Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was it easy for you guys to make friends on the forums?

TheCountryArtist

I do have some friends on here, but none I really talk to often.. Would like to though :)

Well, i'd say we're all friends here, most are very nice to each other.

Edited by Nye1254

I still haven't made any friends on the forums and I've been here for almost 2 years. I have people on my friends list, but I don't really talk with any of them that much and I don't particularly feel close to anyone here. Though I do have a few favorite posters and some people I recognize more than others.

I think partly because I have stints where I'll blow up the forums and then disappear for 3 or 4 months. So just when I feel like I'm starting to get to know other people, I disappear and kinda crush any chance at friendship.

Aside from that, I think I'm not a very approachable sort of person. I'm a bit stoic and analytic, which I think turns some people off. I don't think I come off as the friendliest person. I don't think I'm mean or anything, but I am introverted, and I think that often gets misinterpreted my others.

If those aren't the reasons why, though, I have no idea why I struggle to make friends on the forum.

I can make friends pretty easily here. Whenever I feel bold enough, I just send a pm or the other person sends me a pm and we just talk. From there, a conversation starts up and we become fast friends. :)

I've talked to a few people on the forums in-depth, and we've had some good conversations. I personally find it a lot easier to communicate online because I have all the time in the world to come up with what I want to say, and how I want to say it.

However, I think online friendships take longer to manifest into something deeper and meaningful. You can talk to a person for a long time and still feel as if you don't really know them that well. 

I spoke with a guy on these forums for months, and over time, the friendship faded away because we didn't exactly have any common experiences or common ground aside from our interests. We had never really gone through any hardships together, or truly bonded.

I think a true friendship is something that's very hard to come across, online or in real-life. But I'd say the chances of finding a true friendship are much greater if you're sharing real-life experiences with each other.

• Brohoof 1

I've been here for quite some time, and I've met some of my friends here ^^

I mostly really got to know them outside of the forums, like Jokuc, who i started talking to when i was in one of his Livestreams, or some old members that left when the chat got closed down and they added me on Skype.

I don't think it's really hard to make friends as long as you share some interests with them x)

Hello!

It was fairly easy to find friends, but, don't want to complain, it became easy to lose them aswell. :P I'm just happy that my current friends put up with my social awkwardness, which can be really annoying. I really value them... I just hope to one day have another chance to be friends with the ones I have split ways... :)

Not really. It's been kinda difficult for me lately. Especially I'm kind of a horrible multitasker, which makes handling conversations with more than two people simultaneously quite challenging. I'm not really that good with keeping up with most conversations. Heck, at this point, Pink Mist is really one of the only members I talk to everyday on here. I'm thankful for her. :)  But besides her, I can't really handle PMing others that well. Mostly because I'm ridiculously shy and I tend to do other things online like reading and research, which makes conversing with people here even more of a challenge.

Plus, even if I do converse with others on here, it's not going to last. It usually doesn't. After exchanging five to ten messages, the conversation ends right then and there.

Not only that but I've lost much understanding of human behavior and how it works. I don't get people sometimes and I don't get why they say or do the things they do. The same goes for in real life. It's kinda depressing but I feel like I can never really have fun with people. :(  *sighs* 

• Brohoof 4

Yes because I am amazing.

...well, honestly, I roleplay a lot and a lot of my friends come from RP's I did with them.

Speaking of RPs I need to get that OP up...

At the beggining i was like you,thinking that i had hard to have any friend,but then,i understood that i have to be natural,and then i started to talk on various post and make some forum games,and then i strted to befriend some great people,like ghostfacekiller,concord or skylar,per example :catface:

the lesson is that don't be too impatient,be natural and try to post,and you'll see that if your post are good and/ot funny :P, y the people will start to talk to you,but then don't be shy,try to talk!even if you say something stupid,maybe the other will laugh,and that's better than nothing :)

• Brohoof 1

Yes actually, I make friends very very easily on here. A bit too much sometimes... I'm being a bit more wary though. It's not always a good thing to make ''friends''. I ended up blocking quite a bit of them.

Edited by D1SC0RD

Years ago I was very social online and had a number of online friendships that I treasured. But those faded, and now I'm a terrible internet friend. I don't even know what happened to bring about this particular change, it just happened. I'd try to explain it, but I only end up confusing myself in doing so.

The fact of the matter is that I'm terrible about being social online now. I don't mean to be, but it's just the way things are... I never welcome other members, I never start conversations with others, I don't even wish others happy birthday. lol Well, there is like maybe one exception to those rules, but it happens very rarely with me nowadays.

So, no, it's no longer easy for me at all. And the sad part is that I'm not even sure I care.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

It is easy for me to make friends in real life and okay on here because some friends that a make never talk to me or well they take forever to respond back well yea in real life I chat and get to know the person and then we became friends after a week or two but here people do not add me i have to add them lol

For me, it's really hard at the moment to make friends on here. It's not easy as I thought it would be. Outside the internet I make friends easily, but here, it's just so hard and... Ugh!!

According to your profile you've been here since Dec. 6.  That's not a long time.  I joined in October of 2012 and I didn't get people I regard as friends until three or four months later.  Just be patient, express yourself in the forum sections you like the most and some people will begin to notice and want to talk to you.  :) 

The key is to find a niche that suits you.  Some members like Show Discussion.  Others may like forum games or Roleplay.  While I've always had a few people in my "friends" screen, I consider my earliest friends here to be people such as DashForever, Flipturn, and Stellafera.  We soon found ourselves constantly replying to and brohoofing each others' posts mostly in Show Discussion.  I've made additional friends since then and it got easier as time went on because by then I was an established member. 

Best of luck!  :) 

• Brohoof 1

I'm very reserved, and that kind of personality is not geared toward making friends, so it was hard at first. I didn't have a conversation with someone until nearly two months after joining. But it's gotten easier over time.

Sure, I'm not massively popular, but that's alright. Not everyone is going to be. You can still have rewarding relationships.

I was lucky enough to meet two friends very quickly , one of whom is now my best friend and the other a very close friend to :) 

I've never really gone out of my way to make new friends, I've had friendships come and go on the forums but I would say It has been in the middle for me, I neither feel lonely / without friends here nor one of the popular / famous members :P Quite a nice balance =] 

I remember being brand new though it was very daunting trying to meet new people :) 

I'm new around here so I can't say I've made friends, but I could see how it would be hard to make friends on a forum of this size.  I was an admin on a much smaller forum and the biggest difference between the two is that one you're talking to the same people over and over so you get to know them. Here on the other hand, two people can be active members for a while and never really notice each other.

I think one thing that also makes it hard is that there's no thread for just strict off topic small talk.  Most forum's I've been on have had a chat thread just to talk and get to know eachother.  That being said, I think a thread like that would be impossible to implement here because those threads tend to be super-active and go quickly even on a small forum... here it'd just get ridiculous.

Anyway just my thoughts... just keep an eye out for people with similar interests and don't be afraid to message them to talk privately and get to know then more than you can on discussion threads :D

The 'friend' metric here is a bit odd. I mean, other than one or two people, everyone on my friend list is a person who friended *me*, and in many cases I have no idea why. I don't know what post, be it forum, blog, or status, that triggered the impulse.

Every once in a while I get curious, but by the time I feel like I know a member well enough to ask, enough time has passed that the answer would be meaningless. There's one or two cases that it becomes obvious because we chat about things in PMs, but a majority of them probably don't even remember themselves why they chose to 'friend' me.

• Brohoof 1

Going to make a distinction between two different meanings: Friend list and Actual friends.

Friend list people aren't hard to come by. They'll add you, you'll add them, and so on. Not that difficult.

Making an actual friend, though, is much tougher. I've made several acquaintances here, but no one in my time here has earned the title of "friend" from me. I'd like to change that, but it's a bit difficult for me. I'm not very outgoing on teh intarwebz. Not to mention, I don't really know anyone here well enough to try.

It's easy for some, not so for others. 

• Brohoof 1