S04:E12 - Pinkie Pride  

472 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Perhaps. Pinkie is the undisputed goofball of the Mane 6, but when the show focuses specifically on her, I think we see a very charming character who genuinely wants nothing more than to make everyone else happy. She gets her greatest happiness and joy from seeing others have a good time, from her closest friends to a complete stranger (Cranky), to month-old babies. Who among us can't relate to that?

The problem I see with Pinkie, though, is that when she's NOT the center of attention, the writers seem to have pigeonholed her into the role of a shallow, hyperactive ditz who demonstrates the level of intelligence and emotional depth of a six-year-old. Season 4 has done this to an extreme. Which is why episodes like Pinkie Pride are refreshing reminders that there's more to Pinkie's personality than just screaming, bouncing and obsessing over chocolate frosting.

Good point. You're probably right.

• 2 weeks later...

I hated this episode at first. Because of the "real" Gummy and the "real" Boneless, and because it had too many songs.
But after watching it again and again, I must say it's a very special episode, some songs are great (the first one <3), and Cheese Sandwich is an excellent character.

Edited by BlobuIle

I hated this episode at first. Because of the "real" Gummy and the "real" Fishbone...

I know you changed your mind later, but why would you hate the whole episode just because you didn't like one gag?  

Also, the chicken was named Boneless.

I know you changed your mind later, but why would you hate the whole episode just because you didn't like one gag?  

I can't speak for Blobulle, but for my part, the live-action bits screamed shark jump to me at first. I later changed my mind on that, but I still think it's awfully jarring.

Woops! Fixed. Dunno why I called it Fishbone. XD

That wasn't the only thing I disliked, there was also the Goof off, and I found there were too many songs.

Edited by BlobuIle

This is by far my favorite MLP episode of all time! Though the live-action shots were a little off-putting, the episode was so great (best songs, and "Wierd" Al was AWESOME! - I hope they bring him back), that I was able to over-look those minor SpongeBob references.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm honestly shocked that some people had any problems at all with this episode.

This is like... a friend in deed PART 2.
An amazing Pinkie episode full of musical delight.

This is honestly one of the episodes i'd give a non-brony to get them interested in the show.

My most re-watched episode of the season and 2nd place in my season rankings.
It was in 1st place until i saw the finale, which overtook it.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly don't understand how anyone DIDN'T have any problems with this episode. Usually you'll get a bunch of people who pick out the flaws in every episode.

I can do it right now! How about this:

- the Ponyville dwellers switch their allegiance on a dime. 

- So Pinkie Pie is not a bumbling idiot this time (people act like she wasn't a bumbling idiot since season 1 unless an episode focused on her). Ok, but... why does it feel the rest of M6 was dumbed down, especially Rainbow Dash?

- Cheese's "plan" to imperss Pinkie doesn't make any sense.

- Cheese's "superiority" doesn't make any sense. Pinkie already made a party similar to the birth-versary. In the Canterlot Wedding.

- Oh, and the story structure? Happy! Sad. Happy! Sad. Happy!

(edited)

I honestly don't understand how anyone DIDN'T have any problems with this episode. Usually you'll get a bunch of people who pick out the flaws in every episode.

I can do it right now! How about this:

- the Ponyville dwellers switch their allegiance on a dime. 

- So Pinkie Pie is not a bumbling idiot this time (people act like she wasn't a bumbling idiot since season 1 unless an episode focused on her). Ok, but... why does it feel the rest of M6 was dumbed down, especially Rainbow Dash?

- Cheese's "plan" to imperss Pinkie doesn't make any sense.

- Cheese's "superiority" doesn't make any sense. Pinkie already made a party similar to the birth-versary. In the Canterlot Wedding.

- Oh, and the story structure? Happy! Sad. Happy! Sad. Happy!

- Their allegiance didn't switch. Cheese showed up, and everyone excitedly asked him to HELP with the party.

PINKIE'S the one who took it the wrong way. They NEVER said that Pinkie wasn't planning it anymore.

In fact, the first friggin thing Twilight says when she next sees Pinkie is "Aren't you going to help Cheese Sandwich plan the party?"

Her wording should have been better, but she clearly meant exactly what happened at the end of the episode. A Pinkie/Cheese COLLAB.

- Aided by the first point, i'd say that no one was dumbed down. Dash always speaks before she thinks, so her poor choice of words to Pinkie wasn't OOC.

"Pinkie Pie's parties are fun, sweet and all... but now this party's gonna be epic!" - IMO, she's talking about the collab.

Just make it "but now you're here to help out, this party's gonna be epic!", and you'll see what i mean.

- It wasn't a "plan" so much as it was an "intention". Cheese himself said that he wasn't looking to take Pinkie's place in Ponyville.

He himself probably expected a collab from the beginning, and wanted to show Pinkie his prowess as they worked side by side.

Pinkie: "Who's going to help me plan this party?" Cheese: "I am."

^ Remember that? Right off the bat, he wanted to work WITH her. ^

If Pinkie didn't call him "boneless" and activate his Marty McFly syndrome, i'm not so sure Cheese would've accepted her goof off challenge.

He'd probably even tell her to chill out, saying he doesn't want to fight her.

Though i guess he might have also accepted the challenge so he could show off some more of his party skills to Pinkie.

- The birth-versary was the hugest, rocking-est party that's ever been seen in the show.

The birth-versary was almost a friggin THEME PARK. With pools, stages, rollercoasters, giant balloon figures, huge confetti canons, a giant pizza, etc.

The little bit of Pinkie's plans that were shown in Canterlot Wedding were board games and the chicken dance. I'm not seeing the "wow" factor here.

Even the party itself was just shown as a dj booth and a dance floor. Pretty lame compared to the birth-versary.

- Hey, just like real life! Like these characters have feelings and motivations, and that they have their high and low points in life.

Also, such a frenetic story structure fits Pinkie's character and is the only pony who can pull it off naturally (which i think she did).

We saw in Party Of One that she was really quick to dip into insanity when she thought her friends didn't like her anymore.

She puts on parties to make her friends happy, which in turn makes her happy.

Not being able to do it, through being upstaged or otherwise, will obviously make her depressed.

But because Pinkie is naturally optimistic and chipper, she's also quick to bounce back when she finds a reason to smile.

So in short, i believe nothing was out of place and i consider this one of MLP's all-time best showings.

Edited by Luffyiscool
  • Brohoof 2

Alright this is one of my favorite episodes in one of my favorite seasons of the show. What was good about it, well...

1. Pinkie Pie wasn't an idiot. I hate how she is shown in episodes such as Three's a Crowd, Filli Vanilli, among others. Their using her as a gag, something to laugh at when your just rolling your eyes. In Pinkie Pride we get that Pinkie is a lot deeper then she is portrayed most of the time showing her insecurities a bit like they did in Party of One.

2. Two the music. Both Weird Al and Andrea Libman have wonderful voices and while the songs were no This Day Aria or Play Your Part, but they really showed the story and the characters.

3. The lesson: Don't let your own desires hurt your friends. While not one of the strongest lessons it was portrayed well and I liked Cheese's confession.

All in all, Brilliant!

• Brohoof 3

2. Two the music. Both Weird Al and Andrea Libman have wonderful voices

I agree with your post, but i feel like I should point this out.

Andrea only sang in the goof-off. Everything else was Shannon Chan-Kent, Pinkie's usual singer.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich look good togerther as a super duper party ponies!

Wait..

IF they are both super duper party ponies that make them together super extreme party ponies?

Edited by MarioPieShy

• 4 weeks later...

Um, the ponies are celebrating like it is some weird thing to happen with it being Rainbow's 'Birthaversary' but if Rainbow moved to Ponyville on her birthday than every year must be her birthaversary right?

Um, the ponies are celebrating like it is some weird thing to happen with it being Rainbow's 'Birthaversary' but if Rainbow moved to Ponyville on her birthday than every year must be her birthaversary right?

Yeah, I thought that was strange as well.  

Words can't express how extremely hard it was for me to watch this episode

At the moment Pinkie Pie realizes she's not everyone's favorite super party pony anymore, I felt my heart sink into a blackhole, it was ridiculously painful, I cried, actually cried when she started to sing her song about giving up parties... Pinkie Pie being sad is a capital sin!

Edit: I noticed there are people here actually feeling annoyed with Pinkie Pie being used to make just along the season

Guys what the heck is your problem? Pinkie Pie is MEANT to be funny, she makes jokes, it is what makes her happy all the way, you can't expect EVERY episode to show how deep Pinkie Pie is

Even though she sure is a deep character, most of the time is just doing what she was born to: Smile

Edited by Caleb Rosengard
  • Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

This episode was great! Like, wow! I loved every bit of it! I mean, sure the sad part was sad, but it was extremely deep! Like, it was teaching kids that there will always be someone better then them, however that doesn't mean that they still can't be the favorite, and to still do what they love even if there is someone better then them! Wow, I mean, that is a pretty hard lesson to teach kids, but they did it so well! This episode... it's... it's just... gah so good! And they had weird al, and the songs, and... mnnn~ so good!

• Brohoof 4

I related heavily to this episode,it brought the feels.  :maud:

Excellent episode,second favorite next to Party of One.  :maud:

I love how you use That emoticon, it makes all that you said feels like sarcasm xD

Anyway, I'm back here because I finally got what's the actual problem: in the first 2 seasons, Pinkie Pie was funny, but funny like an actual person, and recently he has been funny in a more... unnatural way, is that so? Or is it just me trying too hard to understand something that is actually really simple?

• Brohoof 3