Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Coco is overrated

Mywas

*shrug?* People like what they like. Let 'em be.

Personally, I've never been able to get too into background ponies. I know the fandom-driven tropes surrounding them, like Lyra being able to sit like a human or Derpy/Dr. Hooves shipping or whatnot, but I'm not terribly interested in them. (Except Derpy.) The only reason I like them is because of their design. And really, I think that's a lot of why other people like them. Derpy got some in-show recognition, but how much do you know about characters such as Bon Bon, Berry Punch or Vinyl Scratch in an in-canon context? Nothing, right? These ponies have barely had any lines in the show, if any at all, and are mainly used to fill up background or for the occasional gag. And yet, the fandom has completely taken to these certain background characters.

Then we have Coco Pommel. Coco Pommel was an actual character in an episode. She may only have had one appearance and not have had too terribly many lines, but she was an integral part of the story and had just enough lines to define her as a character. At least a little bit. I don't think we know that much about Coco's character, but definitely more than the likes of the most popular background characters. I say that if they are allowed to have that much popularity without people making a fuss about it, there's no reason Coco shouldn't gain popularity amongst fans.

• Brohoof 3

No she is not overrated imo she is better than Fluttershy :P

Comment of the century!

I don't really give a flying shit about her, but Fluttershy pisses me off.  Then again, everypony is better than Fluttershy. 

Edited by Deesinn

Fandom latches onto all sorts of things that are silly. All things considered, I think Coco is overrated, but she's like a new toy that people've got and interest in her will probably fade slowly to a more moderate level in time. I can understand her popularity better than Twilicane, Derpy or most other fandom fads. She's a fine character.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 2

I don't think we actually know enough about her character to decide whether she's overrated... and there's definitely not enough there to tell me she's a clone of Fluttershy.

Chances are she'll either fade away into the abyss of background characters small groups of people have obsessed about.  And maybe I'm looking in the wrong spots, but I haven't really seen much about her at all.  I mean there's fan-art but there's fan art of everything on the show.  Heck there's fan art of OC's why shouldn't there be a lot of fan art for all the canon characters.

She's been in one episode and had a few lines of dialogue, so it's hard to tell exactly what her character is.  If we went by only the first few lines of dialogue to completely establish every characters personality, the show would be pretty different I think.  Just because she got bossed around doesn't automatically make her a Fluttershy clone.  If that were the case, we'd be calling Snips and Snails Fluttershy clones after each encounter with Trixie.

I like Coco, and I hope we see her agian in the future.  Who knows, she might be at the equestria games, I'm sure someone needs to design the uniforms for Manehattan, lol.

This thread is going to be entirely opinion based, so there's no point in arguing who's opinion is "right" and "wrong"

to me, she's just "meh"

I don't find her cute really because i think her mane is awful looking. I like her colors though. She's kinda boring to me but oh well.

I wouldn't say she's overrated, but she did get a lot of attention for only being in part of one episode.

*slow pan over to Luna in the premiere of the series*  *aside glance to camera, perks eyebrow*

*slow pan over to Derpy in the premiere of the series*  *aside glance to camera, perks eyebrow*

Gee, imagine that... :huh: Surely, this has never happened before.

[opinion] She's cute, she's gentle and has very nice colors. What's there not to like? [/opinion]

Though honestly, why people are trying to force their opinions of *thing* being overrated? 

If you don't care about thing - maybe it should really get to you at all? From what I see - the first post just proves that Coco deserves some time in the limelight. 

Edited by LunarWave

Yeah she is a tad overrated but she does look like Hinata Hyuga, which is good. Also it took me like five minutes to realize that we were not talking about Coco from Fosters. XD

Edited by Super Derpy
  • Brohoof 1

Ehh, I can't understand what's big deal about her being liked by many people. It's matter of taste, I personally like her, she is cute, has great design, colours, voice (  :wub: ) and really deserves some love after what she did for Rarity. Don't act like it's a sin to love a character that is popular around fandom. We are not hipsters, we like what we like and popularity of character we like should really be last thing we should care about. There is no "overrated" character. There are just popular characters that many people like for some reasons. 

Besides how can You not like HER?! (of course don't take this question TOO seriously, I understand that not everyone likes her ;) )

coco_pommel_by_ceehoff-d70x8zl.png

:wub: !

• Brohoof 5

Coco was designed to be absolutely adorable - on the outside and on the inside. I think her adorableness helps a lot with her popularity. Time will tell if she plays more of a role on the show or is she a one-shot like so many other great characters.

Side note: Bring back Iron Will!!! He is the best one-shot character ever. Trixie used to be #1 until she showed up in "Magic Duel".

Aargh, the quote thing isn't working too well for me here, but in response to the pic of Fluttershy crying.
I think Fluttershy would be like, "Oh, it's okay. Coco is better than me."

• Brohoof 3

There are many ponies that are overrated, there are background ponies with less than five second screen time and no personality whatsoever yet they are zealously treated as the fandom's favorites.

What's weird is that people find Coco's design beautiful and pass up her:

tumblr_mywve3hVDV1rfy1eho1_500.png

She was the prettiest pony design of that episode imo and I don't even think the fandom gave her a name.

• Brohoof 4

Coco was designed to be absolutely adorable - on the outside and on the inside. I think her adorableness helps a lot with her popularity. Time will tell if she plays more of a role on the show or is she a one-shot like so many other great characters.

Side note: Bring back Iron Will!!! He is the best one-shot character ever. Trixie used to be #1 until she showed up in "Magic Duel".

Aargh, the quote thing isn't working too well for me here, but in response to the pic of Fluttershy crying.

I think Fluttershy would be like, "Oh, it's okay. Coco is better than me."

I second the Iron Will part.

All my feels here have a virtual hug i put it right here --> . 

That must suck missing so many episodes because season 4 has been good

Oh, rub it in my face a little more why don't you...  >_> 

I know Im missing it, I don't need to be told or reminded that Im missing it.  :blush:

Damn you... you-you bastard...!  :(