pets, family, and friends :(

Depends on many factors. I would certainly not want to be immortal in this world. Fuck that. 

I would not want to outlive my family or friends, and I would not want to have to be here forever.

• 3 years later...

Being immortal in this world would be a sentence without end. It would not be pleasant but hopeless thinking that this is all I'd have for the rest of eternity. The longer one lives, the smaller one's world seems to become and it would be very, very boring. 

• Brohoof 2