Should I change my ponysona?

Steel Accord

Should I change my pony race?  

14 users have voted

1. 1. Should I change my pony race?

• Yes, go earth pony.
    • No, stay a pegasus.
    • Neither, go crystal pony!

Now, I know some of you know me as Steel Accord so well that you would never think I should change that identity. Well don't worry, I don't intend to.

There IS something I'm considering now though. I created my pony self's form with the idea that I would serve in the military, and the pegasi seemed to have the most martial culture. That desire is now gone from me. Yet, interestingly enough, I've retained my cutie-mark. For those who don't know, it's a sword crossed with a pen, which I drew from the samurai adage of "the pen and sword, in equal accord." Which, I'm sure you can construe, is also where I got my name from.

My passion for both writing and weapon martial arts has actually improved over time, what hasn't, has been any sense of duty, order, regulations or anything I originally associated with the pegasi. Now I know that's not the only thing pegasi have in their nature and obviously everypony is an individual. It just seems like, if I were to be true to myself, I more highly value integrity, clarity of purpose, and strength. Those are traits I more closely associate with earth ponies.

What do you guys think? Keep in mind this not something I consider lightly and would like a response more than "do what you want." This is how I express myself as a fan of the show and representative within this world we love. As in all things, I want to be truly sincere with this.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 2

Well, you've already gave good reasons for switching Steel into an Earth Pony, so I think you should just go for it. If it fits you and your character better, than why not?

Edited by Blue Moon

I think you shouldn't change your ponysona, because if it defines who you are then you should stick with him if you feel that it is necessary to stay with him.

What if I feel like that part of me is no longer represented honestly though?

Well, you've already gave good reasons for switching Steel into an Earth Pony, so I think you should just go for it. If it fits you and your character better, than why not?

Well a lot of people know me as a pegasus and I have a lot of RP and fanfic (albeit uncompleted) stories with that as my nature.

• Brohoof 1

Well a lot of people know me as a pegasus and I have a lot of RP and fanfic (albeit uncompleted) stories with that as my nature.

Still, it is your character, and you have the right to change it if you don't feel it represents you well anymore. I'm pretty sure most people will understand if you switched Steel to an Earth Pony.

• Brohoof 3

Why not both? Have an alternate personality. Seriously, I've done that. In my fanfic, one of my OCs Clover is a young filly, only just getting her cutie mark, however I RP with her as an adult mare. I've also got OCs in the fanfic who have never been imported over here. My ponysona is a batwinged pegasus, yet I never RP with her.

I think it'll work as a pegasi, as even though some of those traits you think you see more of in them are fading, it's still your character, and it can change with you... North have changed quite a bit since I first made him, and I have made small changes as I meself have changed over time~

• Brohoof 1

Tell me my friends, what about me personally do you associate with being a pegasus? Keep in mind, even if I do make the switch, I shall remain a pegasus for the duration of our roleplays. This isn't about Steel the character, this about Steel-ME.

Help me resolve this morphological dissonance in my head. I need something true about myself that is without a doubt a pegasus trait to affirm this image in my mind. (As some of you can tell, I'm having a rough time right now.)

Why not both? Have an alternate personality. Seriously, I've done that. In my fanfic, one of my OCs Clover is a young filly, only just getting her cutie mark, however I RP with her as an adult mare. I've also got OCs in the fanfic who have never been imported over here. My ponysona is a batwinged pegasus, yet I never RP with her.

Well Steel IS my ponysona. He's not just a pony body I sleeve into whenever I want to go to Equestria, he's me. I guess this is just an unseen shortcoming when you associate a malleable avatar with yourself; as you change over time, that avatar becomes less of a simulacrum and more of a snapshot of your mental state at the time of it's creation.  

I say stay with your roots. Yes, it's true that people change are you're changing, but I believe that you should stay what you've always been. What does it matter if traits and aspects don't apply to a pegasus? A person is a person, no matter what skin colour, no matter what sex, no matter what they look like, and it's the same with ponies.

I know this is a kids show and it was made for young girls and never ever an audience like us but.. we can't take that for granted. If it really is a kids show, a moral in every character by default would be that differences don't matter. For example, Scootaloo in Flight to the Finish, Sweetie Belle and Applebloom don't make an excuse for her not being able to fly, they just accept it and stand up for her. The only reason Diamond Tiara and Sliver Spoon do such cynical things to the Cutie Mark Crusaders are because they just the best for themselves, they're kids and they all they want is too feel good and accepted and the best they can be.

Anywho, I'm straying off topic.

I think stay with who you've been all along, even if you are changing and becoming more of earth pony aspects than pegasi aspects... Well, let's put it the way that if you were born a pegasus, you'd always be a pegasus even if you change, it would still be a part of who you are, not of our personality or anything but of your mindset and your soul, because those always stay the same.

Hope I helped you, my dear friend :)

• Brohoof 1

Why does this need to become a thread?

It's a simple "Hmm, should I change a character I made that I'm gonna forget about it in 1-3 years time from 'a' to 'b'?" questions that don't require consensus from a large amount of people.

@@Zhooves,

@@Pripyat Pony,  

I say stay with your roots. Yes, it's true that people change are you're changing, but I believe that you should stay what you've always been. What does it matter if traits and aspects don't apply to a pegasus? A person is a person, no matter what skin colour, no matter what sex, no matter what they look like, and it's the same with ponies.

I know this is a kids show and it was made for young girls and never ever an audience like us but.. we can't take that for granted. If it really is a kids show, a moral in every character by default would be that differences don't matter. For example, Scootaloo in Flight to the Finish, Sweetie Belle and Applebloom don't make an excuse for her not being able to fly, they just accept it and stand up for her. The only reason Diamond Tiara and Sliver Spoon do such cynical things to the Cutie Mark Crusaders are because they just the best for themselves, they're kids and they all they want is too feel good and accepted and the best they can be.

Anywho, I'm straying off topic.

I think stay with who you've been all along, even if you are changing and becoming more of earth pony aspects than pegasi aspects... Well, let's put it the way that if you were born a pegasus, you'd always be a pegasus even if you change, it would still be a part of who you are, not of our personality or anything but of your mindset and your soul, because those always stay the same.

Hope I helped you, my dear friend :)

Huh . . . . I never thought of it that way.

Thanks Budding. 

Thank you my friends for your contributions. I needed them.

For my final decision, the wings are here to stay!  B)

• Brohoof 3