Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is it that Twilight pretty much never flies?

fimdash

As most of you have probably noticed so far in season 4, Twilight pretty much never uses her wings. Other than the premiere eps and a few times in the Castle Mane-ia episode, I don't recall an instance where Twilight flies. I don't see why she never uses her wings and stays grounded all the time. Her wings are new, and it should be exciting to use them. Also, she's definitely not a bad flyer anymore, since she was able to perform her version of a sonic rainboom at the end of the Princess Twilight episodes. Twilight in an Alicorn princess now, yet it feels like absolutely nothing has changed. Ponies aren't acknowledging her for being a princess, and she never uses her wings. They're just kind of there, and I feel like she really should use them more, since otherwise it makes the change seem rather pointless.

Twilight probably doesn't feel comfortable while flying, she is still trying to get the hang of it I suppose. She just prefers to use magic instead of flying, unless she is needed to fly. Plus, she is used to walking instead of flying.

Edited by Scootalove
  • Brohoof 1

Twilight in an Alicorn princess now, yet it feels like absolutely nothing has changed. Ponies aren't acknowledging her for being a princess, and she never uses her wings. 

That's a very good point. I noticed that people don't really even acknowledge her as being a princess. When they were in Manehattan, no one was like "Wow, there's Princess Twilight!" It was like she was just another average pony. And also, I think she doesn't use her wings because there just really isn't any need to. She's used to walking, why would she fly?

If you suddenly got wings you wouldn't dive right into it either would you? I mean we're talking about flying here. Obviously they are new to her and it takes time to get used to them. You don't want to just fly up 50 feet so that when you fall you die. Baby steps, I imagine adjusting to a whole new body part takes time.

They back pedaled on that with the EG movie after hearing so many complaints about how quickly Twilight picked up on flying in the finale of Season 3. Besides the wings, Twilight is subtly growing into a slightly taller and slender form similar to that of Celestia and Luna (Compare her to the other mane 6 when they stand side by side and you can tell the difference). 

Edited by Rice_Powered
  • Brohoof 1

Celestia rarely flies. Alicorns aren't a strong as pegesi when it comes to flight, which makes sense as why would they when they can use magic?

I feel like we've seen Celestia fly a good amount, but then again she's had her wings longer. Not sure if it's true that Alicorns aren't as strong as pegasi when it comes to flying, especially since Alicorn wings are larger and thicker. 

That's a very good point. I noticed that people don't really even acknowledge her as being a princess. When they were in Manehattan, no one was like "Wow, there's Princess Twilight!" It was like she was just another average pony. And also, I think she doesn't use her wings because there just really isn't any need to. She's used to walking, why would she fly?

I just want to see more scenes of Twilight flying since she has wings now and she should at least use them from time to time. Twilight never really had any use for flying in the first place though.. they just don't fit her imo :/

If you suddenly got wings you wouldn't dive right into it either would you? I mean we're talking about flying here. Obviously they are new to her and it takes time to get used to them. You don't want to just fly up 50 feet so that when you fall you die. Baby steps, I imagine adjusting to a whole new body part takes time.

The thing is, she was able to perform her version of a sonic rainboom at the end of the second episode. No way a beginner flyer could pull something like that off.

I feel like we've seen Celestia fly a good amount, but then again she's had her wings longer. Not sure if it's true that Alicorns aren't as strong as pegasi when it comes to flying, especially since Alicorn wings are larger and thicker. 

I just want to see more scenes of Twilight flying since she has wings now and she should at least use them from time to time. Twilight never really had any use for flying in the first place though.. they just don't fit her imo :/

The thing is, she was able to perform her version of a sonic rainboom at the end of the second episode. No way a beginner flyer could pull something like that off.

That could more or less just be bad writing or lack of concern.

Oh boy if I could have wings I wouldn't even think about walking ever again. But it seems like her magical powers are more awesome!...Now that I think about it. It really does seem like they try to keep it down on the flying. There were even parts of season 4 where I forgot that she has wings now.

While I know in her spot I would be trying to master flying as quickly as possible, she has usually been the more restrained of the six, probably close to Applejack and Fulttershy in that category.  Without her actively trying to do so I don't see her flying as having become habitual just yet.

I suggested earlier that much of Twilight's transformation is being retconned to some degree which is why she won't fly unless it's a key episode plot such as the season premiere. What I mean is that her princess self is being reduced to a degree where it might as well have never occurred. Which also explains why everypony pretends she isn't a princess when she is walking around (exception is premiere again but Canterlot ponies should already know her to begin with). I can't understand why it would be their choice to do so though.

• Brohoof 1

Her wings are new, and it should be exciting to use them. Also, she's definitely not a bad flyer anymore, since she was able to perform her version of a sonic rainboom at the end of the Princess Twilight episodes. 

One of the writers (Meghan McCarthy, I think), said that it wasn't a Sonic Rainboom, but was magic.  This is supported by her horn briefly glowing before flying.

They back pedaled on that with the EG movie after hearing so many complaints about how quickly Twilight picked up on flying in the finale of Season 3. Besides the wings, Twilight is subtly growing into a slightly taller and slender form similar to that of Celestia and Luna (Compare her to the other mane 6 when they stand side by side and you can tell the difference). 

The episodes and the movie were written long before MMC aired and people complained.

• Brohoof 2

One of the writers (Meghan McCarthy, I think), said that it wasn't a Sonic Rainboom, but was magic.  This is supported by her horn briefly glowing before flying.

Ah, interesting. Hmm.. still though, I'm sure she would be able to fly around at least on an intermediate level. I think I would like to see her fly around as much as she did in Castle Mane-ia. That seemed like the right amount.

The episodes and the movie were written long before MMC aired and people complained.

Good point, I completely forgot about that. Though it does seem to me that the writers of the show feel obligated to hold to a higher standard by the members of the fandom then what is normally expected of other children shows. And I don't mean that in an entitled way, I think the show is great for reaching out to bigger audience in the first place. 

My guess is that the writers don't want to force this new "Princess Twilight Sparkle" thing down the throats of the viewers. When Twilight became an alicorn, it was truly polarizing for the entire fandom. I'm sure Twi's new princess title will come into play more and more as we go forward into the season. In my opinion, we're kind of rushing it.

• Brohoof 1

It's all about preference of why she sticks to the ground rather than fly most of the times.

After all, in the premiere, she has struggled flying along with spike, so my guess is that she practices in private until she gets the hang of it.

I'm not entirely sure Twilight LIKES flying; she certainly isn't comfortable with being an alicorn as it is. We see Rainbow Dash teaching her to fly, and when she finally gets the hang of it (sorta), she crashes muzzle first into the ground. I didn't think that thing she did at the Summer Sun Celebration was a flying trick so much as her using magic. So, to stop rambling here, I don't think Twilight is comfortable with being "different" from other ponies and so is kinda self conscious about doing anything beyond what her normal old self can do.

• Brohoof 1

You can't use Rainbow Dash as a bench mark for how much Twilight flies or doesn't fly, since Rainbow Dash flies all the time and even when she may not need to. Fluttershy flies far less and I think is a better model for how Twilight will use her wings. Honestly I've always felt it's a bit rude how Rainbow always hovers above her friends even when she doesn't have to. I give her a pass because she doesn't intend anything from it but it's just always bothered me.

I think Twilight flies when she needs to or it seems when she's happy (Castle Mane-ia) or preoccupied (Princess Twilight 1). Heck in Power Ponies she flew before Rainbow and even hovered with her during Flutterhulk.

Out of the 10 episodes so far Twilight's been in 7 and flew in four of those and for the others the writers and animators may have not considered it important.

Edited by Nature's Spell

To be honest as much as it'd be a dream of mine to fly, for someone like Fluttershy or Twilight, it's just not something they prefer or want to do all the time, I mean Rainbow loves it and she obviously shows that by flying all the time even in front of others. Besides just because Twilight is princess doesn't mean she's required to fly, Celestia, Luna, and Cadence don't fly 24/7. Hopefully Twilight will fly soon, but to me it's not a big deal if she flies or doesn't.

Because the fans would be pissed. The fandom is very fickle, if Twilight uses her Princess status and wings "She's a Mary-Sue and they're destroying her character" 

If Twilight doesn't use her wings and Princesshood, "Bad writing, they're trying to back-pedal away"

• Brohoof 1

Having spent the majority of her life on the ground it would stand to reason that while she can fly she does not think about it most of the time. So natural behavior for her would be to walk.

Better question would be why whenever she goes some place new anyone in sight insnt bowing to her.  My theory is at her coronation she asked that she not receive any special treatment.

I would to see Twilight

getting more flying lessons

and all and having some

clumsy moments which would

still fit her personality.

True also twilight is

use to walking and all

but even Tia and Luna

have been seen flying

at least but they also live

in a castle so it would make

sense and all for the to fly more