S04:E12 - Pinkie Pride  

472 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Another thing this episode served to highlight is that it's unclear how Pinkie's party planning works. Is Pinkie ever paid for her party planning? If and when she isn't, does Pinkie buy all the materials for her parties herself? If so, how does Pinkie make that kind of money? When Pinkie is going around gathering party supplies, we don't see her paying the merchants for streamers, paint, banners, etc., so does she have a contract with them? Or do these merchants simply give away their wares to Pinkie so that she can plan her parties? When Pinkie makes her "guarantee" to Rainbow Dash, what does that mean? What happens if Rainbow Dash (or any other recipient of a party to whom Pinkie made such a guarantee) is NOT satisfied with Pinkie's party?

This is an interesting point, and one I've thought about before (and part of why I see Pinkie as a fairly tragic character). I always assumed she lives meagerly and spends all of her paycheck that doesn't go toward rent/food on party supplies. And yeah, she probably has some kind of payment system set up with them to speed up the party preparation process.

And we saw exactly what happens if she breaks the party guarantee... she leaves town.

If Cheese Sandwich's purpose in going to Ponyville and volunteering to help plan Rainbow Dash's party was to show Pinkie how great of a party pony he is, and how she was an inspiration to him, then why didn't he tell her that before? Why did he allow everyone to leave Pinkie behind when he "showed her up"? Why did he go through all of the party planning and not even talk to Pinkie while she moped alone at Sugarcube Corner? Why did he agree to the "goof off", which might have made Pinkie look bad or made him look bad and stopped him from planning the party and proving himself to Pinkie? His actions throughout the episode often seem inconsistent with his stated goal and supposed admiration for Pinkie.

I got the impression he was ashamed of his past, and lied to make himself seem more like his perfect image of Pinkie. And Pinkie getting left behind was more her own fault for faking a smile until she could escape unnoticed. And going so far into the party setup makes some sense considering that Rainbow did stay with him, and he didn't want to disappoint her by leaving to search for Pinkie (especially if he was aware that Twilight was going to check on her). But accepting the challenge really doesn't make sense... at least until she called him boneless, which I assume is a Back to the Future reference (Marty doing stupid things when anyone calls him chicken). I guess before then it could have been his own pride, wanting to show off to Pinkie. But it just doesn't seem right that he keeps his game face on even after she adds the victory condition.

Finally, while there were, of course, lots of nonsensical things and events in the episode, a couple stuck out to me in particular. One was the scene where Pinkie is getting paint during the first song. Of course, it makes no sense for Pinkie to transport a bunch of paint by just having it slosh around in her bag. But what I don't understand is how the different colors of paint are separate when the merchant pours them in a single stream into Pinkie's bag, then they mix into a brown mess once they're all in the bag (which is what we would expect), but then when she's painting the banner, the colors are all separate again. The other one I'll point out is the fruit punch pool with floating food in it, which is Cheese Sandwich's idea. I would think that that would be a lot more sticky and nasty than fun.

This show does have liquid rainbows that stay separated, so extending that to paint isn't too crazy (and turning brown in the bag was pretty funny :P). I was wondering if that punch pool was sugar-free, or if everyone came out a horrible sticky mess :lol: But actually it's probably just water with a little color in it, and food shaped inflatables.

I LOVED THE EPISODE BUT THERE WERE NO SPOONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Silver Spoon was present at least :P I wish she'd gotten a line in the song. But she still got a little character development, showing that she's not entirely subservient to Diamond Tiara by taking the milkshake back when she was distracted.

Another funny (and slightly unsettling) thing I noticed on second viewing is that just before the real-life Gummy shot, Pinkie says he's "tastier than cake" :lol: A reference to this, perhaps?

post-9686-0-47292000-1391324560_thumb.jpg

And Rainbow really does deserve the title of iron pony, because her head must be made of it:

post-9686-0-02584200-1391329896_thumb.jpg

Loved it soooo much was going on in each scene, they really stepped up the animation for this episode, also you could tell the animators had alot of fun with this episode so many expressions. Cheese sandwich was everything i could of asked for, Weird Al is a legend. Goof off and Derpy chocolate drinking were my favourite parts 10/10

• Brohoof 3

At first I was like "awwww Pinkie has a sad". Then I was like "awwwwwwww Pinkie has a saaaad!" Then I was like "YAY MORE DERPY".

It feels like Weird Al really connected with the writers here, they put him in pony form and gave him a bunch of songs and he just took it right over the crazy cliff. I've always liked Al's music, but seeing him like this was great.

I love how they've brought Derpy back as a permanent background pony. Even if she doesn't speak again, I'm just happy that my favourite pony has gone from the utterly ridiculous "Where's Derpy" bollocks in S3 to doing goofy things and even interacting with the main cast in S4. To me, it feels like FiM has been made whole again, and as a Derpy fanatic I am content.

EDIT: Now that I think about it... how did Derpy NOT burn her muzzle drinking chocolate fondue? :eep:

Edited by DerpyFanatic
  • Brohoof 2

Okay, so in Daring Don't we get an Aztec pyramid, Aztec themed ponies, Ahuizotl (who's an Aztec mythical creature), then Pinkie Pie sings this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnNO_TY95ys

As with a giant rainbow colored Piñata shaped like a birthday cake!
Now, I'm gonna guess that somewhere in Equestria there is a place called Mexicolt.

Edited by lucasliso

My review of the episoide

Pro
+Good songs
+Good animations
+ Third Pie sister? I would love to see who she is
+ I loved how Cheese Sandwich's cannon looked like a dalek a little bit
+Cheese Sandwhich being Pinkie revival and eventual friend
+Cheese wearing a fez
+Derpy
+Good story and character building for Pinkie

Cons
-Even though it was for 16 seconds, they used live action footage which was an kick balls for me and the series, in my opinion. I hope it recovers from that below
- Shouldn't her mane gone straight when she was sad?  I  would have loved to see that and it made sense for the song and scences  at hand.
-When Spike said sorry it made no sense because he had  only one other line and appearance in the ep that kinda wasn't needed.

Overall
I can guess overlook the live action footage and rest of the cons and say this episode is my 5th favorite episode (10th favorite episode if you include the live action footage) of MLP. It has good music and a good story overall with a bit of foreshadowing.
I give it:
8/10

Ohmygosh, somany reasons to love this episode:

-Pinkie singing

-Weir l killing it (boneless XD)

-Lyra and Bon Bon standing next to each other

-Derpy

-RL GUMMY!!! (I seriously almost feel out of m chair)

10/10, can't think of a way to improve.

The episode feels like it's saying "Pinkie's only purpose in life is partying."

How exactly did you get that vibe? To me it seemed pretty clear that what's important to Pinkie was to bring joy to others, not the party itself.

Edited by Silverwisp the Bard
  • Brohoof 1

By far my favorite episode of the season! Maybe even the whole series

I am a huge fan of Weird Al, so when i heard he would be Cheese Sandwhich I was extremly excited, and he did not let me down!

The songs were beyond amazing. It was a delight seeing Weird Al sing in pony form! Pinkie's voice is beyond amazing as always..

And also... I guess we have out third key being a rubber chicken???

Great character development for Pinkie, because most of us know that she hasn't really been in character this season

I don't think Photofinish is my favorite one shot anymore..

Overall rating: 10000000000000/10

• Brohoof 1

Now this episode was cascading with energy and charisma, to all those who have said Pinkie Pie was out of character in season four, satisfied yet? and to those who scorn Rainbow Dash, Rarity or Applejack for having too much pride, this episode showed that even Pinkie Pie can be as vain as the rest of the mane six, and that is okay. Cheese Sandwich was an amazing addition to MLP, roaming from town to town giving out parties, and hoofed it to Ponyville to give Rainbow Dash a birthday and celebrate her move to Ponyville, which is not bad, Weird Al definitely had fun with his performance, the musical numbers were hyper and entertainingly pleasant, I also love how he gets some back story, which is why I long to see the back stories of Trixie and Lightning Dust, it can like Cheese Sandwich's exposition. I like the call backs in this episode, such as Diamond Tiara's cutesinera from season one, Appleloosa and the Buffalo, the Cakes with the foals Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake, it also good continuity, I also noticed all of the fan favourite background ponies, I have seen and favourite on Deviant art, so that was great to see too. Although Pinkie Pie has a reputation of being a happy go lucky pony, she is not above the foible behaviours, we see the tragic side of comedy, that have played out in real life, like Phil Hartman, Chris Farley, John Belushi, and if I may be bold Justin Carmichael, on the outside the were larger than life, yet on the flip side the had moments of melancholia, Pinkie Pie made other ponies happy while she had thoughts of depression, most of us have done that, deceive people by showing our sunny side, by masking our shadowy side, proof that Pinkie Pie is not always aloof, she is more complicated than fans give her credit. In the end, Pinkie Pie was resuscitated by her friends and Cheese Sandwich himself, also proof that friends can help relieve the heartache, and Rainbow Dash was a great a friend as ever to Pinkie, plus the goof off between Cheese and Pinkie was entertaining, Weird Al and Andrea Libman had good timing and pitch, this is now one of my favourite Pinkie Pie episodes ever, until next week "Simple Ways."       

Lol, I've been watching this episode so freakin much. Everything about it was pure gold; the music, story, tugs at your heart. Genius!

Let's not forget the part in the goof off when cheese was making Rainbow do funny faces. Reminded me of Pikachu and his stupid faces.

post-20175-0-72790000-1391365666.jpg

Edited by Cupcakes14
  • Brohoof 1

After rewatching the episode I think it might be my favorite in, not just Season 4, but the entire series. We get to experience the emotional fragility of Pinkie Pie again in a similar fashion to Party of One, but this episode shows Pinkie has matured since then. It plays on the emotional side of Pinkie's tale unlike another Pinkie episode I love, Party of One, which played up the humorous side of a similar breakdown. This changes my personal top 10 list up a bit.

1. Pinkie Pride

2. Hurricane Fluttershy

3. Sleepless in Ponyville

4. Suited for Success

5. Rarity Takes Manehattan

6. Magical Mystery Cure

7. Lesson Zero

8. Bats!

9. Too Many Pinkie Pies

10. Luna Eclipsed

Edited by DryColt84

Can someone please explain what Weird Al is? Everyone says it all the time when speaking about this episode but I don't get it :blush:

Howdy all!

This episode is BRILLIANT B)

Wierd Al as Cheese Sandwich is superb!

Once again Daniel Ingram did a superior job on the songs.

Shannon Chan Kent was amazing singing.

Besides Andrea Libman as Pinkie.

Who woulda thunk Chantal Strand chipping in as Diamond Tiara :lol:

I was impressed.

But yes out of all the Pinkie related episodes this is icing on the cake.

:yay:

Bravo Bravo!!

• Brohoof 1

@@Silverwisp the Bard,

The lyrics in the song. The lyrics feel a bit misguided to me. She pretty much wanted to give up partying after everypony went with Cheese Weird Al. The lyrics make it seem as if partying is her only method of making others happy.

In the comic, she tried her hoof at being a clown. 

I have really mixed feelings about it...

On one hand, it was a lively, downright hyper episode what was rather entertaining (it was almost like it was co-directed by the ghost of Tex Avery), really liked the Weird Al's performance, Pinkie was the absolute best she's been all see season, and I just love Shannon-Kent's singing.

On the other...look past all the singing and goofiness and the plot's shallow and kind of messed up. I kept thinking it was just a birthday/anniversary she moved to town party, yet you'd think the fate of all Equestria hung the balance. When Other 5 gasped at hearing the loser wouldn't be headlining the party and Pinkie & Cheese were so tense, all I just thought "calm the buck down". It seems to have the same problem as "Magical Mystery Cure" where they put more work making the songs than the episode itself :blink:

Though at least this proves that it wasn't Pinkie that was the problem this season, but the way they've been shoe-horning all Mane 6 into stories where some of them didn't do crap in. So that let's her off the hook and takes a load of my mind :)

I think I'll have to think about it some before passing final judgment :huh:

Can someone please explain what Weird Al is? Everyone says it all the time when speaking about this episode but I don't get it :blush:

Alfred Matthew "Weird Al" Yankovic, a singer/songwriter/comedian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/"Weird_Al"_Yankovic

Edited by Jangobadass

@,

The fact everyone were gasping at the fact the loser was not gonna hold the party was just a joke.

It was a parody of how every movie gotta have this extreme loser condition, which shocks everybody.

I have seen this joke multiple times in other shows as well, but it was still really funny =)

@,

The fact everyone were gasping at the fact the loser was not gonna hold the party was just a joke.

It was a parody of how every movie gotta have this extreme loser condition, which shocks everybody.

Good point. Hadn't thought of it like that.

Though I'm not a big fan of when other shows use that joke either...