Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming What video game consoles are overrated?

Black Licorice

Honestly? Every game console from the xbox onward. Ever since the xbox entered the market every game company has been trying to sell their respective systems off as the best thing since sliced bread. I'm not saying it wasn't like that before xbox, it's just that things really exploded after Microsoft entered the console wars with its xbox.

• Brohoof 2

The Xbox 360 for sure. It was a fun console, and had many great titles on it, but people seem to forget the fact that xbox live cost extra money, the UI was awful, and OH the lag during online matches in games.

PC Master race is probably the most annoying. (I PC game too).

You can spend $1,500-$2,000 on a great gaming computer, but tell me in comparison how I can't enjoy playing on a cheap console that isn't expensive and has some pretty wicked games. Their pride is too high. 

Play your games how you want to, not how someone else wants you to.

• Brohoof 7

It's certainly the N64.

Bloody hell, people today seem to think they'll be "cool" if they talk about how they "stil us thur n64 xbox sux!!1! lol #retro".

No, you don't look cool.

You look like a prat.

No one cares. It's fine if you still use it but trying to make yourself seem like you're the epitome of awesome is just stupid.

• Brohoof 2

Hm.  I've honestly liked every console I've owned.  I wish the Wii had had better games on it, because the the controller set up was interesting.  It had a few great ones, but those didn't make up for all the really crappy games on it in my opinion.

Overrated? I love game consoles. All of them. Because I love gaming! I haven't seen any console in the last 20 years that I didn't at least have a passing interest in because of at least a few games I'd wanted to play on each system.

The only console I feel that has ever come close to being over-rated, is the Ouya. A lot of people supported it, they wanted it to be good, and when it was finally released, it was a piece of crap. The game library was seriously lacking, devs were jumping ship on developing for it, and the controller was pretty awkwardly designed. The unfortunate people who bought it were desperately trying to justify their purchase by hyping the machine up to be this god-given heavenly gift to the gaming universe, but all of that positive talk was born from such desperation and disappointment.

PC Master race is probably the most annoying. (I PC game too).

You can spend $1,500-$2,000 on a great gaming computer, but tell me in comparison how I can't enjoy playing on a cheap console that isn't expensive and has some pretty wicked games. Their pride is too high. 

Play your games how you want to, not how someone else wants you to.

I agree about PC supremacy being irritating but I still agree that the computer is the best choice. You can easily build a gaming computer for 500 dollars which will run every game on good settings and its just much more versatile than any console out there.

So to respond to the thread: I think all platforms are overrated by their users as they achieve generally the same thing. However I think PC allows for more customization and other tasks other than gaming.

• Brohoof 3

It's certainly the N64.

Bloody hell, people today seem to think they'll be "cool" if they talk about how they "stil us thur n64 xbox sux!!1! lol #retro".

No, you don't look cool.

You look like a prat.

No one cares. It's fine if you still use it but trying to make yourself seem like you're the epitome of awesome is just stupid.

Yeah, I think I can agree with this. For me it still had some great games, just like any console. Paper Mario, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario 64, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask, Mario Kart 64 Starfox 64 and ect. I personally like SNES.

It probably all boils down who you hang out with that determines how much more you hear from other people bragging and shoving their console pride in your face.

I agree about PC supremacy being irritating but I still agree that the computer is the best choice. You can easily build a gaming computer for 500 dollars which will run every game on good settings and its just much more versatile than any console out there.

So to respond to the thread: I think all platforms are overrated by their users as they achieve generally the same thing. However I think PC allows for more customization and other tasks other than gaming.

Yeah, but then the functionality acts as a console and not a complete computer altogether if you focus on certain parts and what not. I mean some video cards are $500 lol. (Obviously you don't have to go for an over-rated card to build a great PC though). However, I do understand what you mean. It's not hard to build a cheap gaming PC. Especially if you have extra computer parts lying around to be used. 

Ifdfdsa fd d asd adf  23r2r r2

Edited by plzremoveaccountfdfd

Definitely the N64, for some reasons Nintendo fans act as this was Nintendo's greatest achievement, yet it easily had one of the weakest console libraries mirroring the Wii U. Sure Nintendo's best games like Super Mario, Ocarina of Time and Starfox 64, as well as Rare's most critically acclaimed titles, but outside of that was pretty much a handful botched ports of PS1 titles(the only good ports I can think of were Resident Evil 2 and Megaman 64). It's nearly impossible for me to think of anything good outside of Nintendo's or Rare's games, maybe a couple of, albeit good, Star Wars and Wrestling titles. IMO, the N64 was the very definition of a Nintendo Box(though the Wii U is looking to out pace it). Little to no games worth mentioning that weren't by Nintendo or Rare, the GC and the Wii had much stronger libraries imo yet they seem to get most of the burn.

Oh, and I'd also like to elaborate that the N64 controller was one of worst pieces of shit I've ever held in my hand

The original Xbox is also pretty overrated, the only thing it had over other consoles was better online, but with the PS2 and GC not only getting similar titles, they also had better exclusives. Sure the Xbox had some great titles like Halo, Ninja Gaiden and Crimson Skies, but compared to the PS2 and GC's goldmine of exclusives it was pretty pathetic(on top of the fact that they would also eventually release a lot of those titles on PC anyway)

I'd also say the Wii, but it's kind of a weird case of "it's overrated and underrated at the same time". I'd elaborate more but I'm too sick to think right now

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 2

I'd say that every console is always a bit overrated especially as they age and you have all these fond memories of them. So some of us may exaggerate a little about their greatness. As of now, the whole PS4 versus Xbox one and then the PC master race, lol. All of it I think is annoying, it really does not matter how you play your games whether it's on a PC or a console the most important part is to have fun while playing it. So I'd say every console is a bit overrated.

and the PSP

Huh that's odd, wasn't that thing not too successful? 

Anyways, for me, I personally enjoy every console and handheld that I own and play with, but the Xbox has to be the most overrated.

Everyone is so hooked up with the multi-connectivity and whatnot, that even some of my old friends admit they use it to only chat and play call of duty, weak....

Also the PC, while I do enjoy it, the whole "Master race" and some reluctant fans does make me hate it for how others are. 

Yeah, I think I can agree with this. For me it still had some great games, just like any console. Paper Mario, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario 64, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask, Mario Kart 64 Starfox 64 and ect. I personally like SNES.

It probably all boils down who you hang out with that determines how much more you hear from other people bragging and shoving their console pride in your face.

Yeah, but then the functionality acts as a console and not a complete computer altogether if you focus on certain parts and what not. I mean some video cards are $500 lol. (Obviously you don't have to go for an over-rated card to build a great PC though). However, I do understand what you mean. It's not hard to build a cheap gaming PC. Especially if you have extra computer parts lying around to be used. 

I don't really understand the first thing you said about functionality, are you implying that a gaming computer is a console and not a "complete" computer? Also I am aware you can find unnecessarily speced overpriced graphics cards but that is beside the point. There are 1000 dollar special edition consoles but people choose not to buy them because they are pointless.  Like I said, a gaming computer can be built from scratch for 500 dollars with no free extra parts.

Don't know if there's already a thread for this, so here goes. What gaming consoles get more respect than they deserve? For me, it's Xbox 360, GameBoy Color, and the PSP.

How in the high name of all that is holy is the PSP remotely even close to being overrated? If anything it's one of the most underrated platforms ever

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 1

The Wii without a doubt, it is a good console don't get me wrong but it talked about in its early days like it was the greatest thing ever (it was even codenamed the Revolution). But when it finally did come out although it had a few good exclusives, most of its early games sucked in large part because the motion controls felt extremely awkward. After a couple of years the Wii had a decent console library but still fell well behind the PS2 and Xbox360 in 3rd party titles. The Wii went fairly strong for a while but then petered out big time in the last few years of its life while the PS3 and Xbox 360 kept pumping out games. What kept Nintendo afloat was the fact that it expanded its brand to casual gamers and families and appealed to many said gamers due to its low price, the motion controls did make a significant contribution however the claims that the Wii would change gaming forever were seriously overblown. Sony released the Playstation Move for the Playstation 3 and yet it is largely forgotten and Microsoft released the Kinnect for the Xbox 360 but it was just a passing fad.

I don't really understand the first thing you said about functionality, are you implying that a gaming computer is a console and not a "complete" computer? Also I am aware you can find unnecessarily speced overpriced graphics cards but that is beside the point. There are 1000 dollar special edition consoles but people choose not to buy them because they are pointless.  Like I said, a gaming computer can be built from scratch for 500 dollars with no free extra parts.

By full functionality I mean, or defined by other PC enthusiast include good editing and rendering. You wouldn't get that from a $500 build that can just play games. If so, it wouldn't be the greatest. Maybe it's just my own definition for a great computer. Mmm... it would be nice to have a $2,000 computer...

By full functionality I mean, or defined by other PC enthusiast include good editing and rendering. You wouldn't get that from a $500 build that can just play games. If so, it wouldn't be the greatest. Maybe it's just my own definition for a great computer. Mmm... it would be nice to have a $2,000 computer...

Ah, all right I get you now. Yeah, a budget PC built around gaming wont be much good for memory and processor intensive applications like video/photo editing/rendering. It can still however perform those tasks where a console cannot.

• Brohoof 1

All of the current and next gen consoles.....and I own a 360,and may eventually get a PS3 sometime.

The Xbox 360 for sure. It was a fun console, and had many great titles on it, but people seem to forget the fact that xbox live cost extra money, the UI was awful, and OH the lag during online matches in games.

The lag is partially because a lot of console based games arn't server based like most PC games are. Usually when you're playing Online on console, you're essentially playing on someone else's console. Hence the reason for "Host Migrations" during some games as the Host either can't hold the connection or they've quit the game. Since one of the players in the lobby has to "host" the game as a virtual server on their respective console. Where as on a n actual server there is no "Player host"There is however  server  admins/mods for said server to keep track of it.

I'd say the Nintendo 64 would be the most overrated. Sure, it had some great titles like Star Fox 64, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Banjo-Kazooie, and other titles from Rare and Nintendo, but that's about it. There are other consoles that I think have a better library (SNES, Gamecube, Wii), but they don't get much credit for it.

• Brohoof 2

I'll just go with the xbox 360. Everyone in my school talked about it throughout middle school and whenever I'd play a game I'd be like "I just don't get it."

I'll say that the n64 is a little overrated considering that fans say that like every game on that system was good. Uh no they weren't (looking at superman 64) but I still enjoy the n64.

The SEGA DREAMCAST. People love this machine so much and treat it like it defined gaming and was an absolute legend. It seems to just be loved because it died. I like it but not to the extent of other enthusiasts.

Edited by Absolute Zero

I hate to say it but the Wii and the WiiU, only reason I played on the WiiU was for Lego City Undercover, other than that, the controls were extremely messed up, and hard to get the hang of. The only other thing that the Wii and WiiU has going for them is the 'lack' of achievements. I seriously dislike games with achievements (Especially the near impossible to get ones), which sadly, is in most if not all games these days. What happened to games with good story lines, and focus on just playing the games instead of trying to get every single bloody achievement?

Then there's the faults with the Xbox 360 - Xbox 1 and the PS3 - PS4... the glitches! You would think after all these years and with such good technology and much more know how, games would be at least mostly glitch free.. NOPE!