Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is it that Twilight pretty much never flies?

fimdash

I'm going to take a small issue with part of the OP. The transformation was never about flying in the first place, but rather about (cough toys cough) showcasing how far she's come as a character and opening up new opportunities for types of stories to use her and the rest of the cast in. From that standpoint, they're not really doing much of anything either (yet), but that's an issue for another thread. Twilight most likely just feels uncomfortable in the air and is used to doing everything without wings as it is, so doesn't use them unless she absolutely needs to, like Fluttershy.

• Brohoof 2

1. The fans would scream bloody murder

2. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy have been flying most of their lives, so it's like second nature.  Twilight sucks mad at flying, and doesn't make a lot of time to practice, probably because she's stuck in her books, learning how to be a princess (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ , and chillin wid her crew.  She be like "Playa WUT?  I aint got no time for that sheiit!"

I think that Twilight doesn't fly much because the writers are trying to keep some sort of status quo. They may be failing at it but I don't think that they want Twilight to stand out too much. I mean, sometimes Twilight seems to be the intended voice of reason, and sometimes not, but if she started flying all over the place, when it is not needed people would be angry about it. I mean, the Mane Six have been saving Equestria since the start of the show. By all rights, they should be praised wherever they go, but this would brake the show. I think it's the same thing... If Twilight changes too much she will lose her charm.

The thing is... Twilight flying around would be a justifiable change in her character now, and I would like to see her using those wings. This particular subject may be left in the open intentionally too: it's possible that an episode in the future will deal with her flying ability again.

Of course, assuming that writers care enough about what the audience thinks.

But if you want a in-universe reason for Twilight to not fly around too much... Well, she took her wings rather well, but she was never really comfortable with her new situation. Maybe she doesn't like flying unless it's necessary because she feels weird about her wings. I mean, she just grew a new pair of limbs.

• Brohoof 2