Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Am I the only one who's disturbed by what's going on with Spike?

A Talking Dragon

I am hating rarity more every time I think about spike. His crush shouldn't be encouraged, but it shouldn't be used for personal gain either. And before you rarity fans stab me with a needle, look carefully at rarity takes manhattan. The only reason she had spike come was to carry her bags. I know there is a method to "comic relief," but this is going farther than it should, and even after the moral, he just keeps getting trashed, by both rarity, his crush, and twilight, his guardian! I think this is going to be leading up to something more climactic than power ponies.

Oh please, Rarity was being more nice to him than ponies usually are, actually letting him come to the show, and getting him food.  And he likely offered to help her, considering how he is.  Unless we get a scene where Rarity says "Oh Spike, come so you can carry my bags!" which we didn't, we don't know if that was the intention.  Besides, the fact she invited him at all, even letting him come to the show and buying food for him, which is much better treatment than he usually gets (Like not being invited to Twilight's own birthday.

In some respects, I actually kind of agree. On top of all that, Twilight is probably one of the worst parent/guardians I've ever seen. Of the top of my head:

-She lets him eat cupcakes out of a bin which poisoned the entire town

-She lets him walk around eating icecream out of a tub (even though she knows what will happen - namely, a belly ache)

-She doesn't counsel him over his crush on Rarity even though Rarity is far older than Spike (making it both impractical and potentially socially inappropriate)

There's probably more, but I can't think of them now.

-Considering he was enjoying them just fine, and his diet consist of gems that ponies can't eat, she probably figured it wouldn't be a problem for him.  After all, he's a dragon, he has higher tolerance for a lot of things.

-She was panicking, and also sleep deprived, so she wasn't even thinking straight.  Remember this was when she thought it was a good idea to stop time, or go back in time when she should have known what would happen.  

-It's really not that unusual for boys to have crushes on girls older than them.  

• Brohoof 2

http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/687250-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic I think this would be an awesome Spike episode. I could picture this maybe happening after Simple Ways if it ends with Rarity being taken (sorry for the spoiler, if you're on EQD you already know probably) by Trenderhoof or Twilight angrily bursts out at him and starts a fight which ends with Spike running away and coming back, well, like that. Or both events happen together. Either way it'd be great character development.

I do feel bad for the little guy everytime he gets hurt.

Most of the times, he seems like the punching bag of the group for comedic or rude purposes.

I guess since he's a dragon, which can support more pain than ponies, it doesn't bother him too much I guess, but even then, I hope he gets some slack for season 4.

• Brohoof 1

• 8 years later...

Rarity is basically gr//ming Spike. She confirms she knew about his crush on her since basically day one, and even though she's too old for him, she shows she's not above the spike abuse the narrative paints under and will force him to be her errand boy and basically slave. In his birthday episode she even manipulated him into giving up his birthday gift to himself.

The fact she even freaks out when he gets a gf his age and moved on from his crush on her is just 💀

Even if it's not NSFW gr//ming it will weirds me out and I do NOT like. Ive seen people try to counter this claim by sayings it's not NSFW, but like... It's still gr//ming. 

22 minutes ago, Horrorem said:

The fact she even freaks out when he gets a gf his age and

I believe that the individual writers didn't communicate about what Spike was all about. Spike was growing up in Season 8, from being a baby, but all of a sudden, he went back into being in love with Rarity in the Special Best Gift Ever, to getting a new relationship and a new story later on, to fall back on the old behavior of falling for Rarity again :angry:

Or something in that order :mlp_icwudt:

The problem here is that Spike was used by not just Rarity, but even by Twilight (in the first seasons) as being her "help". Spike didn't have any value and was used as a joke character. And of course, the new writers who entered the series late, just read or watched the first episodes and assumed he was still that joke character. Most likely anyways.

7 minutes ago, Splashee said:

I believe that the individual writers didn't communicate about what Spike was all about. Spike was growing up in Season 8, from being a baby, but all of a sudden, he went back into being in love with Rarity in the Special Best Gift Ever, to getting a new relationship and a new story later on, to fall back on the old behavior of falling for Rarity again :angry:

Or something in that order :mlp_icwudt:

The problem here is that Spike was used by not just Rarity, but even by Twilight (in the first seasons) as being her "help". Spike didn't have any value and was used as a joke character. And of course, the new writers who entered the series late, just read or watched the first episodes and assumed he was still that joke character. Most likely anyways.

Honestly... Spike does have value... And kids these days just don't have it. But that doesn't mean I like spike.

And I don't think he's a joke character... More of a clumsy one.. like kids are. clumsy. 

On 2014-01-29 at 3:40 AM, A Talking Dragon said:

. That this photo was hung is an acknowledgement by the characters themselves that Spike didn't attend the party.

ouch :( yeah, the writers kept forgetting about Spike so it can come off like that. I think they got better in the later seasons and there were also plenty of Spike centric eps that made it clear that he's valued

interesting thread - thanks for raising it from the dead @Horrorem :P