Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was Luna more than Jealous of Celestia

TheMarkz0ne

The S4E1/2 episodes showed me something interesting about Celestia and Luna. You think the core reason why Luna rebelled is because she felt like a baby? I think it could be true, I know it was really her jealousy, but it seemed more than that. I mean Luna tried killing her older sister

Luna's jealousy is stemmed from her ego by being self-conceited. She is the equivalent of a deity in FIM and let her position go to her head. It's not unheard of for deities or even people in positions of power to act like children.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 4

She was always in Celestia's shadow, not only did her subjects enjoy Celestia's sun over her moon also that her ego came not only from jealous but spite and envy from her subjects loving Celestia more than her.

As the younger, well youngest, sibling, i always lived in my brother's shadows. I want people to see me for who i am, not as my brothers' little brother. So i assume this is also a reason behind Luna's anger back in the day. She wanted to feel equal in the eyes of her subjects as Celestia

She was a spoiled brat, expected to be treated like a god, and threw a tantrum like a raging child when she didn't get what she wanted. She probably would have calmed down after a bit if the Nightmare hadn't corrupted her, though, I doubt she'd try to kill Celestia so much as lead a coup before the Nightmare came in

• Brohoof 1

Im going to assume MANY of those that have posted here are either an only child or the older sibiling. They don't truly understand how it feels to live in some else's shadow and being considered inferior to the elder sibling. Thats how Luna felt, yeah she might have gotten over it, but the point is, she started down that path because of how everyone treated her and her night

Edited by Spartan
  • Brohoof 2

@@Spartan,

Nope, I'm the younger sibling and Luna was acting like a whiny brat. I wouldn't be surprised if her childhood consisted of "WAAA! Pay attention to me!" 

Even after being locked up for a thousand years, her ego hadn't diminished

As for living in someone's shadow, those are pretty high standards. "Oh no, ponies like me slightly less than the other princess"

It's part of being a diarchy

Edited by Evil Dragon Master
  • Brohoof 1

Seems to me that Luna acted out of an existential crisis than jealousy. No pony payed attention to her work. She felt she wasn't being appreciated or respected. What's the point of doing your job if no pony is ever going to complement your work or even thank you for it? She didn't want to be ignored or forgotten. Turning into nightmare moon was pretty much her going on strike and protesting over her unfair working conditions. 

I could only imagine what went through her head once she returned though. To come back home after a thousand years and learn that not only did no pony miss you, not only were you vilified for taking a stand, that Celestia not only kept doing her job and getting the same old praise for it, but that she was doing your job too. The one role, the one purpose you had in life, the one position you prided yourself in, the same duty you put so much time and effort in, and it could be done by somepony else? I'd be heartbroken. What's the point of even staying? What's the point of even existing if my big sister could do both jobs? The really sad part is that MLP doesn't explain or elaborate on any of this. It's like Luna's grievances 1000 years ago never happened. 

• Brohoof 1

@@Denim&Venom,

When people go on strike, they don't go on homicidal rampages, cackling like a lunatic. As for Luna not being missed, I think that Celestia wiped her from history deliberately so that she wouldn't have to hear the rumors that Luna was evil. At least with Nightmare Moon Celestia could somewhat think it wasn't Luna they were mocking

• Brohoof 1

I think she could be more than jealous, she was seriously feeling left out of the spotlight when we heard her words near the end of episode 1 in season 4. If we look deeper into the flashback in the season 4 premiere, Luna has been under Celestia's shadow ever since her elder sister let the fame of her bringing the Day to Equestria go to her head. Luna purposed to have longer nights so that she and Celestia could have equal credit but she was dismissed slong with her proposals as Celestia continued to ravel herself in her glory, thus making her pay the most terrible price of her life. When Luna turned into Nightmare Moon, it was by her sister's own decisions to forget about Luna and ultimately banish her for the next millenia, leaving her in complete loneliness for the following 1000 years of her life until her sister's return.

Even after she returned from her dark path, Luna still retains her darkest memories of that day even after she participated in the Summer Sun Celebration and got the respect she finally deserved. I have a feeling that the second time around, when she does trek down her darkest path once again, Celestia might not be able to save her a second time.

Unfortunately we don't know much about how Equestria was all those years ago. I can't really fault Luna for feeling left out/jealous though. Not blaming Celestia per se, but it's not really a fair system, is it?

@@TwilightDreamer,

Lovely head canon....but it's just that, a headcanon . When did Celestia let fame go to her head? When was Luna supposed to have longer nights? As for Celestia forgetting Luna, bullshit, she was crying as she banished Nightmare Moon. She had no other choice, the Elements didn't work with Celestia very well

Again, you have no evidence that Luna is going to turn evil again. If she tries, Discord will flatten her with a snap of his fingers or the Elements will take her down

• Brohoof 1

Well, if we check Luna's personality deeper... her values are very important to her. And she's not the kind of person who would go corrupt because of power, she always think about the others before herself. And she hates injustices.

I don't know, maybe Celestia crushed her values, or maybe she was what we call Molestia? We'll see! ^_^

Fluttershy at the GGG is a close idea of what Luna went through. FS takes care of animals just like Luna does with ponies. Notice how Fluttershy goes over the edge when the animals don't give her that affection she wanted, so FS snaps to the point of drastic actions like trying to kidnap and demand the animals to love her.

Edited by Singe