Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Am I the only one who's disturbed by what's going on with Spike?

A Talking Dragon

In the past I've never been bothered by many of Spike's misfortunes, or him missing out on certain events in season 1 and 2, as I saw the former as him bring a lot on it himself (Spike floating on the lake in Winter Wrap Up) and the latter as the mane 6 having a social life that's different than his as older females (like him not being around in Sonic Rainboom).

But in Dragon Quest, when Spike hung the photo at the end with him taped to the picture, I was bothered for the first time: until then I saw Spike missing out on Twilight's birthday as an oversight by the writer. After all, Twilight is quite important to Spike, and it's unlikely for him not to be there for her on her special day. He would want to go. That this photo was hung is an acknowledgement by the characters themselves that Spike didn't attend the party. There was no reason given for him not being there and he felt a need to include himself in the photo after the fact. If the show calls attention to Spike not attending Twilight's birthday party, then it calls attentions that no one else mentions or bothered about Spike in Sweet and Elite. And that is troubling in a show that stresses Friendship.

In season 3 I notices that things were starting to go downhill for Spike ---

Season 3 ep. 1
- Twilight hits Spike with a spell after he tries to calm her down.           
- Rarity lets Spike carry things that are too heavy for him.

S3 ep.9
-  No one other than AJ expresses concern that Spike would have to serve someone forever. Rarity and Rainbow even shows delight at the idea.
- Suddenly Spike has no freewill.

S3 ep. 11
- Spike finally had a pet and a friend like the other mane 6, but Peewee is written off screen for some reason.
- The show explicitly states that Spike is not invited to the Kingdom he helped saved. No reason is given and he's clearly upset about it. Rainbow even states that Spike "would of had fun" with them.

- Thoughout the epsiode Spike is conned by adult characters.
- Spike is punished at the end of the episode again, even as he already took a beating during it.

--- but the situation wasn't as bad in season 3 as Spike had his ups too, mainly saving the Crystal Empire, helping to find the real Pinkie Pie and the book to save her, and saving AJ's life.

But in season 4 there just seems to be no breaks or reasoning for the bad treatment on Spike:

S4 ep.1:
- Celestia doesn't even acknowledge Spike when she says Twilight doesn't need to bow.
- Twilight doesn't teleport Spike with her and he smashes head first into the glass. Not even a sorry for leaving him behind.

S4 ep 2:

- Spike is send down several flights of stairs.

S4 ep.3
- Twilight doesn't acknowledge Spike's fears or gives him support despite the lesson being brought up before and in episode. He's clearly scared out of his mind and is only there for her.
- Pinkie sends Spike flying across the room. No one checks to see if he's ok.

S4 ep. 6
- All of the positives that Spike has done in the past (and there's a decent list too) is ignored and he's given a status untrue to his character for the sake of the plot.

S4 ep. 8
- No one brothers to aid Spike in carrying all the bags despite everyone being bigger, stronger, and having other advantages over him (magic).

- The one act of kindness to Spike this epsiode is wasted when his food is stolen.

S4 ep.11

- Twilight yacks the letter from Spike, causing him to fall on his face.
- The door is smashed on top of him with a pony's weight. Not even a "sorry" is mentioned.

Around the time of Rarity Takes Manehattan I just couldn't take it anymore. There's a lesson in RTM about not taking advantage of your friends and Spike's situation just stood out to me as hypocritical. I couldn't enjoy the episode as I was so disturbed.

It almost like there's this culture of inner circle/out of circle treatment by the mane 6, and Spike isn't really their friend. Now it's not even acknowledged when Spike gets hurt or is in pain. No one asks if he's ok. There is no fine line as there once was. Does anything good happen to Spike anymore? What's the point of him working so hard in life or being a good friend if none of this matters in the grandness of his personal karma? Once more Spike is seen by many in the fandom as a child-like character, and one without a real family. That makes a lot of these misfortunes even more disturbing.

I know some will think I'm overreacting. And trust me that I tried. I truly did try to ignore/justify what's been going on with Spike for a while. You have no idea. But I've been denying and hoping for something different for too long

I just can't take it anymore! Spike has always been one of my two favorite characters in the show, and he'll never leave the top ranks there. He's been an amazing character throughout the mlp generations and others should check out the impact he had there. But the point has come where I wish they would just write Spike out of MLP rather than him be continually treated like this. To say this in itself is extremely painful for me.

Making this topic is something I didn't want to do, but I really need to get this off my chest. So, am I the only one who's bothered by what's been going on with Spike?

-

Edited by A Talking Dragon
  • Brohoof 22

I've seen some people not appreciate how Spike has been treated lately, but I did see how he has been treated and I don't think he deserves any of this at all. I think it's a pattern of some sort.

In some respects, I actually kind of agree. On top of all that, Twilight is probably one of the worst parent/guardians I've ever seen. Of the top of my head:

-She lets him eat cupcakes out of a bin which poisoned the entire town

-She lets him walk around eating icecream out of a tub (even though she knows what will happen - namely, a belly ache)

-She doesn't counsel him over his crush on Rarity even though Rarity is far older than Spike (making it both impractical and potentially socially inappropriate)

There's probably more, but I can't think of them now.

• Brohoof 2

Could the writers be doing this on purpose though? Like perhaps he will get another episode this season that will go into a little detail and explain things. I dunno I have hope that he will have a greater purpose and that this is going on for a reason :D

• Brohoof 4

I can honestly see where your concerns are coming from. I will be honest and say I didn't really pick up on it right away. I can see why you would be upset especially since he is one of your favorites. But I don't think the show is trying to write him off. They did an entire episode showing that spike is amazing and useful the way he is regardless of not having any powers or anything. I don't think they would do that if they weren't planning on keeping him around. It could be that maybe they are just trying to bring in some comedy and are going to far. They could be building up to an episode where spike has enough and leaves and they have to get him back. It could just be an oversight. But I trust the writers and I don't think they would be trying to get rid of spike or trying to put him down without good reason. Despite everything he is an essential character in his own way.

Brony Curious mentions the same thing during his Power ponies review. We can't Spike seriously in that episode because the writers don't take him seriously.

I want to care about spike. I want him to be a genuinely interesting character, but the writers make him annoyingly unlikable one moment, and a punching running gag bag the next. This maybe just me, but he also doesn't seem like a fully realized child character like the CMC, and therefore less relatible and less believable, making me not take him seriously or really want to pay that much attention to him. 

• Brohoof 1

Brony Curious mentions the same thing during his Power ponies review. We can't Spike seriously in that episode because the writers don't take him seriously.

I want to care about spike. I want him to be a genuinely interesting character, but the writers make him annoyingly unlikable one moment, and a punching running gag bag the next. This maybe just me, but he also doesn't seem like a fully realized child character like the CMC, and therefore less relatible and less believable, making me not take him seriously or really want to pay that much attention to him. 

While i respect tommy oliver immensely

immeasurably,

that's a cop out.

Under that logic i'm not permitted to respect na na From elfien lied or any of the God for saken cast from that show.

I'm not aloud to like matsuda from Death note because he's the joke?

No sir.  I don't agree.

Hell I've known a dbz fan who liked krillin, and he's the spike of that show.

I think so many fans talk about the main cast as friends in our hearts, I see no reason why that courtesy can't be extended to spike.

He's unfortunate, and cursed,

and for that reason most of all is why he needs our fan support ^^.

Yes! Thank you for posting this, because it pretty much covers how I've been feeling. Especially Power Ponies sort of acknowledging that he's been getting poor treatment by the writers, and then going right back to mistreating him in RTM. Honestly his character role seems closer to a slave than a full fledged family member. Definitely the most off-putting aspect of the show.

I really hope things get better for him before the end of the season.

Edited by dekutree64
  • Brohoof 1

Is it just me, or has Spike become more absent as season 4 progresses? Even when he is present in a scene, it seems like he is either ignored or used for a cheap joke. I understand that a part of his character is comic relief, but the degree of abuse he gets is disheartening, and for a show like MLP, disturbing. On the other hand, this treatment is a good part of why I like Spike. For all of this negative treatment he keeps on going, never stops trying. Spike's role may make me identify with him to a degree, but at the same time I would like to see him be given a fair chance in the show.

• Brohoof 4

Not so much disturbed as disheartened. Spike could be a great character if they would stop making him the butt of every joke.

I was hoping that episode of power ponies would do that... but alas.. I was wrong

• Brohoof 2

Most of the examples have equivalents for many other characters (every time Twilight lifts/stops another character with her magic, Pinkie climbing over other charcters ect.) and like pointed out; he's not forced into doing anything.

As for physical slapstick: Well, dude can bath in lava, I think he can handle a flight of stairs.

• Brohoof 2

I am hating rarity more every time I think about spike. His crush shouldn't be encouraged, but it shouldn't be used for personal gain either. And before you rarity fans stab me with a needle, look carefully at rarity takes manhattan. The only reason she had spike come was to carry her bags. I know there is a method to "comic relief," but this is going farther than it should, and even after the moral, he just keeps getting trashed, by both rarity, his crush, and twilight, his guardian! I think this is going to be leading up to something more climactic than power ponies.

• Brohoof 4

It is hard to take Spike seriously when his character straight out says, "I'm Twilight's slave." He will never be seen on an equal footing with the Mane 6. Even some of his dragon natures are frowned upon and he's forced to conform to the Pony ideal way.

I think the biggest problems are that the writers...

•  ... have quite different conceptions of his personality. Clumsy fool, selfish brat, tool for comic relief in some episodes, knowing and caring friend, reliable assisstant and overall sympathic in other episodes. I actually want to know how much they talk about stuff like that when they plan future episodes. Sure, a character cannot be the same all the time. Different situations cause people to react in different ways and multidimensional characterization is always a good thing. But there's a difference between different traits that are consistent and such that are simply contradictory.

•  ... don't know what to actually do with him. Development and so on. Some of his episodes already feel like cheap excuses for what they're doing to him in others.

•  ... don't know where to draw the line between actually working comic relief and portraying a character as the butt monkey, or reducing a character to one trait. Happens to several characters in the show sometimes, but it happens very often to Spike. Only because something is part of who the character is, it doesn't mean you have to only and massively show that one characteristic when they're not in the focus of an episode. Comic relief can work. Can. But if one character is just in an episode for the sake of putting badly executed comic relief in it (like the door-thing in Three's a Crowd), I can't find an argument to justify that because it's not something anyone could actually like, I'd say.

He's my favorite character. Because I see the Spike from Lesson Zero, Secret of my Excess and even the one from Dragon Quest and Equestria Girls when I look at him. that's the character I like, I identify with. I want to know and see what will happen to him in the next episodes. How he develops. Not how he's just... well, what some of the writers obviously see in him.

• Brohoof 5

He's my favorite character. Because I see the Spike from Lesson Zero, Secret of my Excess and even the one from Dragon Quest and Equestria Girls when I look at him.

That, much that. Spike is just full of story potential: His relationship with Rarity, potentially outliving a his friends, his mind not matching up with his corporeal age......

The main problem is that most of these can't be properly tackled in the show due to those pesky little girls who insist on watching.

The only reason she had spike come was to carry her bags

How do you know that?

It is hard to take Spike seriously when his character straight out says, "I'm Twilight's slave."
Why? Because between the two he does the housework? Do you consider housewives/stay at home dads to be slaves?

Twilight and Spike have a complex relationship, somewhat similar to Bruce Wayne and Alfred: Technically one is subservient to the other, but in reality they are pretty much family.

Even some of his dragon natures are frowned upon and he's forced to conform to the Pony ideal way.

Again, he has experienced dragon behaviour, decided to reject it and chooses to identify himself as a pony.

• Brohoof 4

I usually don't mind Spike abuse, but you point out some interesting things. I mean, even when Spike had needles pricked in him for Rarity, Twilight showed a pretty decent amount of concern for her little dragon assistant.

Now I just feel bad for the poor guy :(

Why? Because between the two he does the housework? Do you consider housewives/stay at home dads to be slaves?

Twilight and Spike have a complex relationship, somewhat similar to Bruce Wayne and Alfred: Technically one is subservient to the other, but in reality they are pretty much family.

Again, he has experienced dragon behaviour, decided to reject it and chooses to identify himself as a pony.

You can't compare Bruce Wayne and Alfred to TS and Spike. Alfred has history with Bruce's parents and chose to be a butler.

Spike was born and raised into his position to be in Twilight's servitude.

Edited by Singe

Spike works for free for TS since their is no evidence of him getting paid

He has enough money (presumably provided by Celestia) to afford the eating gems on a regular basis, has evidently access to crystal growing equipment, visits the spa and has a whole lot of clothing (which can be considered luxury items). Plus, you know, he got paid in Sidekicks.

He was born and groomed into his position to be Twilight's slave.
Again, do you have any concrete examples that indicate he has no choice in the matter?

I know that he's underrated in season 4 and the majority of season 3 but in my mind, since he had accepted his friends and Twilight as his actual family, he's been given less-than-expected treatment from the writers for a reason ever since Dragon Quest in my mind.

If the writers are downgrading his character for a reason, then there should be an episode in which the the Mane 6 and everypony else realize that they've been taking advantage of Spike's friendship and relationship with Twilight and crush for Rarity  and that everything he's done for them was all in taking him for granted and that they never appreciated him for his services.

The writers could just get to the story that everyone wants to know, the origin of Spike's egg. Actually tell how Celestia acquired the egg and show his parents. It should be a major twist that shakes his foundation like the egg was poached by a criminal and Celestia acquired it through a criminal bust.

• Brohoof 1

@silverwisp the bard

Think about it. Is there really a reason that he would come? Twilight doesn't often bring him on her trips, and didn't care when rarity piled bags on him. They weren't bringing him to have a good time, no one really paid him any attention, except rarity who piled bag on him.