Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why no toys of Discord or King Sombra?

Castle Bleck

I don't know, maybe Hasbro doesn't think that they will earn enough money just by adding a villain favorite along with King Sombra and I don't see why either. Besides, Hasbro doesn't sell villain toys.

Edited by Scootalove

I thought the whole purpose of My Little Pony was to sell toys. Where's my Discord toy, dang it? I hope Hasbro makes some Discord toys in the future.

Hasbro does realize that there are a ton of adult men with credit cards who would probably buy these Sombra, and Discord toys right?

• Brohoof 1

I don't know, maybe Hasbro doesn't think that they will earn enough money just by adding a villain favorite along with King Sombra and I don't see why either. Besides, Hasbro doesn't sell villain toys.

I'm surprised there isn't one of Chyrssi

There are already ones of NMM and Chrysalis.

It's either because they're too costly to make, especially Discord,

or like Rockymoo said, villains just aren't pretty to look at, pretty little pink horses are. 

I think Funko wanted to make Discord, but the cost was too high...

The toys (and show) are marketed towards little girls, so maybe Hasbro thinks they won't sell as well. There aren't even that many toys of male characters at all. They did make Chrysalis and NMM though, so there might be a chance. 

Because what little girl would want to buy a toy of a giant walking animal mish-mash or a dark, armored stallion that only knows how to say "CRYSTAAALLL?" I mean, if you put a Discord and a Pinkie Pie plush in front of my friend's little sister, who do you think she'd pick?

The Pinkie Pie plush, of course. True, Discord and Sombra would be pretty cool, but they'd probably cost too much to make, and they wouldn't get the money back.

Hasbro makes toys for little girls, that's why their toys aren't nice and don't even look like the original character (Have you seen EG dolls? ugly!!  >_> ) you think that little girls would buy toys of Discord or King Sombra? No, they want pretty ponies, not nice characters

• Brohoof 2

Hasbro probably thinks that little girls will get confused when they see a toy marketed as My Little Pony, even though it's a draconequus. There also may be a cost issue. As for Sombra, I don't think they want little girls buying toys of an evil tyrant that enslaved an entire civilization consisting of thousands of innocent ponies. The bronies would buy it though, so I don't see too much of a problem with that. Sombra would make a cool toy anyway.

I bet it is because Hasbro thinks that little girls won't care about Discord or Sombra because they aren't "pretty pink ponies". That and as everyone else is saying, the costs. They made Nightmare Moon and Chrysalis though, so maybe a Discord figure is possible. We will just have to see.

I hate to agree with the thought that they just are not girly enough. but that's most likely true. Hasbro like most big company's Like to play it as safe as they can. while I am not positive that little girls would reject the non girly pony toys it is perceived as to much of a risk.

King Sombra...just no! Aren't all the toys they have cute and adowabull :wub:? What girl would want to comb King Sombra's dry retched mane? They'd be popular as toys if they were sold like action figures, or collectibles. Idk.

Like others have said I imagine it's because girls aren't going to buy Sombra to cuddle with at night.  As much as I'd love to believe Hasbro totally had me in mind when they came out with their stuffed animals they didn't.  And sadly that means not getting all the characters we want in toy form and not getting the highest quality things (since kids don't care about their dolls being show accurate).

Keep in mind that they have to sell toys that would appeal to the demographic audience, which in this case happens to be littlw girls.

But whether they would or not, my guess is that it will be sold along other ponies so it doesn't stick out too much.