Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has Pinkie been flanderized?

Forlong

In season 4, it seems that Pinkie is being flanderized.  What is flanderization?  Here's a discription:

The act of taking a single (often minor) action or trait of a character within a work and exaggerating it more and more over time until it completely consumes the character. Most always, the trait/action becomes completely outlandish and it becomes their defining characteristic.

Source: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flanderization

Sufficient time has gone by, so we have to ask if minor traits of Pinkie have been exaggerated.  First, we have to establish what Pinkie's character is.

Pinkie is hyperactive, excitable, and outgoing, often speaking and acting in non sequiturs. She warmly welcomes new faces. True to the element of laughter she represents, she loves to make ponies smile and laugh.

Source: http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Pinkie_Pie

Those are the core traits of Pinkie's being.  Let's look at her behavior in the past few episodes.

Princess Twilight Sparkle

Sending an envelope filled with confetti to Twilight and using a coloring book like a frickin' child.

Castle Mane-ia

Banging her head on a bell for fun and having a "play the organ in a scary mansion" party. :blink:

Daring Don't

Having a random party and concluding that A.K. Yearling is a slob based on the state of her house.

Flight to the Finish (NO APPEARANCE)

Power Ponies

Running at top speed and pulling pranks on ponies.

Bats!

Ganging up on Fluttershy with the others and holding stuff with her mane.

Rarity Takes Manehattan

She was in that episode?

Pinkie Apple Pie

Let off an air of positivity through tough times.

Rainbow Falls

Being a cheerleader.

Three's a Crowd

Being distracted by balloons. :okiedokielokie:

There seems to be some attempt to simplify her and make her into an idiot.  Oddly, the new writers seem to be the ones writing her correctly.  You'd think the more experienced writers would know better.  It's not a huge problem yet, because episode focusing on Pinkie have had her in character.  Let's hope this problem doesn't continue.

• Brohoof 7

She's a complicated character, and I thank the writers for attempting to work with her, but really, she was like this since last season. She went from being naive and optimistic to just being the randumb character. That's why it should always be kept in mind that she's a tough to write, "Party of One" was a good episode that got a little more deep into her personality, but it's hard to recreate something like that, especially with how little they have to work with.

Pinkie is at her best in her own episodes, while on the rest, ehh, not so much. Hopefully they'll give us more things from Pinkie's perspective, rather than just her being random xL

• Brohoof 1

I don't know if flanderization is the word I would use to describe this but I hear ya, I feel that Pinkie Pie has been very inconsistent since season 3 but I have to admit that they toned down her unnecesary idiocy. Using her for 'funny' gags only is affecting her characterization and I hate it.

I loved Pinkie in Pinkie Apple Pie from head to toe, because she was literally INSANE, and she didn't have to do much, her facial expression were so funny and somewhat creepy. That's what I like about her, she's just not the hyperactive, overly happy, bubbly and jumpy 2-dimensional character of a cartoon. She has more depth, because she IS smart and clever even if she doesn't look like it.

She's a complicated character, and I thank the writers for attempting to work with her, but really, she was like this since last season. She went from being naive and optimistic to just being the randumb character. That's why it should always be kept in mind that she's a tough to write, "Party of One" was a good episode that got a little more deep into her personality, but it's hard to recreate something like that, especially with how little they have to work with.

Pinkie is at her best in her own episodes, while on the rest, ehh, not so much. Hopefully they'll give us more things from Pinkie's perspective, rather than just her being random xL

IMO Pinkie was BRILLIANT in Green isn't your color and she was just a supporting character, but that was waaay back in season 1, I guess that does not count.

• Brohoof 3

Since we have the new addition of new writers to the show, that could explain why we have more writers who write Pinkie Pie differently to the point where some say that she's flanderized. I wouldn't use the word flanderized, it's just that with the new writers in the show this season it's hard to consistently write Pinkie the same way as before.

Honestly, I was thinking the same thing after Rarity Takes Manehattan, but with Rarity instead. I know that isn't Pinkie related, but whatever. Yay for starting my post with a digression. Pinkie seems to be taking the form of Applejack's character in the first part of the show, where she didn't really have as many traits as other ponies. Pinkie just isn't as exciting anymore, as her party animal character is kinda getting a bit carried away, and the writers haven't incorporated quirks or anything new besides Pinkie Apple Pie. Who knows- maybe we'll be surprised with another Pinkamenia twist?

Edited by Red Shaylon

I think i read somewhere that actually intended her to be crazy and insane from the beginning, but toned it back a little in season 1 because they thought she might be to much. That would be her getting loonier a shift towards her intended characterization rather than flanderizing it. 

I think that, perhaps, if this is true then it is solely in Season 4 that the completely turns into a nonsensical idiot. Season 3, however, was more of the slope that got too slippery.

In Seasons 1 and 2, Pinkie was more... whimsical! She was fun, delightful, outgoing, friendly, and overall a very positive influence on her friends and the rest of the ponies in Ponyville.

We see her in Season 1 as a pony who lives up to her element of laughter. I don't think there was much character development for any of the ponies in that season because it felt more like Season 1 episodes were meant to design/flesh out what we should be expecting from each pony. For Pinkie Pie, we see in most episodes that she's going to be a fun-loving character. Even in "Griffon the Brush-Off" where she's being bullied yet no one believes her, we see that instead of trying to exact revenge on Gilda she throws her a party like she does for every new face in Ponyville. And in "Party of One" we obviously see that the most popular has insecurities. I wouldn't so much as call it a "dark side" of Pinkie, more like an over-reaction which is classic to her personality. Good or bad, she gets an idea and she rolls with it. The fact that she automatically assumed that her friends didn't like her parties and didn't want to be her friends anymore shows that behind closed doors, Pinkie Pie is insecure about herself and possibly has low self-esteem. It also sort of hints the idea that even though Pinkie is friends with everyone in Ponyville, she's never had best friends like the other five.

In Season 2 we have great episodes that feature Pinkie as not so much a main character but still a huge part in the show, like "Lunar Eclipsed". We learn that Pinkie Pie, while being slightly insensitive, finds enjoyment in more than just balloons and parties. She tags along with the fillies and colts because she's just a little one at heart; she also teaches them that in a proper setting, being scared can be fun! So long as no pony is in any real danger, a little bit of excitement now and then is kind of healthy. One of my most favourite episodes is "Baby Cakes" because it shows that Pinkie Pie may seem like an eccentric party animal, she's actually intelligent and responsible. It naturally would be tough for an Earth Pony to care for two small babies that are not within her own kind, she does her absolute best! And it turns out just fine in the end. No one died :P . Even with "A Friend In Deed" we see that even Pinkie Pie has a lot to learn about friendship which is perfect for a character like her who seems to be over powered in the friend department! XD

Season 3... is where it all kind of goes downhill for Pinkie. After the show's classic two-part season opener, we start off with "Too Many Pinkie Pies". An episode that was slightly detrimental to the enjoyment of Pinkie Pie... if you found her annoying before, having an episode with, like, 100 of her is going to make you scream. However! There was good in this episode! After all, when Pinkie realizes that her plan has gone awry and that she might lose her friends in the process, she becomes complacent and depressed. Not so depressed her hair flattens, but sad enough that she's still not considered the real Pinkie since she is, in fact, sad. Anyway, the rest of the episodes kind of just exclude Pinkie a bit and show her as an over-hyper but good friend. She doesn't have any sort of character development after "Too Many Pinkie Pies" and isn't even seen as a main character until the second-last episode.

I obviously won't delve into Season 4 since it's not complete yet :P But so far? I agree. Pinkie has sort of become a loud and idiotic character who seems to be more about spontaneity and randomness than being a fun, good friend.

• Brohoof 2

Those are the core traits of Pinkie's being.  Let's look at her behavior in the past few episodes.

Sending an envelope filled with confetti to Twilight and using a coloring book like a frickin' child.

Castle Mane-ia

Banging her head on a bell for fun and having a "play the organ in a scary mansion" party. :blink:

Daring Don't

Having a random party and concluding that A.K. Yearling is a slob based on the state of her house.

Flight to the Finish (NO APPEARANCE)

Power Ponies

Running at top speed and pulling pranks on ponies.

Bats!

Ganging up on Fluttershy with the others and holding stuff with her mane.

Rarity Takes Manehattan

She was in that episode?

Pinkie Apple Pie

Let off an air of positivity through tough times.

Rainbow Falls

Being a cheerleader.

Three's a Crowd

Being distracted by balloons. :okiedokielokie:

There seems to be some attempt to simplify her and make her into an idiot.  Oddly, the new writers seem to be the ones writing her correctly.  You'd think the more experienced writers would know better.  It's not a huge problem yet, because episode focusing on Pinkie have had her in character.  Let's hope this problem doesn't continue.

Part of her mission in life is making others happy.  By sending that letter, she cheered Twilight up.

Daring Don't

She wanted an after birthday party for Gummy and forgot her own.  And remember in season 1 her solution to almost everything was parties, so it's not really out of character for her to throw a random party.  And...what does her concluding Yearling was a slob have to do with flanderization?  It's a perfectly logical conclusion to come to, based on the evidence around her house (And yes, there are people that messy).

Power Ponies

...I don't get your problem.  She plays pranks, that's been established, and she knew what was going on throughout the whole thing.  Even when she jumped in the comic, that wasn't out of character, that was a callback.

Bats!

Everypony was "ganging up" on Fluttershy, and while I do think she was likely just singing along, that's in character, and Pinkie does have a tendency to totally not see if somepony is distressed at being the expense of her fun (Luna Eclipsed comes to mind).  Also, she knew what was going on, and was trying to be helpful throughout the episode, which was very in character.  Even panicking at the sight of Flutterbat wasn't out of character, as she had done things like that before.  So I personally found her completely in character.  And what does grabbing with her hair have to do with anything?

Pinkie Apple Pie

Eh, you could kinda argue either way whether or not it's in character.

Rainbow Falls

...What does being a cheerleader have to do with anything?

• Brohoof 2

Not entirely. There are still times she shows some depth and emotion and still cares deeply for her friends. Unfortunately, these moments have been paired with her being a comic relief idiot.

Plus, it's we've had a bunch several times this season--and will likely have more--where all of the Mane 6were an episode where some of them didn't get to really do anything (Rainbow Dash and, well, Pinkie, in "Three's a Crowd" being the most recent example). So it's not just her.

And it should be noted that she's at her best when the episode is about her. So hopefully "Pinkie Pride" will show she's still got it :)

Correction she was a complicated character.

She went from my top 3 to least liked,

and it wasn't an over night thing over,

I don't need to be told pinkie's gotten annoying,

but it's sure helps to know i'm not the only one she's taken a dip in personality.

Again Pinkie apple pie is made of epic, angel dust, and happiness.

Me and that pinkie get along great and the season intro.

everything else?

sorry pink your 6th best this season.

I say no. Right from her very first appearance, she's been completely over the top. In episodes like Feeling Pinkie Keen and Pinkie Apple Pie they dialed her back slightly, while amping up other character's craziness, so she SEEMED to be "making progress." But those are more the exception than the rule.

Once everyone sees the new episode you'll see that she hasn't been flanderized. Its definitely the best Pinkie Pie episode and they portray her character perfectly

• Brohoof 2

@Doctor XFizzle,

I heard a rumor that CS will even have his own theme song:

Just got done watching the episode. *Spoiler maybe*

This may be a spoiler for some but, yes Weird Al's character of course sings, but during the credits all the songs were written by the Daniel Ingram, so Weird Al didn't didn't do his own songs, all he did was sing from lyrics given to him, but it still was pretty epic. I knew something felt off about his singing, and it was mainly that he was singing someone else's work, though it did sound like Weird Al had some fun with his character's dialog during the non-singing parts.

Pinkie Pie isn't my favorite but it was really annoying when she was coloring in the book and was distracted by a freaking balloon. Like, really? Seriously? Sure, she's silly, but she's not honestly going to sit there and draw in a coloring book while Equestria is in danger. Pinkie Pie, the same pony who threw a surprise party for a griffon who almost killed her twice and who was mean to her and her friends and who found the book on the Elements of Harmony before anyone else is honestly going to sit there and color in a child's book?

I'm annoyed and what they've done with Pinkie Pie this season. :|

Pinkie Pie has always been my favorite from the beginning.  I have no problem with how she has been depicted this season.  I don't really see how the instances of random silly stuff in the current season are different from the random silly stuff in previous seasons.

• Brohoof 2

Pinkie Pie has always been my favorite from the beginning.  I have no problem with how she has been depicted this season.  I don't really see how the instances of random silly stuff in the current season are different from the random silly stuff in previous seasons.

Glad I'm not the only one who's not seeing the 'horrifyingly obvious' downward streak with her character. Yay.

• Brohoof 2

I had noticed this exact problem with Pinkie being exaggerated needlessly. I like the way she behaves in "Feeling Pinkie Keen", "Baby Cakes" (IMO the best Pinkie Pie episode, period) and "A Friend In Deed". I hope they return to that Pinkie style more frequently; in some of the newer episodes, she acts as if she's been doing coke.

Once everyone sees the new episode you'll see that she hasn't been flanderized. Its definitely the best Pinkie Pie episode and they portray her character perfectly

I really hope so.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think flanderization is what many are seeing. I think what we're seeing with Pinkie is inconsistencies in her character between episodes akin to that of Spike. The inconsistencies are natural with varying writers and it's only more noticeable in season 3 and 4 because they solidified most of the characters with the information from the previous seasons. Besides I'd only say "Castle Mane-ia" and "Three's a Crowd" had her possibly misportrayed this season.

• Brohoof 2

If anything, I've grown to like her more this season, as she seems to do her antics in a more conscious, deliberately funny sense. Maybe it was always there and my increasing liking of Pinkie is letting me see that, but she's definitely moved up my list.

• Brohoof 2